PC Magazine reviews Core Combat - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'd hit it!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-02-08, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sokko
Private

PC Magazine reviews Core Combat

God, I can't believe I never signed up for these forums until now. They're a great resource to have available if you've temporarily dropped your subscription.

Anyways, PC Magazine's After Hours column, which contains brief reviews and ratings for some of the latest PC games, focused on Online Games this month. They had little ill to say about Core Combat, and gave it a 4/5 rating. However, I found the following part of the review most interesting: "...easily discouraged players should be aware that efforts to make a difference and turn the tide almost always seem to be defeated."

So what do you think? Are they spot-on, or off the mark? Mature discussion is preferred over flame wars.
Old 2004-02-08, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
EarlyDawn
Major General

Means as much as getting GOTY from Spike TV: It looks nice for your 2nd expansion's box cover, but as far as reviewer qualifications go, meaningless.
Old 2004-02-08, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
UncleDynamite
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by LNS0388
Means as much as getting GOTY from Spike TV: It looks nice for your 2nd expansion's box cover, but as far as reviewer qualifications go, meaningless.
Very true.

As for your question, there are indeed cases where trying to turn the tide will fail. There are plenty of times, however, where the dedication of a few players in holding a key location or hacking a vital base behind enemy lines will help a seemingly hopeless situation become managable. Basically, if you're willing to use tactics to outsmart the enemy, mindless offensives can be halted (at least temporarily).
Old 2004-02-08, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

"...easily discouraged players should be aware that efforts to make a difference and turn the tide almost always seem to be defeated."
They may be right about that. It takes quite a considerable ammount of skill and a great outfit to pull off maneuvers that turn the tide of battle. This can take a lot of Battle rank and a lot of time mastering the game to achieve
Old 2004-02-08, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I'd say four out of five stars for Core Combat is a pretty brave and accurate review, if when reviewing it, you're reviewing also the entire game-experience, and not only the difference in combat between the expansion and the basic game.

I bought Core Combat for two accounts and have already gotten my money's worth in cool, new and challenging game sessions.

/Loyalty Until Death

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2004-02-08, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

In this game, one person should not have that much effect on the outcome of an entire campaign - the power is supposed to be in numbers. That's my opinion, anyway.
Old 2004-02-08, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Spee
Colonel

Actually, it only takes a little luck, Surge, and the right certifications to turn the tide of a battle.

Hop in an AI MAX, and plow through 20 enemies, thus pushing the enemy further back towards thier spawn point.

Surge past the various people at the first staircase in a tower, take out HA, nuke the two or three guys in rexo guarding the CC, and hack.

Cloak and plant a boomer at the feet of that locked-down TR max thats owning all your friends.

Turning 'the tide' of battle is often a lot less spectacular than it seems, because, you will die. There is no way getting around it if you're doing something risky enough to destroy the enemies chance's at defending or offending.

Or, alternatively, do what me and a few other outfitmates did to win forseral for the NC a while back - Pile into a deliverer, locate the base with the mods in it, jack them, and put them at your base. The instant me/gerb/jc did that, flails started being produced, the shield went up, pain fields went active, and BAM - The NC were on the offensive, almost instantly.

It makes you feel really special. Though, Ive only managed to turn the tide, by myself, or, with others in a small group, a handful of times since I started in sept. But, its WAY worth it.
Old 2004-02-08, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DaniFilth
Private

it's a fucking amazin expansion! remember beta!!!!!!!!!!!! shud be like that dont tell ppl not to buy
Old 2004-02-08, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Spee
Colonel

Originally Posted by DaniFilth
it's a fucking amazin expansion! remember beta!!!!!!!!!!!! shud be like that dont tell ppl not to buy

Hi porkfryer.
Old 2004-02-08, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
DDSHADE
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

That article is fairly accurate, it portrays how some people feel about not being able to make much of a difference, in a big PS battle, but that part is just actually how it is when you are in a big war, your actions will only add into the main battle, they won't make too much of a difference. Sometimes you can make a fairly big difference in PS by dowqning a whole base by yourself, all you really need is either some good Heavy Assault skills or oto know how to infiltrate, meaning ALWAYS CROUCHING and properly equipping yourself with the right materials needed to take out a generator and/ooor spawn room.

You decide
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion