A few questions for those in the beta - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The VS are like Bulls. They hate the color red!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-19, 03:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
chem
Private

A few questions for those in the beta

Since I don't want this to be confused with spamming, I figured I would gather all the questions off the top of my head and post them all at once.

#1.) How does framerate compare with other next-gen fps games ( Ut2k3 on medium / Normal detail)

#2.) Can I set certian individuals to be waypointed at all times- for regrouping / coordination purposes etc. (and if so, what is the range like?)

#3.) Will I be rewarded points / exp for destroying vehicles or base equipment?

#4.) Is the friend / Foe Indicator extended to enemies- or do they simply lack any tags (for example, tribes 2 would show a red arrow above an enemies head)

#5.) Is recognizing enemies or friendlies at long range an issue?

I thank anyone who takes the time to answer one or more of my questions in advance.
Old 2003-04-19, 06:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

#1.) How does framerate compare with other next-gen fps games ( Ut2k3 on medium / Normal detail)
For me, personally, it's pretty good. I sometimes get killed when I open the door to an enemy tower, load for a couple seconds, and then find myself counting down to Sanctuary respawn. To elaborate, there's usually a little bit of a load when you go somewhere for the first time every session. For example, when you first load a continent, you'll have 30 seconds of a bit of chop. Later on though when you return to the continent, it'll be fine. Same goes for entering bases and towers and everything else of that nature.

However, I'll say this: The size of the area you play in dwarfs those of games like the new UT and everything else. They may have a smoother frame rate and better graphics, but they don't have tanks and heavy buggies driving around with Reavers flying overhead and Galaxies paradropping guys into a base defended by dozens and dozens of defenders.

PlanetSide makes up for a slight lack in quality with a major boost in quantity. That's part of why I'd actually play for it -- it really looks and plays like a war, rather than a death match.

#2.) Can I set certian individuals to be waypointed at all times- for regrouping / coordination purposes etc. (and if so, what is the range like?)
No. However, all squad mates are visible on your map/mini-map at all times, regardless of their location. So you can find squadded friends that way. Unsqaudded friends you'll need to coordinate with to find each other.

No, but you will be in some cases giving yourself a tactical advantage by preventing the enemy from using whichever terminals you destroyed.

#4.) Is the friend / Foe Indicator extended to enemies- or do they simply lack any tags (for example, tribes 2 would show a red arrow above an enemies head)
When you reticule-over a figure at long range, eventually their name appears above their head. If they're an enemy, their name will be in red. If they're an ally, it'll be green. I'm pretty sure the name showing up depends on how close you are, though, as sometimes you can reticule-over an enemy at extreme ranges and you won't be able to tell whether he's an enemy or what unless you can zoom in a bit to get a better look at his uniform.

Not really. You can usually tell whether or not an enemy is an enemy before your weapon (unless it's a Bolt Driver) is even within effective range for firing. But if you blindly fire at figures in the distance that you can't identify, yes, you do run the risk of hitting a friendly.

Last edited by Warborn; 2003-04-19 at 06:55 AM.
Old 2003-04-19, 06:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

Great! I have good rig, but I haven't seen one graphical slowdown yet. This is just beta too!

That may be a CR thing. You can see all of your squadmates on the map and radar - they show up as numbers. Communication is fairly easy.

Not really, but it does show up in your stats.

Yeah, enemy names are red.

It's a little tough at long range - like 500ft or so, but it makes it exciting.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-04-19, 06:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
air_head1
Corporal

so what happens if u have a bolt driver when u zoom in does the name appear or do u just get to shoot ur teamates which would be fun too lol
Old 2003-04-19, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally posted by air_head1
so what happens if u have a bolt driver when u zoom in does the name appear or do u just get to shoot ur teamates which would be fun too lol
At extreme zoom you'd be able to make out the uniform of the target. It won't be a problem.
Old 2003-04-19, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
air_head1
Corporal

ah i was hoping i could shoot my teamates
Old 2003-04-19, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally posted by air_head1
ah i was hoping i could shoot my teamates
Nothing stopping you from shooting your own team. You'll get grief points for it and eventually wind up having your ability to fire weapons locked for 30 minutes though, but I guess you'll feel like a big man for a few minutes after doing it, so whatever floats your boat.
Old 2003-04-19, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
chem
Private

Thanks a lot for the quick and detalied replies. I appreciate it.
Old 2003-04-19, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
WickedDeus
Sergeant Major

Re: A few questions for those in the beta

Originally posted by chem
Framerate seems ok for the most part. There is a little bit of lag but I believe that its mostly because I have a GeForce4 MX440 64MB 4xAGP card, which sucks and I plan to upgrade.

I think thats gonna be a CR thing but you can see your sq as numbers on the map. Mini-map does show a good size area.

Since I was playing an infil I didn't destroy any of this stuff, but I would believe so. Don't take my word for it though.

Ok, at close range(close enough to make out their colors) you see a green tag for friendly, red for enemy, and yellow for sq. At a distance no one shows tag until you have your cross hair on them.

See above.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion