[Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What does F5 do?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-21, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #136
Shogun
Contributor
General

Re: [Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR

so flightstick support should be disabled as well in ps2?

it gives an advantage to those who buy flightsticks. oh and disable extra mousebuttonuse please!
otherwise people with more than 3 buttons get an advantage over people who use a oem mouse that came with the system...

and don´t forget to cap the resolution, so everyone has the same quality on the screen! and switch the lag of every player to the highest lag possible, so people with cheap internetconnection don´t suffer from disadvantages...

edit:damn, halfman beat me ;-)

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-03-21 at 11:28 AM.
Old 2012-03-21, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #137
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by HalfManHalfGod View Post
I don't understand you argument. Why limit the games features? I suppose people with larger monitors or dedicated voice comms for their outfit translates to an advantage but you're not whining about those...

The game should NOT be limited to the lowest common denominator. Otherwise why not restrict what hardware can play the game?
The game will support in-game VOIP. So outfits without dedicated voice comms will have a minor advantage, at best, in that outfit mates can have their voice comms open while not playing. This level of communication is just as easily handled via IRC channels, instant messaging clients, telephone, etc. Or, you know, logging in to see if anything interesting is happening. I don't consider dedicated voice comms to be an advantage when there are good in-game comms. If you look at my posting history, you'll see that, before it was announced, I was a vocal supporter of in-game VOIP.

Likewise, duck over to the Multiple Monitors (Not Eyefinity) thread, and you'll see that I'm against Eyefinity support, too, because having a wide FOV is most *definitely* an advantage.

Monitor size is less an issue than monitor resolution, but that comes down to gamer preference and is just part of the PC gaming landscape. This falls into "Yes, it can be an issue, but reasonably large -- that is to say, large enough that there isn't a sizeable disadvantage -- monitors are prevalent enough among the gaming community that it's not worth worrying about" category. It's not like 90% of the world is using 640x480 screens with their computers anymore, so the guy with the 1680x1050 screen is smoking his allies before they can discern that he's not just a 4-pixel blob.

Similarly, widescreen has (thankfully) become prevalent enough, available enough, and cheap enough that I no longer believe whether to allow widescreen-appropriate Fields of View is worth arguing over. Which, you know, I used to do back in the day, as well -- see the Eyefinity comment.

Eventually, stuff like this will become less expensive, and built-into more things, and I'll welcome the day when you can make a game that takes advantage of cool gaming rigs with motion sensors, 3D, head-tracking goggles, etc., have those deliver a more responsive and higher fidelity gaming experience, and market that to a broad audience without restricting your market significantly. I love the tech. But loving the tech and thinking it's right for a given game are two different things. That sort of thing will fit a flight sim game before any other genre, I think, because the sim enthusiasts are early adopters and willing, as a market, to spend money on bleeding edge things like that. For a F2P game that relies on players to saturate its battlefield and provide a fun experience, though, the decisions you make will be different than the ones a more simulationist game makes, and that doesn't make either one "wrong."

In any event, I know you guys have this stuff, and enjoy it, so it's your pet issue, and you want it in game. And I can't blame you for it. I don't personally have one, but I probably could fit it into my budget if I had to in order to have fun. But that's not the point -- the point is, I want the game to attract a WIDE and BROAD variety of people, because fighting a massive battle with nobody around is not fun. And so I do want the developers to pay attention to what does and does not create a barrier to entry, or a barrier to success. I believe I've expressed that concern sufficiently, so I'll leave you guys to it here.

Last edited by kaffis; 2012-03-21 at 12:02 PM.
Old 2012-03-21, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #138
Coreldan
Colonel

I guess you also think everyone should be locked to 30 fps while playing, cos you cant expect people to get good enough rigs to run at 60 fps and people who can run at max FPS clearly have an advantage.

Perhaps exaggerated example, but it does follow the rest of your logic though

Don't take this the wrong way, but consoles and people like you are the reason why games are far beyond what they could be

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-21, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #139
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

If games did not support the new techs, there would be no progress towards newer cooler techs.

Like you say, with you previously fighting against widescreen and the like. Support of products like track IR now brings it into the mainstream in the future. This is a good thing.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-21, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #140
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
If games did not support the new techs, there would be no progress towards newer cooler techs.

Like you say, with you previously fighting against widescreen and the like. Support of products like track IR now brings it into the mainstream in the future. This is a good thing.
Exactly what I meant in my post above, probably just worded in a better way

As in, not meant as a personal insult or anything, but still making a point

Old 2012-03-21, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #141
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post

HOW DARE YOU PERSONALLY INSULT ME! Second ignore!

Old 2012-03-21, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #142
HalfManHalfGod
Private

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
the point is, I want the game to attract a WIDE and BROAD variety of people
We all do. This is going to be a FREE AAA MMOFPS with all the bells and whistles of a modern FPS title. MAYBE even have some features that other FPS don't /cough MW3 BF3 /cough.

It may even attract people who already have TrackIR and know nothing about PS2. "Hey look another title that supports my $100 item and its FREE!" Instant download and another person to experience the best FPS game ever made.
Old 2012-03-21, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #143
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
HOW DARE YOU PERSONALLY INSULT ME! Second ignore!
I'm sorry Coreldan but we'll have to ask you to leave the premises. This sort of vile behaviour is simply unacceptable in our elite club!

Or perhaps there is another solution

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2012-03-21 at 11:58 AM.
Old 2012-03-21, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #144
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

I believe PS standard is that the duel would be a knife fight.

Old 2012-03-21, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #145
Shogun
Contributor
General

i say give planetside as much support for as much fancy gamerhardware as possible!

this will attract the hardcore gamers who already own those things and will bring us good players.
and it may raise the interest in the supported tech and therefore fuel the developement of even cooler stuff, like some already pointed out.

it has always been the case, that those who buy expensive gamergear have an advantage over those who play on budget rigs. that´s the reason for buying such stuff.

did you play descent in multiplayer? in this game cpu speed directly translated into speed of your ship! you had the fastest machine, nobody could run from you.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-03-22, 03:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #146
HoovesMcG
Corporal

Most of the reply's I see on here that are against TIR, have either
A. Never tried it.
B. are EXTREMELY close minded

They dont realize that supporting new tech is what got them to this point in gaming. You want fancy cool products like this to come down in price? Well games have to support it so it becomes more popular.

the Blind hatred and misunderstanding of the tech and how it ACTUALLY works plain amazes me.

My favorite ignorant remark:

DUH you cant use that, if you look left or right, you wont be looking at the screen anymore!!

Yeah way to go there champ. Thats why we all have one, cause we don't like looking at our screens when we look around.

Do some research people, you'll find that a CRAP ton of game supports all different kinds of motion trackingnot jsut TIR. EVEN BF3 and MW3. And yes it works fine. Just not how you think.

some vids to demonstrate

Last edited by HoovesMcG; 2012-03-22 at 03:57 AM.
Old 2012-03-22, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #147
Beagle
Private

I don't personally use TIR but the group I'm in has a lot of users for it and they all love it, and I can see how it's very useful for them, predominantly in awareness during flight.

I do personally use freelook a lot though. Something as simple as how BF3 lets you hold right click to freelook around - this is a must have and I can't imagine PS2 shipping without it. Adding in TIR support that makes use of that is icing on the cake.
Old 2012-03-22, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #148
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

The technology looks awesome, if PS2 supported it i would definately buy one. If you honestly dont realise how much of an advantage this would be in the field then your loss. it would take a short time to get used to but it would be well worth it.
Old 2012-03-22, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #149
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

This thread has taught me two things...

(1) People with shitty computers believe everyone else should have an equally shitty in-game experience. Yes, we get it people. Your computer sucks and you don't think I should be able to run the game at twice the resolution as you with 3 times the frames per second. I guess we should all rock a boxed Dell with an 18" "fat back" monitor and a roll-ball mouse.

(2) I disagree with everything kaffis says and agree with everything Skitrel says*. Seriously, anytime I am thinking about responding with something I see Skitrel's response and no longer have a need ... Well done sir.

(*) This comment is strictly for this thread.
Old 2012-03-23, 03:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #150
Coreldan
Colonel

This from the reddit AMA/Q&A/whatever:

Q: Eyefinity, will it work? Also, track IR?

A: Not sure on Eyefinity and TrackIR, we have them on our compatibility list but we haven't do anything to specifically implement either so far.

So at least now we know they are planning to/have aknowledged this, lets hope they actually get to the implementation part son.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion