PSU: WOOOOO WOOOOOOO!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-10-05, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Neon Apocalypse
Colonel

How Do I get PS to work better

I heard there are ways to get PS to work better by shutting down applications before playing it. Usually I have AIM and winamp3 running, when i shut them off there seems to be a little difference. I go link dead alot also, like very 10 min, is it my network? or my comp? I am thinking of buying a new graphics card, and maybe some ram, which is better nvidia or ati, some say ati, some nvidia?

Intel P4 2.53 ghz
512 mb sdram
intel extreme graphics 64mb(i think its agp)
80 gig hard drive
comcast cable internet its ISDN i think
using a router which is connected to one other comp
Old 2003-10-05, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

You my friend have intagrated graphic so you are how do you say screwed.

But most likely your mobo will have a AGP slot on it. Go out and buy yourself a Radeon 9600 pro and hook it up you will get nice graphics the(but only if you have an AGP slot, its the one above all the PCI slots the is farther to the back, or mabee the front i can't remember)
If you bought the thing form a manufacturer the guidebook mostlikely has instructions on it. if not call and ask them

[Edit:] Cable is not IDSN its cable.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2003-10-06, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ir0nRaven
Corporal

Ask hamma about the wonders of Comcast. That right there is probably your problem with going LD...

I'm guessing they are the only broadband provider in your area, so you're probably stuck.
Old 2003-10-06, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Neon Apocalypse
Colonel

There not, but they have a sort of monopoly here in new england, i hate it. Verizon is the only other ISP, and they use DSL, my mom doesnt feel like changing her email adress aso she doesnt want to change because all her contacts would be lost for work. I heard that my problem is related to my router, so do u know anyway to make my router go faster, it says its at 100mbps, which is pretty fast, so how come i go ld alot?
Old 2003-10-08, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
TF_MrA
Corporal

the problem is not your router, nor your connection. Both are fine. Your problems lie in your video card, your ram, and your sound. Get a better video card. If you have the money, go for a 9600pro, which sell at 170 i think, but if not you can get a geforce 5200fx for about 130 i think, which is decent. second, get another stick of 512mb of ram. that will help so much, it will be unbelieavable. third, when ps installs, it chooses for the game to run the sounds, not the sound card. this makes it so that the processor is being used also for the sound, which slows it up alot. those three things are your main problems. besides that, your fine. i have comcast and it is great, it is awesome
Old 2003-10-08, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Neon Apocalypse
Colonel

I found out that its not my connection or my computer, its the routers fault. Its a piece if shite linksys $20 router, if i plug my ethernet cable directly into the modem the problem will cease, for now i have to play ps when my mom isnt working becausse she needs internet. So what im gonna do is buy a decent hub which will fix the problem and both of us will have the same bandwith. I'm still going to have to upgrade my system. Sometimes the vid card cant process everything so sometimes the lighting in the facilitys gos black, which is a pretty cool effect. All i need now is some ram and a radeon 9600. Anyone have any good prices?
Old 2003-10-08, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Zakaah
Private

As every one says your problem is your video card which to put lightly is a tad on the pretty darn useless side. Contray to what most people say go get yourself a Geforce FX 5600 with 256mb and your set for todays games. It is said that 256 mb is not needed for todays games but on a mid range card it makes quite a big difference.
Old 2003-10-08, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Get a Radeon 9600 pro (or XT if you have the money its only liek 30 more and its suposed to be able to rival the 9700 pro), it is so much better then the 5600 i have one so i know, even though as you can see in my sig i oced the crap out of it, even fryed the original coolers fan.

the 9600 cost the same, the only reason i got mine was because Ajump had a good deal on it and i had limited resorces(had to get a celleron to)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2003-10-08 at 03:37 PM. Reason: The Puple Dinosuars told me to do it
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum