Which MAX? - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I wonder if this will fit... Uh... *Yanks hard* DAMN! It's stuck...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Which MAX
TR AI MAX, cant beat dual miniguns 56 37.33%
VS AI MAX, rapid fire beams all the way 34 22.67%
NC AI MAX, Who needs speed when u got shotguns? 52 34.67%
Other MAX, such as AA, AV? 8 5.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-03-29, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
glsauron
Sergeant

Thats a good point. We dont know what ones had been fighting before or the circumstances surrounding those shots.

And the shield doesn't suck stamina. It sucks a "seperate energy reserve" that recharges at approx 1/2 the rate it's depleted. Think T2 shield pack.

And NC MAX has to be fought well to win. Very your shots (shield on/off), make sure your in short range guage...etc.

TR you just decide when the ROF is worth the mobility loss.

VS you just shoot and jump occassionally.

trying to decide VS or NC now. VS looks good (all armors) NC you have a big shotgun...Can I get the shotgun from NC placed into the arm of a VS AI MAX (replace the default wep)?
Old 2003-03-30, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Moloch
Master Sergeant

nope, the maxes are the only things unique to an empire that can't be pillaged.
Old 2003-03-31, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
glsauron
Sergeant

*evil grin*
NC ed with a lasher and lots of energy cells...along with a jackhammer...
Old 2003-03-31, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
mr_luc
Sergeant Major

I have to go with the Vanu MAX all the way here.

I don't compare Planetside to Tribes, but a relatively fair approximation might be made using one of the more popular mods as an analogy. You have the super-heavy armor with lessened jumpjet ability (not the heaviest armor, that thing could barely fly at all), but with EXTREMELY powerful and high rate-of-fire weapons. Now, granted, this is NOT a good example because even in the Tribes mods they never took away the jumpjet ability for all armors. But it's not bad.

The uber-heavy armors with the massive, superfast guns would chew right through newbies, just demolish them. But smarter players would use obstacles to their advantage, and because of their mobility, they could choose to initiate every single shot -- leaving the less mobile armor to try and take opportunities created by the more mobile armor.

The VS MAX seems to me to be the number one choice. The other's don't even come close. Even if the VS MAX had 1/2 the firepower of either of the other AI MAX's, and half the armor, I still might take it, just because the mobility of those jumpjets is going to be SO important in base combat.
Old 2003-03-31, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

I agree.
Old 2003-03-31, 11:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
Silencer22
Private

Simply NC, OR Vanu because they look the coolest...
Old 2003-03-31, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
NeoDrgnMech
Sergeant

Black Mage Says: VS all the way!

The Vanu Alliance. WE HAVE POINTY STICKS!
Old 2003-04-01, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #83
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

Originally posted by mr_luc
I have to go with the Vanu MAX all the way here.

I don't compare Planetside to Tribes, but a relatively fair approximation might be made using one of the more popular mods as an analogy. You have the super-heavy armor with lessened jumpjet ability (not the heaviest armor, that thing could barely fly at all), but with EXTREMELY powerful and high rate-of-fire weapons. Now, granted, this is NOT a good example because even in the Tribes mods they never took away the jumpjet ability for all armors. But it's not bad.

The uber-heavy armors with the massive, superfast guns would chew right through newbies, just demolish them. But smarter players would use obstacles to their advantage, and because of their mobility, they could choose to initiate every single shot -- leaving the less mobile armor to try and take opportunities created by the more mobile armor.

The VS MAX seems to me to be the number one choice. The other's don't even come close. Even if the VS MAX had 1/2 the firepower of either of the other AI MAX's, and half the armor, I still might take it, just because the mobility of those jumpjets is going to be SO important in base combat.
Unfortunately the jump jet doesn't buy the VS max anything once he is inside a base. The base is cramped, and the TR clamp down makes it a defensive juggernaut.
Old 2003-04-01, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Ruthless
Sergeant

outdoors = vanu max specialty
long narrow hallways/corridors = tr max specialty
close range/immobile targets = nc max specialty
Old 2003-04-01, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
EarlyDawn
Major General

Good luck forcing your way down a cordoor with a clamped MAX at the end.
Old 2003-04-01, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
ShadowViper
Private

I believe that the NC max is gonna be the best inside bases. Even if theres a tr max calmped down on the other end, the nc could just use the shield.
Old 2003-04-01, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Doubt the shield would last long vs a clamped down TR AV MAX....
Old 2003-04-01, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Tolvy
Sergeant Major

Time for my $.02
I'm not going to put down the Vanu and NC MAX's just because i'm TR. I'll look at this topic from a neutral stance.

The Vanu MAX would be the best if the person was good with the jump jets. The AI MAX can lock on, but at the cost of twice the energy, so if you fight short term, go rest up and come back, this will be very effective.

The NC MAX has the biggest advantage. It doesn't require skill to use the sheild like you do with the jump jets. You can freely shoot without taking damage for a short amount of time. Good for a few quick kills without getting hurt.

The TR is probably the weakest of the three. When you anchor, you lose the ability to turn so all infantry would have to do would be to go outside the 60 degree turning radius and they couldn't be hit.

There you have it.
Old 2003-04-01, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
MiniOrca
Staff Sergeant

well im not going to compare to tribes either but i was flying around with my jetpack one day and saw a juggernaugt armor (i was in scout) his aiming SUCKED. And i happened to be good at aiming. I take out a spinfusor(high dmg, slow refire rate, explosive disc shooter) jumped all over the place and pounded the ground near him. I was hardely touching him. Then he takes out dual chainguns and shoots all over the place hitting me rarely but eventually i died, so thats what got me into the idea of haing a MAX in the first place. Anyway i know it wont be like that in PS but i do have the feeling in a MAX you will be able to take out multiple troops at a time., thatll be sweet, but i will have to agree with the previous post. I think Vanu will suck inside and be good outside against most. NC will be good at close quaters, inside and outside. TR will be awesome inside and ok outside, i say this because in a previous post someone stated that it takes a very short time to unanchor. If anyone comes close enough to the TR MAX the guy (hope fully) will not b stupid enough to stay anchored and let the guy run behind him. He will unanchor and start moving around. Some people fail to realize that the tR MAX wont be useless un-anchored
Old 2003-04-01, 03:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
mr_luc
Sergeant Major

I agree, totally.

My hunch is that NC and TR MAX armors will be almost exactly equivalent in one-on-one combat. I'll bet that if an NC MAX stood 20 meters from a TR MAX, both AI, and the TR MAX locked down and the NC MAX activated his shield, they would probably kill each other almost exactly as fast.

In a tunnel situation, that's really what you've got. The TR MAX can blanket a tunnel with fire -- but if someone can manage to shoot that MAX and get away with it (like bouncing projectiles around corners, or popping off shots while ducking around the corner) the TR MAX won't last nearly as long as the NC MAX. Which is definitely a fair trade-off. I think that both TR and NC MAX armors are going to be EXTREMELY useful for controlling narrow, confined spaces.

However.

To me, all that means is that it will be a bit harder to flush you guys out. The way I look at it, even in the larger, more extensive underground bases, if we're knocking on your door enough that you need that kind of tunnel defense, we've probably already won. Now, that's not to say it won't balance out -- but I really think that the Vanu MAX will better in the combat around the bases. The odds are slightly against them overall if there are no obstacles around, I would say -- but give us something to work with, and we have the tool (jets) to shape it to our terms.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion