Possible new/retro-fit computer. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Planetside doesn't already take enough of your time, eh?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-03-16, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Assist
Contributor
Major

Possible new/retro-fit computer.

My performance is complete dogshit in PS2 right now. Unfortuantely it's the only game I want to play but I get wicked headaches from playing with 12-25 FPS is large fights.
So my solution is to upgrade, if it will help. I think the major weakpoint in my system is the CPU.

Currently I have:
CPU: i7 960 Bloomfield ~3.5ghz (LGA 1366)
MOBO: Gigabyte x58A-UD5
MEMORY: 12 gb DDR3 1600 (triple channel 3x4 :\)
GPU CARD: GeForce GTX680 2GB
HDD: 2x OCZ SSD 128 gb
CASE: CoolerMaster HAF 932
PSU: Corsair 1000w
HEATSINK: Coolmaster 212 Hyperthingerguy

What I want:
High sustainable FPS in Planetside2. Really that's all I want, I'd be happy with 60-80 in large fights with the game looking good. If you have a rig that does it, let me know what it is and if you would upgrade anything in it, what would that be! I'm to the point that I'm considering buying an entirely new computer but I think I could also salvage some of my current computer to build a new one.
I know that intel has new chips coming out, I don't know much about them but from what I can gather they are supposed to have an increase for gaming but nothing too dramatic? If it's worth waiting for something new coming out in the next 3-4 months, then I'd certainly consider waiting unless of course it's simply a matter of popping out the old stuff and putting in the new when it releases.
I'm not looking to make the top of the top of the line, but I do want something semi-future proof. Money is not much of a concern, as long as it's not going excessively overboard.

Questions answered from the thread above:
1. Are you building this computer yourself or having one built for you (Like HP, Alienware, or even a small shop)?
I could do either. I've built them in the past, the last one I bought from ibuypower. If it's a cheap price difference for someone else to go through hiding wires and not having to deal with any RMA, I'm willing to just have someone else build it. I can do it myself though.

2. What is your budget and does that include shipping/taxes?
Budget is completely negotiable. I wouldn't so much call it a budget as it's money not going into my motorcycle this year!

3. Where do you live (Please list town, state, and country)?
Town! We don't gots no towns out here! I live in Landenberg, PA - USA. Where Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania come together, I'm about a mile from there.

4. What do you need this computer to do (like gaming, Photoshop, and so on)?
Gaming. Pure gaming. If I'm not gaming I'm not on the computer, unless I'm at work and being unproductive.

5. What parts will you need for the computer? List what parts specifically, saying you need everything will not do.
Went through this above. Depends completely on what's more viable - Completely new build or re-using some of the old.

6. Are you reusing any parts for this computer? If so say what parts (make and model).
Things I know I can reuse are the video card and power supply. I could probably reuse the case and hdd, but I would also like a larger SSD.

7. What kind of monitor/resolution do you have or want to get to use for the computer?
Don't need a monitor, unless it's a good deal for a 120 hz one? I've never researched the 120 hz monitors but I know some people swear by them for gaming. I use a 23" 2ms Samsung Syncmaster PX2370

8. Do you have already have a OS or do you need one? What OS is that?
I use windows 7 and would prefer to stick with windows 7 unless you have a good argument to go to windows 8.

9. What are you looking for the motherboard to have feature wise? Like SLI, Crossfire, Firewire, USB 3.0, Sata 6.0 Gb/s, and so on.
SLI? Maybe? I don't know. This falls more into the 'tell me what I need' category that I'm hoping you guys can answer for me.I don't have any special devices that plugin. I use USB keyboard/mouse/mic/phone. Typical audio 3.5mm plug? I think for headphones.

10. Any plans to overclock the CPU or GPU?
If you can walk me through it, sure. Will I do it myself? Hells no. I've learned from work that me and electric don't go together and the first word you read about overclocking is voltage.

11. What time kind of time frame are you planning on ordering these parts?

Depends, I could order today. I could order in 3 months if it's worth waiting for something fancy coming out.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Assist; 2013-03-16 at 02:36 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum