Do you like the jelly? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: No one will mind if you post naked...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What kind of damage indicator do you prefer?
I love the jelly all over my screen, it's realistic 20 12.82%
I would prefer to have a flash when you take damage but it disappears afterwards 84 53.85%
No red crap on my screen at all, please! 40 25.64%
Other? Post a comment 12 7.69%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-06-06, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Re: Do you like the jelly?

Nice eyes there Bags, never noticed.
If its the tint around the screen, excellent.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Nice eyes there Bags, never noticed.
If its the tint around the screen, excellent.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

I've always felt directional flash(flashes only on the side your getting shot from) is the only type of damage indicator that should be used. You obviously can't feel inside a game, but you should still be able to tell which direction the gun fire is coming from.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-06-06, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Neksar
Corporal

Was never a huge fan of blood on the screen, but I understand its utility as as a suppression effect if it comes down to it. Regeneration is a bit slower in this, though, so the effect is toned down to match. Not bad.

I do wonder if they'll have some sort of suppression mechanic. In combat, people don't run out into gunfire like lemmings because they don't want to get shot and die. In video games, there's no fear of death, and hence suppression has to be simulated in order for suppressive fire to work at all. I'm not sure if PS2 needs that sort of thing, though, since light assaults will be hopping about in jetpacks anyway.

For now, I think I'll just make myself comfortable on this here fence.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Neksar View Post
Was never a huge fan of blood on the screen, but I understand its utility as as a suppression effect if it comes down to it. Regeneration is a bit slower in this, though, so the effect is toned down to match. Not bad.

I do wonder if they'll have some sort of suppression mechanic. In combat, people don't run out into gunfire like lemmings because they don't want to get shot and die. In video games, there's no fear of death, and hence suppression has to be simulated in order for suppressive fire to work at all. I'm not sure if PS2 needs that sort of thing, though, since light assaults will be hopping about in jetpacks anyway.

For now, I think I'll just make myself comfortable on this here fence.
Good god no... that'd make the cat herding even worse, and it makes you lose control of your character. It's a game, treat it as such.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Vancha
Colonel

Can we please shut up about jelly? There's a glow around the edge of the screen, not blood spatter.

Edit: Regarding suppression - If you need to "simulate" fear in an annoying way to avoid people throwing their lives away, then the game's failed at immersion and death penalties.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-06-06 at 01:24 PM.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Bags
Lieutenant General

Yeah, I was confused about that too, I never saw any jelly, just red.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Personally, I'm fine with just the directional hit indicators.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Neksar
Corporal

I'd like to emphasize the some kind of suppression mechanic. In any shooter that claims to be tactical, I always found it kind of silly that one of the most common military tactics is ignored under the assumption that players don't like being shot. Well, that may be the case, but they'll still merrily march into gunfire anyway, take a few bullets, and be no worse for wear if they pulled off their shots fast enough. I would consider a longer activation time for regeneration to be a suppression mechanic in this case, as it makes players less likely to repeatedly prance into the line of fire with the knowledge that they'll regenerate anyway shortly thereafter.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Personally, I'm fine with just the directional hit indicators.
It's not a hit indicator, it's a low health indicator. It doesn't happen every time you get hit.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I saw those people at E3 getting to play PS2, I was very jelly.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
It's not a hit indicator, it's a low health indicator. It doesn't happen every time you get hit.
I am aware. But I'm am fine with JUST the directional hit indicator.
Old 2012-06-06, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
megamold
Second Lieutenant

one of the most important things i took away from the livestream is that the UI is costumizable. they talked about it briefly and you could see players with different UI setups.

i dont see why they would put in several different styles of health/shield bars, and then not go and give us a couple choices for crit health indication.

also this:
Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but when I saw those people at E3 getting to play PS2, I was very jelly.

Last edited by megamold; 2012-06-06 at 04:37 PM.
Old 2012-06-06, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Neksar View Post
I'd like to emphasize the some kind of suppression mechanic. In any shooter that claims to be tactical, I always found it kind of silly that one of the most common military tactics is ignored under the assumption that players don't like being shot. Well, that may be the case, but they'll still merrily march into gunfire anyway, take a few bullets, and be no worse for wear if they pulled off their shots fast enough. I would consider a longer activation time for regeneration to be a suppression mechanic in this case, as it makes players less likely to repeatedly prance into the line of fire with the knowledge that they'll regenerate anyway shortly thereafter.
Lore wise, your soldier is immortal, wtf does he have to worry about?

Game wise, it's just stupid. Some soldiers are more then capable of ignoring their own fear and charging head long into battle guns blazing, such is the stuff of heros and legends. You really want a mechanic that denies the players the choice between taking cover and fighting smart and head long charge? Worse forcing them to rely on a dice roll to determine if they wet themselves first?

Finally, I've never seen a successful use of charging wildly into battle in PS1. The person who benefits from these charges the most is the 3rd or 4th man in who gets the reloading enemies rather then full auto spray enemies.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-06-06 at 05:05 PM.
Old 2012-06-06, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Neksar
Corporal

The psychological trauma associated with dying and being reconstructed sounds good enough for me. Not to mention that a person technically ceases to be if they are refabricated, but enough metaphysics. Original PS didn't need to consider stuff to keep players from charging out of cover like idiots because health and shields didn't regenerate. In PS2, they do, and TTKs are shorter. I'm just trying to find a way to reward mindless zerging less.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion