NPC's in planetside? - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If you're looking up here, you have too much free time.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-20, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #181
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: NPC's in planetside?

Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
nothing would kill
There is no concept of death on Auraxis. The creatures would be infused with the same NTU technobabble the infantry have except they're evolved to revive outside of warpgates. I think I mentioned that before. Smarter creatures would be inherently less fearful after thousands of years of living.
Old 2012-02-20, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #182
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Don't get me started on the Wombats! They are evil little things. Especially when there's 5 of them. They can easily kill a cloaking tiger, never mind a heavily geared soldier.

It's also bad when they get on the tracks of your tank, that shit takes ages to clean!
Old 2012-02-20, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #183
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by jakaul View Post
If he's in PS2, I'm going to donkeypunch your stupid dragon.
Pimpo would simply kick you in the nuts...
Old 2012-02-20, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #184
Fortress
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
There is no concept of death on Auraxis. The creatures would be infused with the same NTU technobabble the infantry have except they're evolved to revive outside of warpgates. I think I mentioned that before. Smarter creatures would be inherently less fearful after thousands of years of living.
so the dragons would be hunting us then

Old 2012-02-20, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #185
Espion
Staff Sergeant

That doesn't seem probable considering the animal population would spiral out of control. You'd have to have animal control NPCs that went out into the wild to *****/neuter all the animals, and then again every time some asshole ran them over and forced them to respawn. Can you imagine trying to neuter stealth tigers in the middle of a warzone every day? There's just no way. I think it's time to shelf this whole concept.

Last edited by Espion; 2012-02-20 at 06:44 PM.
Old 2012-02-20, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #186
jakaul
Sergeant

Why do people keep doing that. "slothbear" is a new one. I personally like that added level of awareness to my environment. It's not something I see often in multiplayer FPS games. Take the new Tribes game. Everything tends to get very predictable with their static maps when it's just players. Planetside started to feel the same way. Walking through Hossin during a battle I think really accented it. You had this eerie canopy of trees people fighting around you. It would have been an awesome place for creatures to live as players move through the swamp especially with low fog as I mentioned before.

You guys lock into ideas amazingly well. It was an example, but what about flares to block them. You have to get a bit creative I guess. Or the developers would need to. They'd have to pick creatures which don't exist on earth and have an interesting set of abilities that players learn depending on the continent. Also the wyvern attack could be an NTU ice shard so planes can dodge them. Or ice missiles. It's a sci-fi game so there's a lot of leeway. Watching a wyvern attack infantry in passes launcing ice shards would be hilarious to see. I made a comment a while back in my creatures thread about how uncreative a dragon would be flying in the volcano cauldron of Searhus.

The crystal tremor worm for Indar and the cloaking tiger type creature for Esarmir are still probably my favorite ideas since they capture the idea of NTU abilities and fit into Auraxis. That and creatures that are camouflaged for Hossin to blend into the forest environment would be fun (for me at least) to run into. Especially designing them so they aggro differently based on threats. I mentioned this before. Having a larger creatures be indifferent to infantry but feel threatened by a tank or sunderer was an example.
While this may be true, again, I fall back on the primary goal of the game, which is PvP. Immersion, in that context, is figuring out how to achieve the objective the group is tasked to do and that can be done without PvE involvement. Now, if you're talking about movement in wooded areas causing birds to let off an audible noise to alert enemies, that's something I might fight cool. If I spend 10 minutes getting my squad in position to assault an enemy outpost and a giant batlemur drops down from the trees blowing my cover because it's trying to hump my face while the entire squad shoots the forest to pieces, that's annoying.

I get it. In a perfect world, I'd love to have animals roaming around that AVOID players, which can tip off others in the area that something's up. However, non players attacking players is a big problem to me because it negates a lot of the skill that I really enjoy in PS1 (unless the player is chinese, but that's a different issue).
Old 2012-02-20, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #187
Neksar
Corporal

I wouldn't care if there were fauna, as long as they were just alien wildlife - nothing specifically build for ruining folks' days, unless there were some sort of bear. The dragons thing is a little far-fetched. Maybe a few birds. Maybe some alien herds on the ground. I'd say it's good for immersion. As for gameplay, just let the animals be passive unless shot at. I'd stop at that; the focus should still be on the genocide, after all.
Old 2012-02-20, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #188
jakaul
Sergeant

Originally Posted by IronMole View Post
Pimpo would simply kick you in the nuts...
You're dragon is quite rude. I don't think you raised him very well.
Old 2012-02-20, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #189
Fortress
Sergeant

wait

can i ride the tiger
Old 2012-02-20, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #190
IronMole
Sergeant Major

wait

can i ride the tiger
You would simply look stupid riding a cloaked tiger.
Old 2012-02-20, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #191
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by jakaul View Post
You're dragon is quite rude. I don't think you raised him very well.
He used to be like me, until he took an arrow to the testicle.
Old 2012-02-20, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #192
jakaul
Sergeant

He used to be like me, until he took an arrow to the testicle.
Arrows are clearly overpowered. I'd be pretty upset myself at that.
Old 2012-02-20, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #193
Fortress
Sergeant

You would simply look stupid riding a cloaked tiger.

*heroic
Old 2012-02-20, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #194
IronMole
Sergeant Major

*heroic
If it was a Koala I would be impressed.
Old 2012-02-20, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #195
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

This thread is about as fucking stupid as one of Traak's bigoted dissertations on why women are naturally whores, guns are for Jesus/Jesus is for guns, or anything dealing with the Bible and science.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion