News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 66 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: People Slaying U
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-19, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #976
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: PlanetSide 2 Region Lock (SOE is working on Resolution)

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
Unfortunately folks there just isn't any more information that can be provided at this time. A statement was made regarding region locks and there is no indication that will change. There is plenty of time before launch to resolve these issues.
Dunno what you guys are confused about..

He's talking about Smed there.

As I've said numerous times in this thread.. it's not like companies can just move at light speed. There are contracts, lawyers and all sorts of fun things going on with stuff like this. When SOE is ready to make some other sort of announcement they will..

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-03-19, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #977
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Dunno what you guys are confused about..

He's talking about Smed there.

As I've said numerous times in this thread.. it's not like companies can just move at light speed. There are contracts, lawyers and all sorts of fun things going on with stuff like this. When SOE is ready to make some other sort of announcement they will..
yeah but anyones have seen any confirmation or annoncement about how the servers infrastructures will work ? are we going to have a compleate chaos like all regions mix and mash toguether ?

or are we going to have regions restricted and regions open servers ?
Old 2012-03-19, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #978
ThGlump
Captain

Only Smed knows.

You asking too much. Thats the informations we are crying here for. We want to know it too.
Old 2012-03-19, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #979
Shogun
Contributor
General

oh boy... another one who doesn´t know what this thread is all about...

you don´t know a thing about how lag will be taken care of in planetside 2!
in beta we will see how it works out because i doubt there will be more than one beta server and we will play on it from all over the world.

don´t compare to older games that use just clientside hit detection! their problems may not apply to ps2!

but no matter how the ping affects gameplay or not, locked servers WILL affect the majority of players in a negative way. i´m not going to repeat the reasons again and again. this thread has over one thousand answers and most of them are about this problems

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-03-19, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #980
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
But it also suck for 300 000 millions people to have 20 000 millions of laggy at 500 plus PING in there games ...
Slight approximations...
Old 2012-03-19, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #981
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

300 billion players?

We're gonna need more servers.
Old 2012-03-19, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #982
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

you don´t know a thing about how lag will be taken care of in planetside 2!
in beta we will see how it works out because i doubt there will be more than one beta server and we will play on it from all over the world.

don´t compare to older games that use just clientside hit detection! their problems may not apply to ps2!

but no matter how the ping affects gameplay or not, locked servers WILL affect the majority of players in a negative way. i´m not going to repeat the reasons again and again. this thread has over one thousand answers and most of them are about this problems

Region lock is a good thing for most people north american play with north american , european with euro , asian with asian , In bf3 i will never ever choose a servers where the ping is over 100 just to play with the european people !

Most people have friends on there continents thats a facts only few people want to play with some friends across the globe most people want to have a lag free experience and play with their friends neigbourg etc..

its very wrong to say that it will punish most people ...

For most is a benefits in term of game stability ...

The only way thats it can punish everybody its If the player cap is so low thats u cant even fill a servers in every regions of the wold so yes you have to deal with multiple region mash in a gigantic servers ...

But if the players cap is very high in every regions there is no reason to not region block the servers it will just improove the game stability ...

because a few laggy in a game just make the entire game unstable with there broken package in and out ....

So if possible i would like to have region lock and region free servers
Old 2012-03-19, 11:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #983
Kran De Loy
Captain

Keeping some unlocked servers has been suggested multiple times throughout this very thread. In various forms.

Anyway, back to main topic. Like Hamma said corps don't work at light speed. It took them, what? 6 weeks from when the partnership was signed to when they announced it to the public.

TBH, this revised partnership deal that allows everyone to play on any server shouldn't take another 6 weeks to get to us about how it's been fixed.

Unless of course this region locking was some kind of keystone to the entire partnership, which says to me two things.

1) a good reason why region locking made it all the way to the end and was announced to us at all seeing how brain dead someone would need to be to NOT expect the community to react to it like it did. If it was a big part of how the partnership would work in the first place I can easily see why it took the outrage of the entire community to change any of the executive's minds.

and 2) As I implied above, that the executives that made Region Locking as a cornerstone to the deal are completely brain dead. Or at least when it comes to managing their own games they are.

If however that Region Locking was not a major part of the SOE/PSS1 deal then the longer they make us wait for the revised statements the more it shows that similar delays are to be expected whenever any other situations that need to be resolved between SOE and PSS1 arise. Like basic customer service or localizations.

Regardless of either case (since we'll never really know really) the longer they wait the more they're hurting their own image before the game even has a chance to take it's first breath.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-19 at 11:32 PM.
Old 2012-03-20, 12:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #984
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

but no matter how the ping affects gameplay or not, locked servers WILL affect the majority of players in a negative way.
Although I have somewhat stepped back in my advocating of having a region lock, I am not sure that you can accurately support this claim either.

From what I have been seeing, most of the people that are against the region lock are the people who still play PS1 and have created friends "across the pond." To be fair, there appears to also be a vocal minority in a few other areas of the world that are against it, as well as some sympathetic friends. But how many people do you think that really is in total? 10,000? Lets double that for good measure, 20,000 people would be a generous number don't you think? Feel free to add your own speculated number, to disagree with my speculated number.

Now..how many new people do you think will sign up for a F2P AAA FPS title? 1,000,000? Lets divide that speculation by 4 just to be safe and say 250,000 new players. I can't imagine SOE would be investing so much energy for less than that amount of players.

These new 250,000 players probably won't have this "overseas" bond. They will most likely be coming from other AAA FPS titles where the general rule of thumb is play on the lowest ping server. I highly doubt they will have much sympathy for the anti region lock cause.

Putting all this speculation together, one could reason the new players are the majority. And one could reason that the majority would dislike people not playing on the proper server for that region. Therefore the majority may feel that NOT having a region lock will effect them in a negative way.

I highlighted the above words, fragments, and punctuation to point out the effort I made to avoid "fallacies of reasoning." Learning how to structure posts without falling prey to these common reasoning mistakes usually reduces the amount of non-constructive argument from the people who passed reading comprehension in high school.
Old 2012-03-20, 12:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #985
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
(post above me)
I've been playing games with europeans for a while now. Server merge just increased the occurance a little.

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
Old 2012-03-20, 02:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #986
Kran De Loy
Captain

Yarp. Which is a big reason why a lot of people have advocated for locked servers as well as unlocked servers.

It would, if nothing else, at least test the waters to see which one not only gets the most players but also which one gets the most action (read as a combination of Use and Unexpected Consequences That Has Everyone Going WHHHHHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAA)

Either way, the more happy people they have the more money they'll generate and the more free advertisement from word of mouth.

The longer this gets dragged out the worse the indication it becomes of the general levels of communication that goes on at the top of SOE and PSS1.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-20 at 02:06 AM.
Old 2012-03-20, 04:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #987
Vancha
Colonel

Region lock is a good thing for most people north american play with north american , european with euro , asian with asian , In bf3 i will never ever choose a servers where the ping is over 100 just to play with the european people !

Most people have friends on there continents thats a facts only few people want to play with some friends across the globe most people want to have a lag free experience and play with their friends neigbourg etc..
Out of curiosity, where do you hail from?

For an MMO, region lock is not a good thing. MMOs benefit from more people and MMOs benefit from multiple timezones. Region locks can create dead servers at certain times of day. Now, if you'd read the thread at all, you'd be aware that plenty of us Euros played on US PS1 servers with a sub-100 ping. That was years ago and internet infrastructure is only going to get better (unless there's a economic apocalypse...Or an actual apocalypse).

"Most people have friends on there continents thats a facts"? What is this, 2002? If that's a fact, prove it. Link me sources.

I'd consider multinational gaming communities in this day and age to be normal and I'd guess they're probably the majority. Think about all the communities in Battlefield, CoD, Tribes, Dust514 etc. who might consider moving their people over to Planetside 2, only to discover they can't play together, so they decide they'll stay where they are. Think about all the people who make friends across continents in other games, and one invites the other to play PS2 with them, but wait, they're segregated (this has lost multiple games my money).

We know the netcode will be better than PS1, and lets face it, the EU players on US servers or the US players on EU servers will be a minority, so even if they did lag (which they shouldn't), it wouldn't be particularly badly, it wouldn't particularly effect the game, and even if by some stroke of coincidence it happened to tip a single confrontation in one side's favour, it wouldn't be the decider of a war over a base or a piece of territory, which is what Planetside's really about.

More players will always be preferable to a game like Planetside than a minority of people who might lag ever, ever so slightly. The only reason to consider region locking is if the lag from people playing overseas would be so horrendous as to make more people leave the game than region locking would, which really, really shouldn't be the case.
Old 2012-03-20, 05:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #988
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
Although I have somewhat stepped back in my advocating of having a region lock, I am not sure that you can accurately support this claim either.

From what I have been seeing, most of the people that are against the region lock are the people who still play PS1 and have created friends "across the pond." To be fair, there appears to also be a vocal minority in a few other areas of the world that are against it, as well as some sympathetic friends. But how many people do you think that really is in total? 10,000? Lets double that for good measure, 20,000 people would be a generous number don't you think? Feel free to add your own speculated number, to disagree with my speculated number.

Now..how many new people do you think will sign up for a F2P AAA FPS title? 1,000,000? Lets divide that speculation by 4 just to be safe and say 250,000 new players. I can't imagine SOE would be investing so much energy for less than that amount of players.

These new 250,000 players probably won't have this "overseas" bond. They will most likely be coming from other AAA FPS titles where the general rule of thumb is play on the lowest ping server. I highly doubt they will have much sympathy for the anti region lock cause.

Putting all this speculation together, one could reason the new players are the majority. And one could reason that the majority would dislike people not playing on the proper server for that region. Therefore the majority may feel that NOT having a region lock will effect them in a negative way.

I highlighted the above words, fragments, and punctuation to point out the effort I made to avoid "fallacies of reasoning." Learning how to structure posts without falling prey to these common reasoning mistakes usually reduces the amount of non-constructive argument from the people who passed reading comprehension in high school.
This isn't just a PS2 thing. This is effecting ALL their games. EverQuest 2 community is going batshit over this. Why? Because it is an arbitrary splitting up of the community and friends. For absolutely no benefit to the community.

I have plenty of friends in multiple countries that I'm eager to play with, and they're eager to play with me and each other.

If SOE tell us we can't play together, because they want more money, then we will go elsewhere and find another game.

Last edited by Shade Millith; 2012-03-20 at 05:21 AM.
Old 2012-03-20, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #989
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Firstly, I'm from Britain, I ping east coast servers in BF3 at around 50-80.

What year do you live in? Most of us have spent 15+years at the least building up our networks of friends, guilds, clans. Some of us have competed in the WCG in various games over the years, many people have competed in multiple leagues all over the world, others simply have various friends from various guilds the world over. The only people that have friends that are ONLY local to them are people that haven't been gaming for very long and have never really gamed with people outside of their real life social circles.

its very wrong to say that it will punish most people ...
It will punish every single outfit that has anyone at all outside of their region.
It will punish every single person that has any friends at all that have moved country in their lifetime.
It will punish every single person that serves in the military, not being able to connect to US servers while in service (yes they do get to game in their off hours).
It will punish a ludicrous number of people.

For most is a benefits in term of game stability ...
Are you a developer? From what experience do you say this from? From what technical standpoint?

Speaking from actual knowledge of this subject. It is a fucking MYTH that high ping users on a server cause everyone on a server to have a higher ping, I'd love for someone to attempt to argue with this and explain why, I will get a considerable laugh out of it.

The only person that suffers a slightly lower game quality is the person out of country. Nobody else.

because a few laggy in a game just make the entire game unstable with there broken package in and out ....
Lmfao. This is hilarious. Do go into more detail.

Sure, if we were all still playing UT and Quake the argument for region lockdowns would be correct, netcode has come a long way since then though, one person's lag does not cause everyone else to lag.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com

Last edited by Skitrel; 2012-03-20 at 06:21 AM.
Old 2012-03-20, 06:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #990
Coreldan
Colonel

I found a spot in your post that doesnt apply to me Skitrel

Been online gaming for the odd 15 years or something now, I've played very little online with my RL friends (only really got one gamer friend RL), yet I do not have friends on other continents I would consider playing with.

Although to be fair, I did play a game called Tibia 6-7 years or so on an US server (the name of the server sounded cool lol) so I did make a lot of international friends there, but I stopped playing so long ago and so did these friends that I dont really have any connections to them nowadays.

I've intentionally kept my gaming friends from the EU. I found it hilarious for example when APB was about to come out and people were making international clans and then were surprised that there were different servers for each continent. How can you be surprised about that?

In terms of PS1 though I understand why and how people have made strong bonds over to "wrong continents", perhaps EVE online is a good exception too, but baseline is that no, you do not have to be a new online gamer or just stick with your RL friends to not have strong bonds to another continent

I sadly didn't find out about Planetside until 2010 (tells how well it was marketed when an avid gamer like me didnt hear about it until 7 years of its release), which probably does explain why I don't really have any major bonds to the NA anymore. Even in EVE Online I joined an EU corp just for these reasons.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion