Minimum required certification need to pilot a vehicle? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: For Proper Viewing, Take Red Pill Now
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-11-24, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
wildcat140679
Sergeant

Minimum required certification need to pilot a vehicle?

From what I understood so far, just like in Planetside 1, you need to have the certification in order to be able to drive/pilot a vehicle, you can't just jump in to every vehicle you see.

But certifications will do more and allow you to customize certain aspects of your chosen vehicle and other kind of side grades.

That`s all good and well, but now what if a squad mate pulls out a vehicle that you happen to also have the certification for. Only difference is, he advanced further in the certification tree and has the vehicle fitted with upgrades/side grades and other bells and whistles.

Would he leave the vehicle (for what ever reasons), would you be able to pilot the vehicle, with only the basic certification to pilot the vehicle or are all the other certifications required?
Old 2011-11-24, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Redshift
Major

Re: Minimum required certification need to pilot a vehicle?

I'm guessing not, or the mods will turn off and it will be stock
Old 2011-11-24, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
wildcat140679
Sergeant

Actually, I'm hoping it's allowed.

Getting a vehicle all buffed up cost additional resources and I'm pretty sure they will not be in abundant, paired with a possible vehicle timer like in planetside 1 restricting you from pulling out buffed up vehicles one after another and handing them out like candy to your team mates to use.
Old 2011-11-25, 03:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Coreldan
Colonel

It sorta depends. I have to say I sort of liked that anyone could pick up vehicles and aircrafts in BF3. If it's supposed to sort of be on equal grounds with grunting gameplay, can't see why it should be limited.

There are lots of people who have little interest for anything but flying, for example.

As for the buffs, I'd say just keep em, but naturally Bob couldn't go around pulling superbuffed Mossies to his whole outfit, but only one at the time.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2011-11-25, 03:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
As for the buffs, I'd say just keep em, but naturally Bob couldn't go around pulling superbuffed Mossies to his whole outfit, but only one at the time.
I'd say that you should only be able to have one out at a time. If you spawn another, the first one disappears. If you spawn a different type of vehicle, the first one still disappears. If you log out, it disappears.

Otherwise, some high level guy who used to drive a vehicle but no longer is interested could just randomly pull advanced vehicles for his team every time he respawned at a base and then go off and do his own thing. Sort of diminishes the value of unlocking or purchasing those advancements.

The more I ponder this, I think the idea of having vehicles revert to a stock condition if it used by someone who doesn't have the appropriate certs would be the best solution for balance.

Maybe they don't have to revert, just that the advanced attachments are unusable as long as the uncerted person is driving it. For example, the extra armor siding would still look like it was there, but it would provide no protection bonus. If they didn't have the cert required for that specific gunner turret, the turret would be useless.

Of course you could just disallow ownership of a vehicle to change hands, but I'd prefer to be able to swap ownership, even if it had a lot of restrictions like I mentioned above.
Old 2011-11-27, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Raka Maru
Major

I'm wondering about some things that haven't been asked. We are in the military of the empire of our choice. Yet we will be using resources for certain things. Will these resources be available because of the ground we fought for as an empire or will there be any individual resource hoarding?

I'm all for empire benefits, but concerned that this system was compared to the purely capitalistic EVE Online. In that system, the ship was yours alone unless you gave/sold it to someone who had the min certs to pilot it. Even then, if you don't have the skill certed for the certain gun, you will not be able to use that.

In Eve, I buy a ship, customize, then go out. If I get blown away, I have to buy another with my personal credits.

Just trying to prepare myself in what to expect.

What I want to do is pull anything I pre configured, then ride it until it explodes and be able to always get another one and let the military worry about cost, like in current PS1. so what's with the resources?
Old 2011-11-27, 02:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
XPquant
Sergeant

What about disallowing vehicle sharing altogether?

I must say this is a really good question and would love to know how they are going to approach it.
Old 2011-11-28, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Atuday
Master Sergeant

While I admit disallowing vehicle sharing would fix the problem that does not seem right to me. There are times when you would have good reason to give some one else your ride. For that matter I think it would be cool if they could even use the fully upgraded one while you stomp around on foot. The only real catch here is that it is still your ride. You can't get another while it is out there. You would then be stuck on foot with crappy armor and crappy guns while some one else flies around in your super plane or tank having the time of their lives. Not to mention it would cost you resources that they would then not have to spend. All of this combined makes the idea of sharing a super powered ride seem very silly and I think it would only happen on the odd occasion.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion