Update 2 Feedback Thread - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: sorry the rejected list is full.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-03, 03:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Mordelicius
Major

Update 2 Feedback Thread

I don't see a PSU feedback thread yet, so might as well make one.

My first impression so far is it improved the quality PS2 gameplay. This is pre-hotfix.

Pro:
Performance - Slight but obvious improvement. It feels that my slow rate of fire are actually hitting and registering right.

Base Changes - There is a palpable increase in defensibility and length of battle in some bases. I have yet to try the smallest bases, but on Feldspar (Tower base) Waterson, the DVS asked on orders channel for backup holding the Vanu down. We had a pretty epic last stand. Even the Vanu was wondering out loud in chat why it's taking too darn long to retake the base Normally, it's just surround & camp mode. But those base covers, spawn shields made it much more difficult. I like it that the attrition war no longer favor spawn campers immensely.

Also when servers were reset abruptly, NC had managed to resecure the Crown with the TR already embedded at A and C. Under the old spawn room, it would have been much more difficult. So long spawn camping!

No spot spamming - I like the spotting function. I believe this is a good change overall. It rewards observant players.

Dynamic XP - There is a slight decrease of xp gain under this system, but IMO it for the better if it detracts any players from looking for the cheesiest spawn camping kills. I'd still prefer XP kill cooldown in exchange for a more defensible meatgrinder/chokepoint heavy bases, but this will do.

Minimap & UI - I enjoy the new minimap. The units display more brightly and they even show the enemies clearly. The old minimap used to be a haze of uncertainty.

Con:
No Damage bug - This is similar to the turret not giving any damage at any range. Only in this case it seems ranged dependent. Long ranged attacks won't register at all until you relog. And it's not limited to turrets.

Prowler Lockdown Mode - Is it just me or this thing has gone far too survivable? I was blasting it nonstop with a turret and it won't go down. Granted I don't know how many are repairing it at a long range but i'm also being aided by an AA turret, another Phalanx and a rocket launcher. It finally went down after a prolonged sustained fire. I have to check this a bit more, but they need to look at it imo.

Lag spike - There are some slight lag spike here and there. I've noticed it more if there are plenty of vehicles. The larger lag spikes I believe are being caused by cheaters trying to crash the map. Only this time, there is a lag but no crashing occurs. Usually it's instantaneous freezed and crash.

SMG and Infiltrators - Simply overpowered. They come out of stealth and blast you and there's no time to react. They should not be allowed to wield this weapon.

No comments yet on the Mags, Biolab or Tunnels since I haven't tested them yet (tested as in tested fighting, not using Magriders). Besides those, the updates I've seen so far are positive and awesome.
Old 2013-02-03, 03:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Re: Update 2 Feedback Thread

Yeah.. infiltrators and SMGs were a bad idea from the start. It's just frustrating for everyone else.

Everything else is pretty nice if you ask me, a patch that pushes PS2 into the right direction, especially the defensibility is much better than before. Yesterday we actually defended a tower against an incoming vanu force, never defended a tower successfully against a big force before

But: The overall TTK is really low now that everyone knows how to play. At least on Miller you often die in a splitsecond without seeing your opponeont because everyone knows what he's doing after a few months of playing. I really wish they would increase the overall TTK for everything because it really becomes a twitch shooter now that everyone is experienced. SMGs increased that feeling too.

Last edited by Sturmhardt; 2013-02-03 at 03:23 AM.
Old 2013-02-03, 03:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Blynd
First Sergeant

i have to agree on the infils it was bad idea but i love the new base and spawn room designs the tunnels and the warpgate rotation - maybe once a month we get a rotation so it doesnt get so stale,until cont locking and sactuaries come in ofc

the lag and fps issues are to be expected after 4 years of AOC i know how companies like to break the game with their patches and presumed soe would be joining them with ps2

The only thing i want to see is a benefit gen in a defendible position for some spec ops stuff and ofc the removal of the smg from infils and ill be a happy guy
Old 2013-02-03, 03:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Base changes are AWESOME!

ESPECIALLY the towers! I love the new "spawn tubes" too though
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2013-02-03, 03:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
zauberkraft
Private

Had a pretty epic fight at Alloys a few minutes ago. Vanu were swarming in but after ~40min we won ! Just because of the new spawn room + the new capture point.

Was so epic man.

Ok TR + NC tanks didn't work , but the magriders ofc ! NC got the best WG on Indar now. Amazing changes, but hotfix this tank/tower shit pls

No dmg bug with AA Max sucked, but no dmg bug with a tank is hilarious.

Wanna see tunnels and Biolabs now :> bb
Old 2013-02-03, 04:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Chewy
Major

Is anyone else getting their asses kicked inside of the new small spawn room?

We where holding back a VS push and a lot of us kept taking damage inside of the spawn room. Granted I knew of HE being able to pass a few walls, but the entire spawn room was getting peppered from the inside. Even the terminals got destroyed a few times over. I just couldn't get shield regen at times. Never had this happen before. Maybe the new roofs and shield doors have leaky seals.
Old 2013-02-03, 04:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
ringring
Contributor
General

The performance issues, the zone crashes and the rest meant that I wasn't really able to experience the changes properly.

However, on the basis of several hours of frustration.

UI colour changes. These are confusing as hell. Can we have the colours of objects on the map such as control points , terminals and teleporters, ie those captured by your empire to be the same colour as your empire. It makes more sense than otherwise, if not the ability to change the cololur of these independenly. TBH all that was worng with the previous colour scheme was that the colours were so washed out the map was hard to read.

Cloakers with SMGS are bad. This has to change.

Finding your way around and orientation was also bad in PS2 right from tech test. The change to the Tech Plant and the lack of 'cues' over where the tunnels lead to/from are in the same tradition.

That the perfromance issues as bad as we experienced made it into the live game should prompt a serious invenstigation within SOE. This should simply not happen.

In my work I used to manage commercial software changes and updates. Can you imagine what the response would be if after an update to a payoll or accounting system we had the same problems that has just been introduced to PS2. Think existential crisis!

Last edited by ringring; 2013-02-03 at 04:29 AM.
Old 2013-02-03, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
shamE
Private

The main problem I have been experiencing aside from the ones listed above is TR weapons being extremely weak after patch and hotfix. Could it be server side reg problems?
Old 2013-02-03, 06:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
UI colour changes. These are confusing as hell. Can we have the colours of objects on the map such as control points , terminals and teleporters, ie those captured by your empire to be the same colour as your empire. It makes more sense than otherwise, if not the ability to change the cololur of these independenly. TBH all that was worng with the previous colour scheme was that the colours were so washed out the map was hard to read.
Not sure if i'm understanding you correctly, but if you go into settings you can change the colours to whatever you like, or to the "empire colours" setting which I think is what you're asking for. Makes everything on your side (terminals, teleporters, control points, allies etc) your empire colour, and everything that isn't yours (including enemies and vehicles etc) their empire colour.
Old 2013-02-03, 06:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

The only problems I had were the performance issues- lag spikes, massive fps dips, etc.

But beyond that, I'm digging basically all the changes that I've seen so far. Good job, SOE. Keep it comin!
Old 2013-02-03, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
typhaon
Sergeant Major

There are obviously quite a few bugs, right now.

Once they get fixed, I think it will be a great update.
Old 2013-02-03, 06:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Mietz
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
Not sure if i'm understanding you correctly, but if you go into settings you can change the colours to whatever you like, or to the "empire colours" setting which I think is what you're asking for. Makes everything on your side (terminals, teleporters, control points, allies etc) your empire colour, and everything that isn't yours (including enemies and vehicles etc) their empire colour.
Yes, that is true, however half the people don't know this is possible.

The color-change should not have been forced but rather just the setting introduced.
The changes currently cause massive confusion amongst players:

-I had my own Liberators nuke me from orbit because they were render-bombing blue doritos thinking its NC.
-I had tanks unload into my own sunderer at long range because blue dorito.
-People standing at fully converted capture points waiting on an imaginary "flip" because its blue
-Grenades thrown into a bunch of blue doritos.

Directly from yell chat: "Man, thats a lot of NC today."

The patch could have simply introduced custom UI colors without forcing the changes.
Old 2013-02-03, 06:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Mietz View Post
Yes, that is true, however half the people don't know this is possible.

The color-change should not have been forced but rather just the setting introduced.
The changes currently cause massive confusion amongst players:

-I had my own Liberators nuke me from orbit because they were render-bombing blue doritos thinking its NC.
-I had tanks unload into my own sunderer at long range because blue dorito.
-People standing at fully converted capture points waiting on an imaginary "flip" because its blue
-Grenades thrown into a bunch of blue doritos.

Directly from yell chat: "Man, thats a lot of NC today."

The patch could have simply introduced custom UI colors without forcing the changes.

THIS !!!!!
Old 2013-02-03, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
Waht I mean is that a capture point converted by your empire should be the same colour as your empire, logically, that is the same colour as the map hexes owned by you.

On the default for TR the capture point is blue.

It can be changed to red, but then all friendly become red to, which mean enemy.

As a customisation option it's pretty half-baked.
Old 2013-02-03, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

OK. For my feedback I would like to state that I was always a PS2 fanboy. I stood by the class system. I like the low TTK. I support 1 man tanks. I even gave SOE the benefit of the doubt with the hex system.

The Bad

1. Performance dive. My machine isn't great. I was running PS2 decently before the patch. I could get ~20 frames in big battles. I'm now getting 4. It has become unplayable on my machine. I'm afraid this will affect other lower end users and cause people to stop playing.

2. Lag. Mind you my performance sucks, I'm even getting lag in empty areas. That shouldn't be happening. Its not on my end. I may have a low end PC but I do have fiber-optic internet.

3. The color scheme is retarded. It has turned many TR soldiers against each other because everyone started thinking we were all NC.

4. Tank shells for the Prowler aren't rendering. This is also happening on my friend's Alienware, which is top of the line. This is again, not a client side issue.

5. SMG's and Infiltrators was a bad idea. SOE done goofed. Give them auto-pistols, but the SMG is too powerful to combine with the cloak.

The Good

1. Spawn rooms are better. Good job on that.

2. The SMG's themselves are very nice with their moving parts. Do this from now on and over time, please retro this to all existing guns.

3. UI is better. Not a whole lot different, but what is provided is a good addition.

Overall: I am disappointed. More harm than good was done. This patch should have waited another week.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion