Warning, very unpopular opinion! Why kill-cam desperately needs to return - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where you feel the love
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-08-18, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Rolfski
Major

Re: Warning, very unpopular opinion! Why kill-cam desperately needs to return

Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
Manoeuvrability is an important tactic. But so is digging in. You can't punish one and favor the other or the game becomes unbalanced.
Kill-cam doesn't change the digging in mechanic in any negative way. It only provides info to newer payers on how points are typically defended. As an experienced squad charging in, you already know what to expect. You can actually use this kill-cam mechanic to your advantage, as both attacker and defender, by going a completely unexpected route.
Old 2013-08-18, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Maybe have a kill-cam from level 1-15? After which it disables permanently.
Old 2013-08-18, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
You're over-romanticizing MMO and stealth play. This is not really a traditional MMO with beautiful hidden secrets to explore that kill cam would brutally uncover. It's just a FPS with advanced levelling where kill-cam reveals skill, farming tactics and hiding spots, which is all a good thing.
Revealing skill doesn't mean you can copy it.
Revealing tactics equals the playing field somewhat, which is very badly needed in this game, plus it prevents farming somewhat.
Revealing hiding spots is a good thing as well because this game has literally millions of them, almost impossible to come by for new players if they have to discover these all on their own.
And in case it reveals a Sunderer, guess what? Next time make sure to don't be an idiot and shoot in front of a Sunderer. Btw I think Sunderers should have cloak but that's a whole different discussion.

This whole notice of kill-cam not allowing you to play stealthy and camp I just don't buy. There are a million places to hide and camp from, just move on to the next spot after shooting someone, which is something you should probably be doing in the first place if you want to play it safe, kill-cam or not.

No - he like most people here appreciates why this game isnt COD.

You dont.

You are asking for a competely differnt game - I think the issue is you.

Last edited by Ghoest9; 2013-08-18 at 01:49 PM.
Old 2013-08-18, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Methonius
Master Sergeant

Why do I get the feeling that Rolfski had some friends try the game and they got roflstomped and complained about no killcam.
Old 2013-08-18, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Kill-cam doesn't change the digging in mechanic in any negative way. It only provides info to newer payers on how points are typically defended. As an experienced squad charging in, you already know what to expect. You can actually use this kill-cam mechanic to your advantage, as both attacker and defender, by going a completely unexpected route.
There's a difference between expecting and knowing.
Old 2013-08-18, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Edfishy
Staff Sergeant

I've wondered about just having the spinnable enemy character model (while remaining 'pinned') replay the last 5 seconds of movements that lead to your demise.

So you cannot see *where* he was, but you might be able to see what he was doing. "Oh he was crouched and waiting for me apparently before he came out threw some C4 on me!".
Old 2013-08-18, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Rolfski
Major

TBH, I expected to be completely verbally slaughtered at this point but I've yet to see a decent argument against this highly unpopular point of view.
Old 2013-08-18, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Like earlier posted, I would like the death cam to turn the direction that you were killed from. It doesnt need the up close view, or even see your killer if they are well concealed. A ps2 kill cam should give a little help in which direction you were killed. But not totally give your opponents position away.
Old 2013-08-18, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
PredatorFour
Major

Why o why do we need this ?? you say to help new players against camping ? thats ridiculous in a game the size of this and considering how open it is. Any 'camper' worth their salt would of moved position anyway by the time the 'noob' got back to the same point.
Old 2013-08-18, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Wahooo
Captain

I wasn't there in alpha but I doubt if kill-cam ever got a fair chance in this game then. It's got a COD stigma all over it and of course we all know how cool it is to shite on COD.
OK, how about this, I will shit on Kill Cam NOT because it is cool to shit on COD, BUT because the kill cam is one of the reasons I DO SHIT ON COD. They're bad and dumb down the game that fucking simple.

Whatever little tiny amount of help this could be to newbs who I guess must be incapable of learning how to develop awareness and need this kind of crutch, is FAR surpassed by the massive increase in knowledge that directly equals power that a kill cam gives to an already good player. That same kill cam you think is good for new players is going to get them wrecked by better players.

Hell a huge part of PS1's limited death cam (3rd person panning around your body) was to sacrifice one guy to run into a Gen hold or cap point to relay info on how many and what kind of troops are in there. Who gets more out of that kind of thing? A single new player that just took a WTF rocket to the face or the experienced organized squad?
Old 2013-08-18, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

This becomes even worse because farming is still by far the most game ruining mechanic in the game.
True. But sadly this is not going away until progression is no longer tied to kills. But I doubt they will take the time to redesign the whole cert gain mechanic this "late" into the lifecycle. So farming, sadly, is most likely going to stay.
Old 2013-08-18, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by PredatorFour View Post
Why o why do we need this ?? you say to help new players against camping ? thats ridiculous in a game the size of this and considering how open it is. Any 'camper' worth their salt would of moved position anyway by the time the 'noob' got back to the same point.
So basically you're saying this game is already a doomed farm fest and SOE should declare this game as lost forever?
Old 2013-08-18, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

Farming is a problem that Kill Cam won't solve. It's a terrible mechanic in a game where tactics matter. Your opponent not knowing how or where you are killing them from is a major factor in holding points and capping bases.

Just because KC tells you where and what your opponent is doing won't stop the farming. Most farms are on spawn rooms, the guys in that spawn room know where the enemy is.
Old 2013-08-18, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

So basically you're saying this game is already a doomed farm fest and SOE should declare this game as lost forever?
So basically you're saying that the answer to zergs is a killcam?

You already admitted that a killcam will not change that in zergs.

Perhaps in smaller fights but why should every side be known where they are to the enemy if they find a good spot to get the drop and keep the enemy unaware of numbers in the area? A small squad can appear to be an army. Result of known numbers that appear to be more? Intimidation factor lost and other side storms in no longer afraid of being swarmed. It favors the attackers more then defenders and defending HAS to be done in this game at times.

If you want an idea of how many people there are in a building and want to know the locations then that's what the dart gun is for. Use it. Speaking of which, a killcam would make that less useful so another reason not to add it.

The way you argue your case is "look at who killed you. See their class. Know EXACTLY why you died" but we already get that. The only thing we don't see is the location and you want to be lazy and not make the effort to look for who killed you? Why not have a tank that automatically aims at the enemy while you're at it so you don't have to look around for armor?

Last edited by Taramafor; 2013-08-18 at 06:33 PM.
Old 2013-08-18, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Ertwin
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Edfishy View Post
I've wondered about just having the spinnable enemy character model (while remaining 'pinned') replay the last 5 seconds of movements that lead to your demise.

So you cannot see *where* he was, but you might be able to see what he was doing. "Oh he was crouched and waiting for me apparently before he came out threw some C4 on me!".
That's actually a decent idea that has none of the flaws of a kill cam.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion