no nerf on maxes *tear* - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where implants DO HURT!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-09, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Obviously I'm speaking from a skewed perspective, but there generally seems to be many more VS MAX units compared to TR and NC. Those VS love their MAX's here on Emerald, that's for damn sure.

Anyway, I don't think MAXs need a nerf at all. Using a Decimator you can, at close range, make short work of them, the possibility that you may totally miss at close range aside. Even without, a shotgun using AP bullets is nothing to sneeze at. Chances are you will die before you can unload the 24 or so good hits it takes with an AP shotgun to put the MAX down, but if you can get the MAX when it's distracted, you can inflict some serious harm. And, as you should know, at long range using a Striker, Lancer or Phoenix, MAXs don't have much to fight back with. Their weapons suck at a distance, whereas Empire-specific AV weapons excel.

Anyway, long story short, MAXs are a pain, but they're balanced as far as their effectiveness vs infantry goes. They sacrifice a lot to have that much power, and they have a respawn timer too. I may die to MAXs more than anything else as a grunt, but I really enjoy the challenge -- so long as we're not fighting a certain Empire which has flying purple MAXs (though that may be a bit better as of the latest patch).
Old 2003-05-09, 12:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Incubus
Corporal

Also you have to take into account that when, as a MAX, you come up to a locked door, you just aren't getting in. There is no way to jump out of your suit and open the door. Whereas any soldier can just open it and go in. There are so many angles that Zetre (nm?) just hasn''t taken into account.
Old 2003-05-09, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Incubus
Corporal

Originally posted by Zetre
Anywho, if you want to give examples, i have one too. I took out 2 reinforced guys with AP miniguns down with my sparrow. Wow. 1 or 2 AA maxes, then half AV and half AI maxes, and then a few hacker/engineers, and you're unstopable. It would take a bunch of people in vehicles and AV guns like pheonixes to take your group down, probably more people than in your squad. Not to be a cocky punk, but none of you seem to play a lot. And if you do, then you're either a big ass leet, or a max slut yourself

Last edited by Incubus; 2003-05-09 at 12:54 AM.
Old 2003-05-09, 02:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Saethan
Corporal

They're only powerful right now because of the recent character wipe. Let people get higher BR and the complaining will lesson. The complaining had almost stopped about them right before the wipe, personally my br16 had about 100 max kills while he had 250 agile kills. Not a bad ratio.
Old 2003-05-09, 02:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
�io
Lieutenant General

I think they are fine but there is a need for balancing somewhere, right now the armored (vehicles + MAX) category consists of like 30% MAXs 25% Reavers 25%Heavy tanks 25%the rest.
Old 2003-05-09, 05:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Vash
Staff Sergeant

I'm tired, so I'll probably be echoing other posts. I'll also start rambling as well, so be prepared for this to go on longer than it needs to

I'd say MAXes are pretty well balanced, I'd say. The TR MAXes might need a wee bit of tweaking still, but even they're far from invincible.

You say out of your "huge mass," you had no MAXes yourselves? What about anti-armor infantry?

The fact of the matter is, MAXes fall quickly against the prepared. The empire-specific weapons excel at knocking them out at range, while the decimator, which everyone has access to, is the single fastest MAX killer in the game.

Also keep in mind the MAX armors have 5 minute respawn timers. So sure you and your buddies might die assaulting a wall of MAXes, but guess what? You're back in the action in about a minute. There's no timer on your reinforced armor or your rocket launchers. All you have is a short respawn timer, a couple seconds to rearm, then a short run back to the action, depending on how close your AMS is (you DO have an ams, right?).
Your constant pouring into the base (as a TEAM) will have them attrited pretty quickly.

Certs arent exactly hard to get a hold of either, you know. You can get up to BR3 in 10 minutes without actually fighting anything. That's 6 cert points total. Getting to 5 can be done easily in a casual, solo evening. Getting to 8 is also a simple matter for your first night if you're in a good squad that's seeing some heavy action. That's 11 cert points for Medium Assault, Reinforced Armor, and either Anti-Vehicular or Special Assault with points left over for a support cert or a vehicle...

...which brings me to my next point. MAX pilots give up a lot for their armor and firepower.
They cant heal themselves or repair themselves. They cant lay turrets, mines or even clear their own path through said mines.
They cant hack a base or any terminals, let alone doors. They cant drive or ride any vehicles, except the galaxy or sunder, both of which require specific bases to be held to gain access to.
And with the exception of TR chaingun MAX, they cant efficiently engage targets outside of their specialization either.
Not to mention the fact that they cant be spawned at an AMS...

They're also very easy to overwhelm, given their turn speed. Two prepared soldiers can flatten a MAX by a coordinated assault. The single MAX will die so fast that the soldiers suffer little damage, or even none at all if the MAX pilot gets flustered even for a second.
Of course, even odds are more difficult, but equally so for both sides.
Three MAXes will do serious damage to 3 infantry, but god help them if the inf are prepared with decimators. If that's the case, 2 of the MAXes will likely fall almost instantly, but the inf will get whomped by the last one while swapping weapons. In circumstances like that, it's been my experience that winner is decided by sheer luck... like who opens fire first, or how much focused-fire the fight sees.

Aaanyway, my point is MAXes are not invincible... not by a long shot. They fill their role, and us regular infantry fill ours.
They draw fire, help us clear a room and cover us up while we hack.
In turn, we help them take out soldiers with anti-vehicle weapons, repair them and transport them.

Sorry if this was stupidly long. my mind wanders when I'm tired
Oh, and I'm not a "big ass leet" or a "max slut."

We're nothing like God. Not only do we have limited powers, but we are sometimes driven to become the devil himself.
Old 2003-05-09, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Led

Tonight started well. My outfit squad trundled off to... I forgot. Oshur? Something like that. Anyways, at first we were running into well mixed vanu forces.

We completely ran them over (including bohica )

But as the night wore on... more maxes kept showing up.

And more maxes.

And then reavers! Oh God, I should have taken a shot of the swarm of almost a dozen vanu reavers over one base.

We would fight our way to a base CC, hack it, and then wait. Grease a few stealthers, odd max with infantry or two. Then as the cap time would draw near... a handful of maxes would always show up. Those would be disposed of easily. Then a few more maxes would show up. By now my phoenix rockets are long gone (I just unload them at the first proper target I see), and we are running low on decimators. The few vanu infantry coming along do not really have much, they must have been waiting on MAX timers. After we deal with THAT wave...

MORE show up.

We cry.

And die.

Then while running back from who knows where, we get run over by fifty jillion reavers.

!@^$#$#&!$$&!&*%@@

Terrans are okey to fight, I guess. They use a decent force mix... most of the time. The problem is, NC maxes blow so hard, no one uses them! So while we are trying to blast all these other maxes with soft infantry and losing lots of folks, the enemy infantry merrily rips us up since there are no maxes of our own to deal with them or slow down the opposing armor!

Getting really sick and tired of this crap. Almost every night now is ending with 'Well that was a waste, everything we fought for is long gone'.
Old 2003-05-09, 07:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
BladeRunner
Contributor
First Sergeant

As a grunt, I used to fear MAXs. Then I got the Pheonix, and the decimator. Now I look for MAXs whenever I can. They're twice as much BEP.

There is no problem, please stop making really really weak and flamboyant arguments about 2 experiences you had.

It's really no way to gain a following.

::::[ Blade's War Photo Gallery ]::::

"I need a girl whose name doesn't end in .JPG"
Old 2003-05-09, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Indecisive
Major General

*complains about the damn DC max's*
Old 2003-05-09, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Jarlo
Second Lieutenant

WTF is DC?
Old 2003-05-09, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Indecisive
Major General

it took me a while to figure it out too hehe

DC = Dual Cycler MAX as in the Terran Republic lame ass Anti Vehicle max that does insane damage to both infantry and vehicles (max's as well) and never has to reload!

hey...that sounds like the mini chaingun 2...heh
Old 2003-05-09, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Knuckles
Staff Sergeant

WTF is DC?
The second member of the rock band AC/DC!
Old 2003-05-09, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
simba
Major

Originally posted by {BOHICA}mistled

Considering that I took down a max yesterday in standard armor (don't ask why I was only in standard, I really don't know) with a sweeper shotgun, I'm not impressed with your argument to nerf them.
u took down a max? Well that isnt too good, couse maxes sucks.
Funny u brag about taking down ONE max and not the 20 infantry dudes who wasnt in a max suit.
I think maxes is overpowered, that means a newbie can take down a good player (MAX-newbie, reinforced:experienced player).
the thing is, one max player is ONE player, not 2 that requires to drive tanks and such, and ONE player in a specific armour that makes u have 6 times more armour and 2 times more weapons just doesent seem right 2 me when ur only ONE player that wears that armour.
And I think u shouldent have to have AV weapons just bcoz thats the only way to kill a MAX, AP should do more dmg imo.
Old 2003-05-09, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
simba
Major

Originally posted by Jarlo
WTF is DC?
DickCleaner
Old 2003-05-09, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
simba
Major

Originally posted by Jarlo
MAX are fine, they trade off nice armor & dmg for a total lack of versatility. They cannot hack, cannot reapir, cannot heal, cannot gunner, cannot drive. And trust me, Lancer (VS AV weapon) shreds them big time! About 4 shots-- so 4 secs tops.

The solution of course is to have more soliders with AV weapons OR more soldiers in MAX.
more soldiers with AV weapons!? GOD! Allready 90 percent of the ppl playing beta has AV WEAPONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOE must be nutz, if u need 2 have AV weapons to kill a max theres no such thing as AP rounds.
SORRY.
I dont plan on carrying an AV weapon, I rely on my outfit 2 do that, but if everyone in PS must have AV weapons in this game
then I dont think it will be as good as it would with AP rounds possible.
AP ammo needs 2 do more dmg imo.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion