Systems: Incognito mode - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nerf the Thunderer!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.20 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-09-04, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
CutterJohn
Colonel

Incognito mode

Some days you just don't want to deal with anyone. But alts are annoying for this, since its not your character.

So, Incognito mode! Log in, tick the incognito checkbox, and your character enters the game. All stats/certs/etc are the same, but the name is different, and you are, in this form, not a member of any outfit. You also don't appear on friends lists or anything of the sort.

Last edited by Hamma; 2011-09-13 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Added category
Old 2011-09-05, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: Incognito mode

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Some days you just don't want to deal with anyone. But alts are annoying for this, since its not your character.

So, Incognito mode! Log in, tick the incognito checkbox, and your character enters the game. All stats/certs/etc are the same, but the name is different, and you are, in this form, not a member of any outfit. You also don't appear on friends lists or anything of the sort.
I think alts on the same empire can solve it better.
Your idea leaves a serious opening for griefing.

Let's just say 3 characters per server. All on the same empire.

Last edited by NewSith; 2011-09-05 at 03:25 AM.
Old 2011-09-05, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
CutterJohn
Colonel

Your main doesn't progress while you play your alt.

And how can it be used for griefing? Or rather, how could it be used for griefing in a fashion different than alts?

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-09-05 at 08:58 AM.
Old 2011-09-05, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

And how can it be used for griefing? Or rather, how could it be used for griefing in a fashion different than alts?
Well with alts you would at least be forced to choose between "dirtying your name" or having acces to all the stuff you unlocked.
Although I have doubts how effective a deterrent this would be, it's not like one needs upgrades to be an annoying bastard...

But I guess it would discourage it the way you mentioned - your main won't be advancing while you play on your alt. For whatever reasons you might do so
Old 2011-09-05, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

This exactly:

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
Well with alts you would at least be forced to choose between "dirtying your name" or having acces to all the stuff you unlocked.
Although I have doubts how effective a deterrent this would be, it's not like one needs upgrades to be an annoying bastard...

But I guess it would discourage it the way you mentioned - your main won't be advancing while you play on your alt. For whatever reasons you might do so
But, well, I'm not opposing the idea. I was just announcing the flaw I saw in your suggestion. No more, no less.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-05, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

This is bad due to lack of social accountability.

Grief system is good and all, but lets not give a way for people to be dicks and hide to skirt social accountability.

If being anonymous is that important to you, run a second account/character.
Old 2011-09-05, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I think all we need to solve the problem is turning on something that keeps your status as "Offline" to outfit mates and friends. Sure if they see you in game you're busted, but they should get the point.
Old 2011-09-12, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Tribes 2 had "smurf" names. You could change your name from the official account name, but your name appeared in blue instead of the usual color (white?).

So long as grief points are account wide (and it sounds like they will be), and you can (with some effort) find out who a given smurf is, I really don't see the problem with it.
Old 2011-09-16, 04:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Tikuto
Major

While this is a reasonable suggest and I can agree with, I have to deny. I deny because this is also a social game, an MMO and severing communication amongst hundreds by own choice could devastate somehow.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault