Do you like BR40? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Barely legal.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: BR40 in PS1 and PS2
I like BR40 and would like to see the equivalent in PS2 7 13.21%
I like BR40 and would not like to see the equivalent in PS2 6 11.32%
I dislike BR40 and would like to see the equivalent in PS2 0 0%
I dislike BR40 and would not like to see the equivalent in PS2 40 75.47%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-01, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Bags
Lieutenant General

Do you like BR40?

Since most people arguing with me seem to be under the impression that myself and anyone who shares my views are in love with BR40, I'd like to see how true this actually is (for the record I don't like BR40). So I ask you, do you like BR40 (infinite certs) and do would you be interested in an equivalent form of it existing in PS2?

Last edited by Bags; 2011-09-02 at 01:31 AM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-02, 12:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Do you like BR40?

By BR40, are you referring to having all certs or having 40 battle ranks?
Old 2011-09-02, 01:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bags
Lieutenant General

Having all certs. Sorry, I thought that was fairly obvious.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-09-02 at 01:37 AM.
Old 2011-09-02, 04:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kalbuth
First Sergeant

How can you like something which destroys the whole point of having BR and customized, role-defined character?
Old 2011-09-02, 04:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Aractain
Major

The equivelent of BR40 in PS2 would be having 5 different classes stacked upon each other.

Srcew BR40 I had everything i really needed before BR10. Med, Eng, Guns and AV. Now I can do everything important. So to solve that problem its either give you nothing or draw hard lines between the core groups.
Old 2011-09-02, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
wildcat140679
Sergeant

Somewhere along the path of advancing and having your avatar become better, I start loosing interest on using them. Its not just with planetside, but also with other games. There is a turning point some where, where my avatars advances to such a skill level and unlocks abilities or powers that the game play shifts from being a challenging, to longer being challenge for me.

For me with planetside this was somewhere around the time I got my second implant and I've created several avatars simple to relive that challenge again, the handicaps of being limited by your abilities. I had a maxed out battle rank of 20 and when the battle rank caps got extended higher, I never felt the urge to play and pushed them to a higher rank.

I might be a rare breed or have an odd way of thinking, who gets his kicks from the lower Battle Ranks instead feeling the need to max out everything.
Old 2011-09-02, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
The equivelent of BR40 in PS2 would be having 5 different classes stacked upon each other.
This is how it should be. No, you shouldn't be able to cert everything like you could with BR40 in PS1. I don't think PS2 will be like that anyways because they are doing more defined roles and load-outs this time around.

Last edited by Crator; 2011-09-02 at 08:59 AM.
Old 2011-09-02, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

I like the idea of more intense role based training personally. I don't like the idea of being able to have everything in the game or be the best at everything in the game. Keep in mind certing will be different, so it won't be as simple as dumping 3 points into this or 2 points into that. If you want to get the best stuff and be the best at it, it sounds like you are going to need to focus your training.

I'm sure as time goes on people will have the time to train some sub-specialties but I also hope that as time goes on they open up higher and higher training levels that give you cool new abilities.
Old 2011-09-02, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

I like BR40 because I have it. I'm going to miss being able to do whatever I want in PS2. That being said, I think BR40 was a stupid idea and should not be in PS1 or PS2.
Old 2011-09-02, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
CutterJohn
Colonel

I see nothing wrong with players having access to all tools and abilities. I think PS1 was inadequately balanced with this in mind by making infantry inventories too large(or tools/ammo too small, either way). Oh, and CE proliferation since it would stay up regardless of what you were doing.

The vehicle game was certainly never hurt by too much access.
Old 2011-09-02, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

I just like the idea of more focus'd game play. Of course on a basic level people should be able to do some other things, but I think the game should reward people who focus into an area more than people who spread their points all over the place to be jacks of all trades. If somebody wants to really devote to being a top notch engy or medic or pilot or whatever, they should be able to access things other people just won't ever get access to. That should be their reward for their commitment to their craft.
Old 2011-09-02, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Stupid ideas are stupid.

It was a ploy to get people to stay subbed longer to suck more $$ out of the player base.

It most definitely will not be in the sequel.
Old 2011-09-02, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Quovatis View Post
I like BR40 because I have it. I'm going to miss being able to do whatever I want in PS2. That being said, I think BR40 was a stupid idea and should not be in PS1 or PS2.
And heres the thing: You will still be able to do everything, just not at the same time. You wont be able to be a sniper medic engi HA rexo guy, just one of those at any given time, but you could just die and switch.
Old 2011-09-02, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

BR40 was bad.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-09-02, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Based on the information we have gotten so far PS2 sorta has BR40. While you wont be able to carry everything at once, you have access to everything. Stay close to an equipment term and you can just switch your role instantly. Its been said that the early stages of each cert tree will be short training timers, so if you just do the basics of them all and don't specialize you wont get all the flashy benefits (which Higby said are more sidegrades than improvements) but you can do it all.

You can lay some mines until some enemy air shows up and then switch to you AA Max. When they bail out, switch to a grunt class or AI Max. Zerg shows up, grab your SA class with a thumper and spam your way to victory (or grief lock). Its already been shown that the 20% increase you get from maxing out something isn't really that much of an improvement. So with what we know so far, it seems to me making your self a jack of all trades is the best way to go. Then once you have everything baseline, you can start focusing on maxing for your preferred role.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion