Things I will miss in PS2 from PS1 - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Supporting IRC addiction.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-14, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Things I will miss in PS2 from PS1

Originally Posted by kadrin View Post

I have to agree with what MrBloodworth said, what you've described is not Planetside, it's far too fast, it's just zerging around boomboomheadshotdierespawnboomboom. Which is something I can get from every other shooter, and why I don't want it in Planetside.
I most certainly did not describe that. Being able to move quickly but at the same time having HUGE maps to offset that movement has NOTHING to do with whatever you are talking about. I should know, I am subjected to that gameplay in BF3 and I am against it.

Player movement speed and smoothness of animations is NOT the only aspect of game pace. Not even close.

Some PS1 vets are against "iron sights", though I think you mean "aiming down sight", for the EXACT same reason, they claim it will slow gameplay. Your objection could be used against arguments against "iron sights" in just the same way, in other words, if you don't want ADSing to slow down the gameplay that's the same as wanting gameplay to speed up. Except it's not, because being able to move while firing is a miniscule part of the game pace.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-03-14 at 11:19 AM.
Old 2012-03-24, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Tialian
Corporal

The huge issue with instantly getting in and out of vehicles is how cheated it makes a player feel when they are attacking the guy who has been farming kills like crazy.

One issue in BF3 that I have noticed a lot is how useless a stinger seems. Jets and helos have counter-measures that recycle too quickly and they are also able to use the terrain to avoid getting hit by missiles. When they do get close to death they simply instantly bail.

In PlanetSide it was great when they made it so people couldn't bail after their vehicle took too much damage, if the devs make PS2 vehicles like BF3 I'm afraid they just don't understand their players. Personally I would rather wait for them to release the game until they have things right, rather than patch it in later. If it took 6 months just for vehicle animations it would be well worth it.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-24, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The things I will miss are being able to hack as a Rexo or Light assault style class. I liked being useful support without being an infiltrator.

I think I'll miss the AMS as well, I liked the stealth spawn points and that hide-and-seek aspect of the game. Mainly because if you could see a spawn point it became very easy to shoot it with infantry AV or tanks. The stealth field gave it survivability to be effective. I'm not sure the galaxy can do that, but it would be easy enough for them to add a utility slot for cloak-when-deployed so it might not be that big of a deal.
Old 2012-03-24, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Ruwyn
Corporal

Going to miss the AMS. It simply made the game. It was the MOST important and MOST used spawn choice in the game. Even if you make a galaxy able to cloak, you aren't going to land that galaxy in the middle of a forest that surrounds a tower. Or set it down on the side of a hill. Or ....... etc.

Enter/exit animations....Very annoyed when I played shooters after PS that allowed you to teleport in/out/within vehicles.

Laying down the CE! Come on, no spitfires? Can I still have my minefields? Or do I need to hit up the term 10 times in order to put a decent one in place? Motion sensors? They were underrated. <--- your spotting tool right there.

No manageable inventory or pack looting. Why can't I take minimal rifle ammo and load up on the AV rounds? Out of ammo.....used to just loot a corpse on the ground or run over to a local AMS. Now what? Guess you just run up to someone and let them kill you or boomer yourself since you can only carry ONE grenade! One...1.. Stealth clear a minefield ahead of advancing armor with one emp grenade. Thanks guys.
Old 2012-03-24, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Tialian View Post
The huge issue with instantly getting in and out of vehicles is how cheated it makes a player feel when they are attacking the guy who has been farming kills like crazy.

One issue in BF3 that I have noticed a lot is how useless a stinger seems. Jets and helos have counter-measures that recycle too quickly and they are also able to use the terrain to avoid getting hit by missiles. When they do get close to death they simply instantly bail.
This is why having Flak in the game is VERY important.

Flak is harder to aim and use, as you have to lead your target and predict it's movements, but it's advantage over guided weapons is that there's no warning and once you fire, it's going to it's destination no matter what.

In BF1942, Anti-Air emplacements were Flak. They were powerful, but well balanced. It meant that aircraft were powerful, but they always had to be careful. Well balanced.

In BF2, Anti-Air emplacements were guided missiles. They were completely ****ing useless to the point of being jokes. It meant that aircraft were powerful, and rarely ever had to be careful. Balance was a joke.

There needs to be both in game. Just like in PS1. I can only hope they don't make BF's mistake by making everything guided.

Last edited by Shade Millith; 2012-03-24 at 10:55 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion