Sound in Planetside: Next - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because Purple Owns You
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-03-12, 03:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Canaris
Contributor
General

Re: Sound in Planetside: Next

Well this is a very interesting topic, I always thought being able to identify the three different faction by the noise of their guns as something that would add a excellent aspect to the game and atmosphere of the setting.

Like the TR guns, all noise with plenty of piss and vinegar, kinda like the shoot out scene in Heat:
Skip to about 4:20

The NC guns would be on a similar line but using a higher calibure of round it would have a bit more bang to it's buck.

I did like the idea Star Wars had for there energy weapons, they used a mix of "energy" noises mixed into the noise of a real weapon firing. Gave it a good effect without going all Star Trek on it

I always enjoy a good mix real sounds in a game, so you can just loose yourself in the moment of a fire fight.
Old 2011-03-12, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Hamma
PSU Admin

Nice play on the Heat video. One of my favorite movie gunfights of all time - used to play that full blast on the surround sound system.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-03-28, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
LordReaver
First Sergeant

PS was very "high class". Everything was clean, the music was soft, the guns were high pitched. It is clear that they are making PSN a little more gritty on the visuals, so I'm going to go ahead and assume this is reflected elsewhere.

I had always planned on filming a battle, then redo the sounds in it, but I never got around to it. Which reminds me of....

Old 2011-03-28, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Nice play on the Heat video. One of my favorite movie gunfights of all time - used to play that full blast on the surround sound system.
Thats so funny. Me and my roommates would do the same thing. That is still one of the greatest gunfights of all time.

One of the first times we blasted it was my freshman year in college in the dorms, and we had all kinds of people running to our room with their eyes as wide as the moon thinking it was a real gunfight. I liked those speakers.
Old 2011-03-29, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Koopak
Private

Ok i stopped reading, just anted to give my opinion. If you want realism, first off no weapon in planetside is a laser however lasers will never be "eeeert" as someone said, keep in mind that not only will a laser be impossible to see, the sound it makes is that of the air it passes through and the target it hits suddenly going for a nice 70+ degrease to several thousand in the space of a nanosecond. This produces an unbelievably loud "Boom" followed by a noise like that of a forge except a good bit louder.

Most Vanu tech is plasma in nature, which would be a higher pitched firing noise with a lower pitched contact noise. This one is mostly speculation, til we start shooting plasma at things of course. As far as a lasher, god knows, that things almost AT in its design.

The NC's love of Magnet based mass drivers would mostly be a loud "Thump" as the magnets and capacitors would make little noise, all you would hear is the bullet pushing air out of the way OR assuming the bullet is not suspended but touching the inside of the barrel it would be very high pitched (less so on larger guns) and be effectively a very fast short lived screech, very "shrew!" or "pew!"

Larger guns would mean thicker metals and ultimately a more base noise to this screech, so i don't know how to put it into text but use yer imagination.

As for the Terrans and good old fashioned ballistic mass drivers using good old fashioned explosives, well go to a shooting range, the sound entirely depends on the weapon but usually is somewhere between a "bang!" and a "pop!" and occasionally something all the way out of nowhere.
Old 2011-03-29, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
LordReaver
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Koopak View Post
Snip.
Firstly, VS BFRs have lasers.

Secondly, unless one knows the general technology behind the weapons as depicted in the game (which nobody does, because they are made up), saying they will sound like X is utterly pointless.

That being said, bass sounds more powerful, and therefor funner in my book.
Old 2011-03-29, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Koopak View Post
Ok i stopped reading, just anted to give my opinion. If you want realism, first off no weapon in planetside is a laser however lasers will never be "eeeert" as someone said, keep in mind that not only will a laser be impossible to see, the sound it makes is that of the air it passes through and the target it hits suddenly going for a nice 70+ degrease to several thousand in the space of a nanosecond. This produces an unbelievably loud "Boom" followed by a noise like that of a forge except a good bit louder.

The NC's love of Magnet based mass drivers would mostly be a loud "Thump" as the magnets and capacitors would make little noise, all you would hear is the bullet pushing air out of the way OR assuming the bullet is not suspended but touching the inside of the barrel it would be very high pitched (less so on larger guns) and be effectively a very fast short lived screech, very "shrew!" or "pew!"
That's neat an all...but as I posted earlier(that was this thread, yeah?) your idea of what things sound like is rather wrong. Effective lasers have to barely interact with the atmosphere at all or else they're simply wasting energy, that's why you pick a frequency that air is transparent to (which is most of the feasible emission frequencies). I'm around higher powered pulsed lasers all the time, they only make clicky switching noises at the emitter. Continuous ones have fans and things so they may hum...on contact they sound like the video I posted.
Coilguns and railguns will make sonic booms like any other faster-than-sound projectile. Plus high voltage switching noises, arcing ablation of the rails and...again did you even watch the Railgun video?

Those things, at least, exist and we know what they sound like.

Plasma...yeah whatever you think sounds neat...the idea of most plasma weapons is sort of silly to begin with. Mostly because it's just ionized gas...and just like gas doesn't stay in neat little balls unless you put it inside something.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-03-29, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Raymac
Brigadier General

Yeah, a realistic laser sound isn't exiciting enough for a game IMHO. I'd like to see them more like the Hoth Ion Cannon from Empire Strikes Back. The sound effect is around the 0:23 mark.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion