IR/NV messed up - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Making you hit F5 since the Quote Database went live!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-02, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dokran
Private

IR/NV messed up

Well after GU2 i took a ride in the mag and my IR/NV don´t works against enemys cloaked it works same as normal view.

Is this intended or is something "collateral" of the GU2 changes?
Old 2013-02-02, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MyOdessa
Private

Re: IR/NV messed up

NV works fine, but infiltrators do not show up on it as well as they did before. I noticed that cloak in general works better after update. It would be nice if SOE actually detailed all the changes.
Old 2013-02-02, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
NUKABAZOOKA
Sergeant

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...th-ease.87841/

SOE needs to acknowledge and fix this. I'm on hiatus from Infiltrator at the moment because of how game breaking this is for us.
Old 2013-02-02, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Dokran
Private

Originally Posted by NUKABAZOOKA View Post
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...th-ease.87841/

SOE needs to acknowledge and fix this. I'm on hiatus from Infiltrator at the moment because of how game breaking this is for us.

Game breaking?, why? every human emits a radiation over absolute 0º that´s the "light" that is seen by this kind of devices.

Apart of the fact that we don´t really know how a cloak device should work, it make sense that a cloak enemy can be seen by IR or thermal sights.
Old 2013-02-02, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
NUKABAZOOKA
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dokran View Post
Game breaking?, why? every human emits a radiation over absolute 0º that´s the "light" that is seen by this kind of devices.

Apart of the fact that we don´t really know how a cloak device should work, it make sense that a cloak enemy can be seen by IR or thermal sights.
Game breaking that someone with low settings gets an extreme advantage against someone with medium or high settings.
Did you click the link and actually read? Or just make a bunch of assumptions?
Old 2013-02-02, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

They REALLY need to find a way to make cloaks roughly the same to spot on different graphics settings.

Everyone who hunts cloakers seriously is going to use low graphics now - just like before we all used medium.
Old 2013-02-02, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Here's a few facts for you...

Any intelligent person designing a cloak that bends lights for military purposes would incorporate all spectrum's of light readily available as optics on the battlefield. Otherwise it would be redundant before it even got issued.

Further your appeal to how things work in the real world is further undermined by the existence of material to mask a human or vehicle from Thermal imaging. Yes that's right thermal cloaking already exists now.

So no, it really doesn't make sense that IR/thermal make it easier to see cloaked Infiltrators.

On a side note I do 100% agree with others that the visibility of cloaked Infiltrators should be equal across graphic settings.
Old 2013-02-02, 11:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
HiroshiChugi
Captain

So Im guessing that no one uses High and Ultra settings to spot cloaked infiltrators anymore? After all, I use high graphics and was able to spot a cloaked infiltrator and get a head shot on him...I didn't even see him cloak,just saw a distortion .spotted him from approx. 100 meters away
Old 2013-02-02, 11:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Helwyr View Post

Any intelligent person designing a cloak that bends lights for military purposes would incorporate all spectrum's of light readily available as optics on the battlefield. Otherwise it would be redundant before it even got issued.

Further your appeal to how things work in the real world is further undermined by the existence of material to mask a human or vehicle from Thermal imaging. Yes that's right thermal cloaking already exists now.

So no, it really doesn't make sense that IR/thermal make it easier to see cloaked Infiltrators.

On a side note I do 100% agree with others that the visibility of cloaked Infiltrators should be equal across graphic settings.

Uh oh - looks like you dont understand physics.

Vision is based on light which is reflected by surfaces or emitted directly in response to light hitting the surface.
This light is what what would be bent by a cloak.

Body heat is generated by - your body. Bending it wont help because you are the source. It has to go somewhere.

And yes there is material that can shield you from heat imaging - its called - wait for it - "insulation."
Did you ever go for a run a in the summer wearing ski gear? Its a very limited solution to thermal imaging.

Maybe you shouldnt make suppositions about intelligent people - k?

Last edited by Ghoest9; 2013-02-02 at 11:21 PM.
Old 2013-02-02, 11:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
HiroshiChugi
Captain

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post

Vision is based on light which is reflected by surfaces or emitted directly in response to light hitting the surface.

Body heat is generated by - your body. Bending it wont help because you are the source. It has to go somewhere.

And yes there is material that can shield you from heat imaging - its called - wait for it - "insulation."
Did you ever go for a run a in the summer wearing ski gear? Its a very limited solution to thermal imaging.

Score +1 for the awesome people! :'D
Old 2013-02-03, 02:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post

Ghoest9 you can be excused for your stupidity, as no one expects much of trolls.

For everyone one else that isn't full retard, here's Thermal Cloaking for military application in the real world http://www.defensereview.com/blucher...are-operations.
Old 2013-02-03, 03:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Chewy
Major

Ghoest9 you can be excused for your stupidity, as no one expects much of trolls.

For everyone one else that isn't full retard, here's Thermal Cloaking for military application in the real world http://www.defensereview.com/blucher...are-operations.
Ok, I'll bite.

!

There's a video from your link showing that tech. At first the "ghost" clothing is as black as it can get in with the thermal cam. But once he removes his cover at 1:10 (looks to be a blanket) he is clearly visible. You can even make out his spot before he uncovers. Look at where his gun and feet are and you can see the the glow. It looks like a great thing, but it becomes useless after a short while once body heat starts to build and stays so until a while after you remove the suit and let it cool back down to under the ambit temp.

I will give it props for absorbing IR light and blending in under NV and UV (though that may be just its color working for it with NV, don't know crap about UV). But that's the thing cloaks don't do. Cloaks BEND light around the user, not absorb. If anything the devs had it right before the patch. Where cloaked persons was a void and had a glowing outline only. That way it showed the IR light bending around the cloaked person from an IR flashlight (a little LED attached to the mounted sights like any video cam nowadays) and failing to bend again after bouncing back off the background. More or less making the cloaked person his own shadow. Almost the same with thermal with the cloak either showing a cold spot because the cloak is bending heat energy to much or bending it to little and showing a blob for it being set to visible light.

Basically cloaks should work for NV, but not IR and thermal. But seeing how NV and IR are the same thing with just a color filter in PS2. IRNV and thermal should be a counter to cloaks seeing how they all vastly limit their users visibility.
Old 2013-02-03, 07:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Dokran
Private

Originally Posted by NUKABAZOOKA View Post
Game breaking that someone with low settings gets an extreme advantage against someone with medium or high settings.
Did you click the link and actually read? Or just make a bunch of assumptions?
Sorry but at the time you posted forums was not working for me, i´m with you in that different graphics settings don´t should have that impact in cloaks.
Old 2013-02-03, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Dokran
Private

Here are some facts for you, cloak don´t exist so everything you say about cloak and bending light that will incorporate all spectrum of light is a deceit you bring here to make us believe what you say, that will work with kids but not with me, and oh the thermal coating!, put that suit or be under a thermal net with a vehicle working in a 40º environment and i will tell you how effective it is.
Old 2013-02-03, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Here are some facts for you, cloak don´t exist so everything you say about cloak and bending light that will incorporate all spectrum of light is a deceit you bring here to make us believe what you say, that will work with kids but not with me, and oh the thermal coating!, put that suit or be under a thermal net with a vehicle working in a 40º environment and i will tell you how effective it is.
Firstly it isn't me that is always appealing to realism, I think ultimately game mechanics in PS2 should be based on playability and balance. It's posters here and on the official forums that want their IFF crutches like IR/Thermal that constantly refer to how things work in the real world.. and they're usually wrong on that too.

I didn't say that a cloak would bend every spectrum of light, what I meant was that anyone designing a cloak would insure that it could defeat any spectrum readily available on the battlefield or else it would be a rather pointless piece of kit. But your right, I don't know the details of how a light bending cloak would work and neither do you. BTW light bending cloaks are currently in development, but they've not reached a point yet that could be practically used.

In sum, we're playing a game with advanced technologies like nanite resurrection that push the game setting fully into the realm of fantasy, not realism. Yet even for what little it matters the real world/near future doesn't even support your position that Thermal should detect cloaks as often claimed.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion