Question I REALLY want answered. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where the Men are Men, and the Pulsars need Ammo
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-11, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

Question I REALLY want answered.

You're never stuck, capped or locked in to anything with the PS2 cert system. Recerting isn't necessary because there's no restrictions on how many certs you can have trained at a time, just how many you can take advantage of on any given loadout.

I was under the impression you would still have something like 20-24 Certs to spend between classes. But if I am reading this right that means at any given time you might be a BR 20 Engie / Medic /Light assault / Heavy assault all at the change of a terminal. This seems to go WAAAAAY against any sense of specialization as its all at the drop of a hat if I am correct in this I think THIS will be the most damaging to any sense of specialization in planetside.

Is it just me or does this explanation of classes make less sense than the initial class descriptions?
Old 2011-07-11, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zulthus
Colonel

Re: Question I REALLY want answered.

Honestly, it seems like he's implying you can be everything, just not all at once. And if that's true, PlanetSide won't be the same.

Last edited by Zulthus; 2011-07-11 at 12:36 AM.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
SKYeXile
Major General

yea sounds like its done, shut it down!
Old 2011-07-11, 12:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
yea sounds like its done, shut it down!
Maybe not the game itself, but you know, specialization and all that
Old 2011-07-11, 12:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
tjmonk15
Corporal

Umm... This was one of the beauties of PlanetSide. You could be anything, just not all at once. Now they are just changing how easy it is to switch, how is this bad?

They are taking something that was great in PS1 and making it easier/better in PS2.

If you think something is bad, explain why. Just saying "PlanetSide is done" and nothing else, implies you are either a 12 yr old who thinks he knows everything, a random doom sayer, or someone who just doesn't like change.

None of the above imply any intelligence, quite the opposite in fact.

-Monk
Old 2011-07-11, 12:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by tjmonk15 View Post
Umm... This was one of the beauties of PlanetSide. You could be anything, just not all at once. Now they are just changing how easy it is to switch, how is this bad?

They are taking something that was great in PS1 and making it easier/better in PS2.

If you think something is bad, explain why. Just saying "PlanetSide is done" and nothing else, implies you are either a 12 yr old who thinks he knows everything, a random doom sayer, or someone who just doesn't like change.

None of the above imply any intelligence, quite the opposite in fact.

-Monk
Planetside didn't hand you everything all at once, which it * SEEMS LIKE THIS GAME IS DOING * All I'm saying is that if you can indeed cert everything at once in this game, which was nothing like PlanetSide 1, what's the point of specialization if all you do is die and switch to the exact kit you need for every situation? The "beauty of PlanetSide" was people having their specific roles; not everyone changing to exactly what they need when they need it. Calling me a "12 yr old who thinks he knows everything" doesn't imply any intelligence on your part either. Quite the opposite, in fact. I'm stating my opinion on what PlanetSide truly is, so there is no need for you to flame me for it. Kthxbye

Last edited by Zulthus; 2011-07-11 at 12:40 AM.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
SKYeXile
Major General

^^^

Yea, PS1, you made your character to play a certain way or to play afew different ways.you could not do everything at once, you could not also switch to anything you like at anytime, you had to wait for your cert timer. It made people think well in advance, what cert does my squad or outfit need to run more effectivly?
Old 2011-07-11, 12:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sifer2
Major

Well its like I said in the other thread. It's an attempt to add more long term progression most likely. Since training these skills takes real life hours like in Eve. An I have no doubt that at least at launch they will probably aim to make it take months or even a year or more to get everything.

But yeah once we have 2 year vets running about that can switch to any fully trained class we will kind of be back to where we are in Planetside now. But is it that bad? I mean after all they can only do one role at a time.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
Well its like I said in the other thread. It's an attempt to add more long term progression most likely. Since training these skills takes real life hours like in Eve. An I have no doubt that at least at launch they will probably aim to make it take months or even a year or more to get everything.

But yeah once we have 2 year vets running about that can switch to any fully trained class we will kind of be back to where we are in Planetside now. But is it that bad? I mean after all they can only do one role at a time.
Yes, it is that bad. PlanetSide is unique to the point where players choose their role, should know their role, and excel at it, but it seems this game is giving you everything and letting you use it whenever you feel like it. That, to me, feels like Call of Duty. And I don't like Call of Duty.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Bags
Lieutenant General

People had multiple characters specced multiple ways. This just removes the need to do that. Going to need to see exactly how this works before I pass judgment.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
People had multiple characters specced multiple ways. This just removes the need to do that. Going to need to see exactly how this works before I pass judgment.
That's a much better method than the one implied. We don't need people that do everything - at least make another toon and specialize it in another direction if you so feel like doing something else.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

The purpose of certifications was to make your character choose a role. This also emphasized teamwork because you'd have someone be a hacker, someone be the medic, someone be the MAX etc.

Since you can now "seamlessly" change classes and apparently cert whatever you want this time around it really diminishes the need for teamwork.

I really hope there is more clarification in the future or they're trolling us.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Bags
Lieutenant General

You guys do realize you need an equipment terminal to change role, right? Someone isn't going to go behind a tree with MA and pop out with a thumper.
Old 2011-07-11, 01:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
You guys do realize you need an equipment terminal to change role, right? Someone isn't going to go behind a tree with MA and pop out with a thumper.
That doesn't change the fact that you can seamlessly switch to whatever you want. That's not PlanetSide, that's COD. The point is that nobody will have a role anymore - you can do whatever you want. It doesn't matter that you have to die first.
Old 2011-07-11, 01:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

Yes I could understand the need for classes to keep silly stuff from being done aka Agile pilot med/engy/deci air drops and the like. And even so the need to make classes so the classes themselves can have very interesting play styles attached to them. However, the ability to simultaneously have a fully developed skill tree in every class at the same time is folly. It completely removes the point of specialization in a class if you can just specialize in another class any given time at any given terminal.

I will refrain from panicking yet or fear mongering, but I deeply want to have this question answered further by some of the developers since they have been very kind as of late in answering fan questions. Classes were an understandable addition, however the LACK of specialization into classes for at least short periods is not understandable.

How would I go about getting this clarified?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion