Planetside 2: High Graphics or High Frames per Second? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because Purple Owns You
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-09, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Remzsz
Private

Re: Planetside 2: High Graphics or High Frames per Second?

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I think turning shit off to gain the best advantage possible is probably one of the stupidest things that exist in online gaming. I have settings as high as possible I like my games to look good the way they were intended and it bugs me people turn off everything to gain advantages.
How is having the smoothest and clearest experience the most stupid thing to do? Thats why options are amazing you can enjoy super shiny things, while ill enjoy smooth and simple graphics.
Old 2012-08-09, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Boone
Sergeant

I really doubt 30fps is going to give someone an advantage over another but what do I know.
You should look into it. I'm so frantic when playing anyway I never noticed all the extra bells/whistles.
Old 2012-08-10, 02:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SFJake View Post
The whole "you can't notice more than 30 FPS" is absurd, testing and proven everywhere. 60 FPS is more obvious. Just google it or something.
There are a wide number of posts, articles and related studies that debunk the concept. For those not willing to google it, here's a place to start:

http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/in...an_eye_can_see

OP, you may want to edit your post.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2012-08-10, 03:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Salad Snake
Staff Sergeant

Personally, I agree with others here that even though I want my game to run at 60, I would like it to still look nice. I don't mind sacrificing a little framerate, but I try not to dip below 40 in a fight. However, to me a game is not just a competition to win, but also a world to experience, and thus I need it to look nice too. Crap graphics breaks immersion, for those like me who find that concept important.
Old 2012-08-10, 03:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Hunterzen
Corporal

I think turning shit off to gain the best advantage possible is probably one of the stupidest things that exist in online gaming. I have settings as high as possible I like my games to look good the way they were intended and it bugs me people turn off everything to gain advantages.
I agree I want my game to look the best it can as long as I'm not under 25-30 FPS. I play video games for immersion, not to try and show how "leet" I am unless I'm playing Jedi Knight series online.
Old 2012-08-10, 04:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Jonny
Master Sergeant

I agree things that affect gameplay shouldn't be turn -offable. If someone puts their game at lowest settings, grass and leaves should go minecraft style, but not dissappear.
Old 2012-08-10, 04:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I agree wholeheartedly with the flora being required. PS1 would have been a bit of a different place if you could hide mines in bushes but everyone had their ground clutter off.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2012-08-10, 04:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Kipper
Captain

I want my games to look as nice as possible without sacrificing smoothness. So I'll try to aim for a minimum of 30fps, maybe a bit more if I'm likely to need some in reserve for when there's a particularly large battle or lots of explosions to render.

I also disagree with setting everything to minimum. Everything should be as high as your hardware allows.

If you're actually playing in a competition that's worth something to you, then maybe fair enough - although I would have thought that any "real" competition would have everyone on the same hardware at the same settings, otherwise its not an even playing field.

And yeah... Any game that gives people an advantage by turning off their settings is dumb, if you can hide in bushes, then bushes should not be something people can turn off.

I play for fun first, and to win second.

Last edited by Kipper; 2012-08-10 at 04:53 AM.
Old 2012-08-10, 04:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Firearms
Sergeant

I want it to look as whizy as possible without me suffering graphics lag. As I'm poor, I start at high settings and begin switching things off until it's playable

PS2 is currently averaging 39FPS for everyone in beta....
Old 2012-08-10, 04:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
fod
Master Sergeant

i play on low settings (except textures on high so stuff still looks crisp) on just about every game even with a kickass PC

i dont care about how pretty a game is only performance so i will be running on low everything in PS2

i7 3820@5ghz
16gb 2000mhz ram
6970@1ghz

as you can see its not like i have a bad PC i just prefer performance than looks

edit: i just noticed people dont like others playing on low because of an advantage they may have graphics wise, this is not the case with me - i want more FPS (hopefully 60 minimum - ave 80-100) not an advantage so i agree some things like bushes should be rendered the same for everyone

Last edited by fod; 2012-08-10 at 04:57 AM.
Old 2012-08-10, 05:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Ivam Akorahil
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post

4. Shadows OFF, as they don't add much to a game except a performance hit. Character shadows are fine and in WoW I keep them set to Medium (which makes them look like people rather than a grey circle)
i personaly like to strain my system to the max with shadows, they add SO MUCH depth to a scenery its worth the loss of performance for me

Originally Posted by fod View Post
i play on low settings (except textures on high so stuff still looks crisp) on just about every game even with a kickass PC
but but! its unhealthy! you might get eye cancer!
Old 2012-08-10, 05:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
theBreadSultan
Private

Yes your eyes stream a constant actually moving image into your brain.

however the eyes have nothing to do with it.

It is how your brain perceives time.

Which is lovely and complicated, but in essence involves your brain dumping vast amounts of data from the "now" 'memory banks/processor core' to the "just now" memory banks, and then again milliseconds later into the "hey that just happened" memory banks/processor core.

and so on and so forth.
And want to know something really fun?

We have absolutely no perception of the "now" data stream
we actually perceive the world, and present, a fraction of a second behind what the present is.

This linked in with a reaction time that is well over a second, means the advantage you would gain from 30fps vs 60fps is negligible if it exists at all.

If you want an edge, you will get far more of an edge being well rested and drinking a can of red bull before you play than maxing your frame rate.
Old 2012-08-10, 05:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Ivam Akorahil
Sergeant

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mVNjLprva94" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

will this settle the fps discussion ?
Old 2012-08-10, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by theBreadSultan View Post
This linked in with a reaction time that is well over a second, means the advantage you would gain from 30fps vs 60fps is negligible if it exists at all.
No difference. At all:
http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html
https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/
Old 2012-08-10, 05:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Gortha
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
True story, if you want something higher you gotta spend 300-400 bucks for specialized stuff. Anyone tried such screens?
I got the fastest TFT around.

A LG Flatron W2363D TFT. 120 Hz (120 Frames per Second possible) and almost NO Input Lag like an old CRT-Monitor.

You can feel a slight difference between 60 real Frames on a TFT with 60Hz
(when the game runs at synced 60 FPS (V-Sync ON) or when the game has more than 60 FPS)
AND
my 120 Hz TFT when i run a Game with more than 60 FPS(at best with exact 120 FPS).
When you turn fast(fast Mouse move)in Shooters you can see a smother and sharper Picture, you are able to recognize more details, can see more during the fast pan.

I do not play Competetive Shooters any more with a minimal FPS less than 30-45 FPS.

I could give a rats ass about competition tournaments to be honest. As long as they make it so people can't turn off leaves in trees and grass on the ground I'm fine. Allowing people to see stuff others cant because they choose to look at a horrible game detail settings is dumb.

I think it's bullshit disagree with me if you want to. I for one will enjoy the beauty of the Forgelight engine.
I am with Hamma. BF3 did this very good. Even on toned down GFX you still had no advantage over higher detailed GFX, because DICE managed make BF3 that way, that you had the same Visiible handicaps - still Trees, bushes, Grass, fog, Sunblind etc...

Thats a way to programm a competetive Shooter. To make the handicap even on every Grafic-Setting.

I püersonally want very high average-FPS but paired with almost maxed Grafix.
So good ahrdware is a must for me. Current build:

Sandybridge i5 2500k @ 4400 MHz
4GiG 1333 MHz DDR3 at CL7
ASUS CU2 6950 @ 6970 Oced by ~15%

Reg
Gortha

http://z0r.de/1573

Last edited by Gortha; 2012-08-10 at 07:15 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion