Higby on XP Changes - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Vanu are so cute, until they end up on the hood of my buggy....grrr...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-31, 05:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: Higby on XP Changes

I don't mean to be rude, but he is saying spawn camping is the best way to get certs. He should reword that.

Old 2013-01-31, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Qwan
Captain

Well I have what I beleive is are two salutions that may help the problem, Say a base is being over run, we can:
1. Take away the spawn box and expose the spawn tubes, and alllow for them to be destroyed. This way the enemy can't spawn there. As in PS1..... I mean BF3 .

2. Keep the spawn boxes and have small SCU for each outpost and when it goes down, the enemy can no longer spawn there.

Adding new exits, In my opinion will not help the situation any, If a base is getting zerged I believe all exits coming out of that spawn box will be covered, sides, top, corners, and even bottom.

I myself dont blame it all on the spawn campers, there just doing there job, taking the base from the enemy, I mean what are they suppose to do just let them come out of the spawn box and count to 5 Mississippi. Its a choke point gentlemen this is a combat similation game, you are suppose to take advantage of this situation and I believe they are not wrong for doing it.

Should the blame go on the defending force ?, they know the base is surrounded by an overwhelming force but yet they still spawn at that base knowing the spawn point is covered by air, ground, and shit I think I even took a torpedo round once coming out of a spawn box. I mean the base is over run by enemy you keep spawning there and running out the door and getting killed, then you log on to the forums and cry about spawn camping, really, seriously guys.

Her are some options:

1. Spawn at a new base and try a counter attack. (Trying to counter attacks from a camped spawn room, your doing it wrong

2. Stay in the spawn room, keep the enemy attention directed at you and call in reinforcements (Stepping out of the spawn room during this period can be very bad).

I dont know if there is a solution for what to me is not a problem, but this is a start I guess.
Old 2013-01-31, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Rothnang
Major

Spawn camping will always be a tool to stop defenders from getting back into the base, but since they nixes the whole SCU revamp it won't be as big of a problem anyways, when the SCU goes down the base is lost.
Old 2013-01-31, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Rothnang View Post
Spawn camping will always be a tool to stop defenders from getting back into the base, but since they nixes the whole SCU revamp it won't be as big of a problem anyways, when the SCU goes down the base is lost.
I thought the changes they were making were that the SCu going down merely "slows" Player spawn dramatically, but doesnt remove it entirely.

What you are describing above already exists in the game now.
Old 2013-01-31, 06:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Qwan
Captain

I think the phrase spawn camping should not be used when your talking about a base type enviroment. Think about it for a second, you just spent two hrs trying to take a outpost (which do not have a SCU), the enemy can spawn there as much as he wants. So you finally get the upper hand and take the points, now you have to hold it. Covering those door ways is key to taking the base.

Covering the spawn points (since there is no SCU) is a must this should not be considered camping, I mean I for one dont like to spawn camp myself, but if your waiting for that base to flip, and the enemy is going to keep spawning there, it has to be covered with a tank, air, or troops. They can lower the damage on my tank, me as the commander will just add an extra tank to cover each door.

So should we really call it spawn camping, or holding down the fort. Granted my personal definition for spawn camping is when an individual is covering a AMS (say a sniper), he has a one shot rifle, now instead of calling in that AMS to get it taken out, he just sits there waiting for guys to spawn at the AMS, and pops them from a distance. This is my definition of spawn camping, not covering a doorway waiting for a base to flip.

Last edited by Qwan; 2013-01-31 at 06:51 AM.
Old 2013-01-31, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Mietz
First Sergeant

It could be argued that spawn camping is a valid tactic to suppress enemy activity.

@Qwan

If I was that sniper, that would be exactly what I'd do.
I have no access to AV weaponry as Infiltrator (no C4, thx SOE) so the only thing I can do is kill the spawning infantry until someone destroys the AMS.
My contribution is to thin the lemming horde and give my team an opening to destroy the AMS.

OT:

Reducing average XP gains to stop spawn camping will not work.
Furthermore, XP gain is already painfully slow, so reducing it even more will make the game a pain to play for most.

How about stop treating symptoms and start curing the disease?

Last edited by Mietz; 2013-01-31 at 06:57 AM.
Old 2013-01-31, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
XP Changes
Great news. Only downside is it means there will be more VS sitting on the hill by crossroads shooting at vehicles that are being repaired by 50 people at the Crown
Old 2013-01-31, 07:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but he is saying spawn camping is the best way to get certs. He should reword that.
Yeah, that is what I thought too. I think he means "IF you get all your XP from spawn camping, then you'll be getting slower cert gain."
Old 2013-01-31, 07:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
ringring
Contributor
General

The complaints about spawn camping was that it was too easy and often done by vehicles at zero risk.

That spawn camping happens is not a problem, it's a valid tactic.
Old 2013-01-31, 07:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Kerrec
Master Sergeant

I don't think spawn camping will or should stop. As people have said, it is a tactic to keep defenders behind a choke point.

The difference in my mind, is there won't be a huge crowd of players standing all around and on the spawn building, while the point is [0/6] and slowly ticking away.

You won't get people that will come into an enemy base, park beside a spawn building and wait for someone else to clear the rest of the buildings or flip the objective.

In my mind, the changes will force the issue. Get people to man the objectives [6/6] so the base flips faster, because farming kills at the spawn rooms will not be rewarding. I see nothing wrong with this and it can't possibly HURT the game. Are people going to start complaining that it'll become too easy to DEFEND a base (if that's the case)?
Old 2013-01-31, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

I still believe it's possible to take spawncamping as a integral "tactical" part out of the game with some creative thinking.
I mean i don't recall it being such a major game mechanic in ps1 (it was mostly just a short "cleaning burst" if i recall right), so i have a hard time accepting it as the most integral part of capturing a base here. Just seems a bit lazy and/or not fully thought through.
Old 2013-01-31, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Rockit
Banned

Originally Posted by Kerrec View Post
In my mind, the changes will force the issue. Get people to man the objectives [6/6] so the base flips faster, because farming kills at the spawn rooms will not be rewarding. I see nothing wrong with this and it can't possibly HURT the game. Are people going to start complaining that it'll become too easy to DEFEND a base (if that's the case)?
Yeah I agree this would be the intent. Instead of people deliberately not capping points to farm spawns they would be more compelled to just get it over with and move on.
Old 2013-01-31, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Rothnang
Major

Originally Posted by Thunderhawk View Post
I thought the changes they were making were that the SCu going down merely "slows" Player spawn dramatically, but doesnt remove it entirely.
That thing got a lot of downvotes on the Roadmap so apparently they took it out of the patch.
Old 2013-01-31, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Honesty spawn camping is an inevitable thing, at least it won't be as profitable.
It's not, really. To a point yes. But Spawn camping in its current form is 100% about the base designs. I am mainly speaking of outposts.

In PS1, if the spawns were being camped, and they were, the fight was already over, due to the location of the spawn rooms. Thankfully the tubes took damage. An act of mercy for the zerglings. In just about every other FPS in the world, the spawn is the last reachable place in the map, in terms of progression from one side to another.

In PS2, its ( Camp the spawn ) the first thing that happens, and that's due to the outposts designs.

Originally Posted by Rothnang View Post
That thing got a lot of downvotes on the Roadmap so apparently they took it out of the patch.
Good, because quite frankly it was a stupid idea, that was just a side step from addressing the real issue. Outpost layouts.

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
I still believe it's possible to take spawncamping as a integral "tactical" part out of the game with some creative thinking.
I mean i don't recall it being such a major game mechanic in ps1 (it was mostly just a short "cleaning burst" if i recall right), so i have a hard time accepting it as the most integral part of capturing a base here. Just seems a bit lazy and/or not fully thought through.
+1 to this man.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-01-31 at 09:54 AM.
Old 2013-01-31, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Spawn Camping in PS2 ussually means the team that keeps spawning and running into bullets, Liberators, or tank shells at the door has already lost the facility or the ability to retake the facility from the spawn room. So news flash...time to move to a different strategy. It's really that simple...no matter what argument anyone wants to make against it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion