[Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Making Comcast Number one on your shit list since 2003
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-12, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Re: [Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR

Want
+1 vote.

Seriously, free look features in a game where there's going to be an epic battle going on in all directions around you at times, it's a no brainer that this would be a good thing.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-12, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
megamold
Second Lieutenant

i never heard of it before i heard about it here.

after some looking at some vids i could see how this would be great to have
but i think it would take me a looooong time to get used to ( since your crosshair will not be center-screen all the time anymore )

and how well does this work when you are a "shifter" at your desk ? since i change my seating position quite often while gaming
Old 2012-03-13, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #108
Algo
Corporal

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
and how well does this work when you are a "shifter" at your desk ? since i change my seating position quite often while gaming
There are keys in the trackir software you can set to lock and reset the view (usually when you go for a run and need a steady sight)
By the way, not counting trackir, can you at least look around when in the vehicles as of now? It could make air combat a lot more interesting.
Old 2012-03-13, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
Bonius
Sergeant

PS2 will not be compatible with TrackIR.

It will however be compatible with Sony's own head-tracking software that will be released in ~2014, along with the little brother of this baby:

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/head-m...display/hmz-t1

Calling it now.
Old 2012-03-13, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Bonius View Post
PS2 will not be compatible with TrackIR.

It will however be compatible with Sony's own head-tracking software that will be released in ~2014, along with the little brother of this baby:

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/head-m...display/hmz-t1

Calling it now.
Calling it now doesn't matter, if it's implemented for their hardware it'll be possible to make any hardware solution use the same mechanic.

Old 2012-03-17, 02:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #111
Algo
Corporal

This is what people mean when they go on about why freelook is awesome.
First person only, the external cam is a replay and not live.

Last edited by Algo; 2012-03-17 at 02:32 AM.
Old 2012-03-20, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

Track IR and Planetside

Hey guys,

So Higby tweeted a while ago about what people think about Track IR.

I personally have Track IR and I love it. To illustrate how awesome it is, here's a vid of me landing an A-10 in DCS A-10.

So what do you guys think? Should TrackIR be in PS2?

I mean for infantry combat it's amazing...just look at the Arma series.

Thoughts?
Old 2012-03-20, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Aaaand, it would greatly benefit both grunt gameplay as well as flying. For tanks I can't really figure out much of a good use for it, but for infantry and flying it makes a big frigging difference.

Pretty please?
The problem is, if it's a big difference, as you claim, you're creating a hardware barrier to entry on the game.

Just like supporting super-wide FOV settings for people with a dozen monitors...

I don't want Planetside to be a game where I feel like I lost because I didn't spend enough money to have as much situational awareness as the next guy.
Old 2012-03-20, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
HoovesMcG
Corporal

Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
The problem is, if it's a big difference, as you claim, you're creating a hardware barrier to entry on the game.

Just like supporting super-wide FOV settings for people with a dozen monitors...

I don't want Planetside to be a game where I feel like I lost because I didn't spend enough money to have as much situational awareness as the next guy.
No you'll lose cause someone bought a gun that fires faster than yours. What then?

Trust me, track ir does not elevate players to a godly state. Or should I say not any more than mouse look. Its just a different way to look around.

From what I have seen they are ignoring this in hopes it will go away. have you seen the footage. there is no cockpit to look around it. This, is an arcade game that the devs havent so far as peaked out there to see what could make it better than any other arcade game out there. (in terms of actual gameplay, not persistant world).

So while I still hope they will see the light. Im pretty sure they wont look up away from their keyboard to see the next big thing.
Old 2012-03-21, 01:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #115
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Yes. Headtracking support for vehicles would be nice. I would that a cockpit view would also be needed to complement this feature.
Old 2012-03-21, 01:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #116
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

I can't believe the amount of negative feedback this issue is receiving. It would be simple to integrate, it would be useful to those who don't use the hardware in that they could still "freelook" with a hotkey, it would be awesome for those who spend the $130 on the hardware.

I fail to see a downside. Other than programming costs; which would clearly be minimal, if any, as most of the code is written already by the manufacturer. The only programming snag would be having to model more of the vehicle interiors (which they will already do when the implement vehicle entering/exiting animations -- allbeit after launch).

I support this idea and would probably buy the hardware if PS2 implemented it.

Last edited by Lokster; 2012-03-21 at 01:42 AM.
Old 2012-03-21, 05:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #117
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
Yes. Headtracking support for vehicles would be nice. I would that a cockpit view would also be needed to complement this feature.
Cockpits are confirmed, what was in GDC was temporary.

Old 2012-03-21, 05:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #118
Shogun
Contributor
General

i wonder when track ir will team up with (for instance) sony to build the first useful tracker, track ir video glasses. glasses with lcs displays and headtracking. like the virtual reality helmets from the 90s that only suffered from the poor display quality of that time. hell today you could make it fullhd and 3d as well.

in the warthog track ir video the guy looks back... this looks nice in the video when we can see how he looks at the rear of the cockpit, but in reality he wouldn´t even see the monitor any more. looks cool in videos, but how much do you really gain from this if the monitor doesnt follow your sight?

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-03-21, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #119
Algo
Corporal

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
in the warthog track ir video the guy looks back... this looks nice in the video when we can see how he looks at the rear of the cockpit, but in reality he wouldn´t even see the monitor any more. looks cool in videos, but how much do you really gain from this if the monitor doesnt follow your sight?
That bit where he looks at the seat is a bit extreme and usually it's not possible because the sims usually have realistic constraints

That said, you can set response turn ratio and curves for all axes in the trackir software, ie a setting that requires less and less head turning the farther back you look, so you dont snap your neck.

Edit: picture!

Last edited by Algo; 2012-03-21 at 05:33 AM.
Old 2012-03-21, 06:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #120
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
i wonder when track ir will team up with (for instance) sony to build the first useful tracker, track ir video glasses. glasses with lcs displays and headtracking. like the virtual reality helmets from the 90s that only suffered from the poor display quality of that time. hell today you could make it fullhd and 3d as well.

The movement of head to your look in game isn't 1:1, you usually put on a 45-30 degree range of motion, and can increase it's range of motion for vehicles. Doesn't really lower the immersion in the game, though I can see where you're coming from, a helmet of sorts for 1:1 motion would be very cool. There's a few videos of the HMZ1 being used in conjunction with track IR to do just this

Though nobody uses 1:1 because it's just not possible with the tech, moving too far left or right would disconnect it's ability to track movement unfortunately.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion