Friendly fire, problem or not? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PLease consult a physician before whoring.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-07-02, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Krawanan
Corporal

Friendly fire, problem or not?

Hey guys,

I think that friendly fire is a great addition to the game, since it makes it alot more real, and you have to be carefull where you shoot.

But i also have a few concerns about this.

How can you see if someone is on your empire in night time? From close it would be pretty easy, but if he's like 200 meters away you see him as an enemy, if FF would be off, you would find out soon enough ofcourse, but it is not.

And my biggest concern:
TROLLS

Aren't there going to be people who like hate an empire and then make a character on that empire just to team kill? Or just trolls who will do this for no reason.

Does anyone share those concerns with me? Or is there already a solution for this? And how did this work out in Planetside 1 ?
Old 2012-07-02, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Whip Nailed it
Private

Re: Friendly fire, problem or not?

i don't think so

team killing normally happens when ppl are after vehicles etc, but spawning your own vehicle should help prevent this
Old 2012-07-02, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sirisian
Colonel

There will be a grief system. It stops players from killing friendlies or not watching their fire. Worked in Planetside 1. Many people have explained methods for exponential grief for new accounts, but it sounds like the devs already have it all figured out.
Old 2012-07-02, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

No matter how bad the griefing is in a game, it is worth it to have friendly fire.

Friendly fire is core to having a good game.
Old 2012-07-02, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
proxy
Contributor
Sergeant

FF ON is a requirement for my playing this game.

I also don't like 3D spotting but what do you do?

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
Old 2012-07-02, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Krawanan
Corporal

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
There will be a grief system. It stops players from killing friendlies or not watching their fire. Worked in Planetside 1. Many people have explained methods for exponential grief for new accounts, but it sounds like the devs already have it all figured out.
How does this grief system actually work(sorry never played PS1)
Old 2012-07-02, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

PlanetSide 1 also had friendly fire, which is a must in order to prevent people from blindly firing at anything that moves. The grief system will prevent any serious abuse of friendly fire, though in all my years playing PlanetSide I've never experienced any serious issues with people team-killing or otherwise griefing.
Old 2012-07-02, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

FF must be in. There are times when you just have to TK someone.

As for night time... there is a thing called positive identification. If you fire on a friendly, you not only get the grief and hate tell, but you reveal yourself to the actual enemy and get wtfpwned.

If you can't tell if someone is an enemy, hold your fire.

Radar might reveal friendly units.

Old 2012-07-02, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Originally Posted by Krawanan View Post
How does this grief system actually work(sorry never played PS1)
Damaging friendly assets (team members, vehicles or equipment affiliated with your Empire) caused you to get grief points. At certain set levels you would receive penalties, such as not being able to fire your weapons or vehicles you are operating having their maximum speed reduced. If you continued to gain grief points even with weapons locked, you would eventually get banned.

The grief system did have it's flaws though, as teammembers hitting you while they were driving a vehicle would cause you grief points and bailing from a vehicle that than continued and hit a friendly asset also caused you grief points.

Last edited by MasterCalaelen; 2012-07-02 at 12:41 PM.
Old 2012-07-02, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Krawanan
Corporal

Originally Posted by MasterCalaelen View Post
PlanetSide 1 also had friendly fire, which is a must in order to prevent people from blindly firing at anything that moves. The grief system will prevent any serious abuse of friendly fire, though in all my years playing PlanetSide I've never experienced any serious issues with people team-killing or otherwise griefing.
Yeah i understand, but remember, planetside 1 was pretty much a cult game with a really nice and tight community.

Planetside 2 is going to be F2P and will probably have a wider variety of players. which could also contain cod/bf3 players. And tehy sure love to TK if they get bored
Old 2012-07-02, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Dreamcast
Major

The Grief system needs to be tweak...Why?

Low TTK...People die super fast.

So if they have the grief system of now....I can kill like 50 people before I get lock.

If they adjusted for Planetside 2......Well it could be a problem since I can get locked too fast....since people die really fast so putting a bomb in the wrong place could mean Lock.
Old 2012-07-02, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Krawanan
Corporal

Damaging friendly assets (team members, vehicles or equipment affiliated with your Empire) caused you to get grief points. At certain set levels you would receive penalties, such as not being able to fire your weapons or vehicles you are operating having their maximum speed reduced. If you continued to gain grief points even with weapons locked, you would eventually get banned.

The grief system did have it's flaws though, as teammembers hitting you while they were driving a vehicle would cause you grief points and bailing from a vehicle that than continued and hit a friendly asset also caused you grief points.
Ok that's clear, but what if like after two years of playing you had killed like 2 team members by accident each month, and also did some friendly damage by accident each month too. Wouldn't you have alot of grief points then which you don't really deserve since it were all just accidents?
Old 2012-07-02, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Ok that's clear, but what if like after two years of playing you had killed like 2 team members by accident each month, and also did some friendly damage by accident each month too. Wouldn't you have alot of grief points then which you don't really deserve since it were all just accidents?
Apologies, I forgot to mention that grief points would slowly dissipate over time, so if you accidently obtained some grief points, they would go away if you played carefully for a day or so.

The harsher penalties such as weapons lock also do not occur from damaging or killing a few soldiers, you would need to purposely be damaging friendliess exessively in order to hit such levels of grief.

Last edited by MasterCalaelen; 2012-07-02 at 12:47 PM.
Old 2012-07-02, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Krawanan
Corporal

Apologies, I forgot to mention that grief points would slowly dissipate over time, so if you accidently obtained some grief points, they would go away if you played carefully for a day or so.

The harsher penalties such as weapons lock also do not occur from damaging or killing a few soldiers, you would need to purposely be damaging friendliess exessively in order to hit such levels of grief.
Ok that sounds pretty good, my concerns are alot less now
Old 2012-07-02, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
HenchAnt
Corporal

Grief points decrease slowly over time. So going on a rampage with a grenade launcher gets you grief locked pretty fast, while hitting/ramming a friendly now and then stays unpunished.

For a better description check the Planetside Universe wiki on Grief.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions