Friendly fire, problem or not? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nerf Vanu plz.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-07-03, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Wahooo
Captain

Re: Friendly fire, problem or not?

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
Yeah, but when you're fighting the godawful netcode you can get hit by/or hit friendlies that aren't actually on your screen.
This is exactly why the PS1 grief system is so good. Because accidents happen and a few accidents every once in a while will not really punish you. 200 grief after a play session is not unreasonable ... 10 times where I normally am but still not unreasonable. If you are pushing weapons lock regularly there is only one direction blame should go.

PS1 grief system punishes careless play and out right douchebaggery while allowing for accidents and the occasional revenge TK. I just hope PS2 has a similarly balanced system. Yes it could be improved but it works as intended. And yes I will be testing it out in PS2 just to see.
Old 2012-07-03, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Monsta
Corporal

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Why don't we just add in targeting reticles around all players while we are at it. There is a point at which information becomes too available. The only thing we should have are visual and names, but the radar will almost certainly show friendlies as well. We don't need more IFF tools than that.

You don't get it. The higher the alert of you shooting your own medic, the beter you try to be accurate on your aim and which target to shoot. Giving an alert is an reaction on an action. These extra's are a pointer who to keep shooting after you trigger your finger, not before.

The real question is how much damage friendly fire should it do? Exactly the same? Like catching a missile or sniper (head)shot on an enemy target is an instant kill, or in case of friendly fire it only does 75% damage, so a change is given to forgive your stupid ass team mate wearing in the same red/gray outfit and get out of the action for a few seconds to heal your self? What do you think its fair?

Originally Posted by The Loverator View Post
unfunny Person walking around in "Pink" or Stuff or trying to make his Uniform/Armor as ugly/provocative as possible in Order to "troll People"
I'm feeling quite confident in telling myself that game devs and designers won't introduce something silly like that. But to be honest, I think the zebra and other animal textures are already silly enough.. I mean... comon.. dressing up in a max suite is already noticeable enough, even if you would give it the invisible mode.

Last edited by Monsta; 2012-07-03 at 02:19 PM.
Old 2012-07-03, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
MCYRook
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Karrade View Post
Not unless the devs say to a handful of players, we want you to try and TK, and try and get around the system. Make multi accounts, try to push the system, do everything a person just looking to TK/grief would do.
That is actually a very wise thing to do for Beta.

IMO the PS1 grief system worked excellently overall, with only a few weak points. It managed a well-working balance to on the one hand not weapon-lock players for accidental friendly fire, and on the other hand prevent malicious TKers from TKing more than a short duration. It will need some tweaking to accomodate for PS2, but in general I can't think of a better concept.

What I am concerned about for PS2 is griefers just switching to a new account once they have gotten one account locked or suspended. I'm curious how the devs are going to keep that in check. Should absolutely betatest that.

Last edited by MCYRook; 2012-07-03 at 02:11 PM.
Old 2012-07-03, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Impressive, I drive vehicles all day in PS1 and never hit friendlies.
95% of my play time is in a vehicle. I get run into all the same. Maybe once or twice is a collision my fault. Lightnings are the worst offenders... mainly because they aren't watching.

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
Yeah, but when you're fighting the godawful netcode you can get hit by/or hit friendlies that aren't actually on your screen.
That too... I telefragged an Enforcer with a BFR yesterday, entirely out of my control. Earned 350 Grief.

Old 2012-07-03, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
GoldDragon
Corporal

Originally Posted by Krawanan View Post
Yeah i understand, but remember, planetside 1 was pretty much a cult game with a really nice and tight community.

Planetside 2 is going to be F2P and will probably have a wider variety of players. which could also contain cod/bf3 players. And tehy sure love to TK if they get bored
Just sayin', but if there are any original PS vets involved in any way, which there will be plenty of, I can almost guarantee they (along with the devs) will be helping police the griefers.

Example: Even in PS1, there are dicks right? Well, if that dummy shoots the wrong guy for the wrong reason he could have anywhere from 2-3 guys up to an entire platoon hunting him down to keep him off their teammate. I'm willing to bet this level of dedication to your unit is going to find it's way into any outfit with original Vets in them.
Old 2012-07-04, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
BillyBob
Corporal

Hey guys,

I think that friendly fire is a great addition to the game, since it makes it alot more real, and you have to be carefull where you shoot.

But i also have a few concerns about this.

How can you see if someone is on your empire in night time? From close it would be pretty easy, but if he's like 200 meters away you see him as an enemy, if FF would be off, you would find out soon enough ofcourse, but it is not.
IMO, nighttime identification just makes the game that much more interesting, intense and challenging.

Not only does it motivate the use of any nightvision optics or common lights, but it also encourages successful friend-or-foe recognition based on silhouette etc.

And my biggest concern:
TROLLS

Aren't there going to be people who like hate an empire and then make a character on that empire just to team kill? Or just trolls who will do this for no reason.

Does anyone share those concerns with me? Or is there already a solution for this? And how did this work out in Planetside 1 ?
We know there will be a (anti) grief-system implemented in PS2. Hopefully it will be competent enough to prevent repeated teamkills and the type of exploits that you mention.

Oh, and regarding Friendly Fire...IMO it's an absolute must in PS2. If it's implemented in any other way, then it should be based on server (i.e. having specific servers with FF set to off).

/BB

Last edited by BillyBob; 2012-07-04 at 03:20 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions