Max abilities effecting AA - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: you may never be the same again.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-23, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Badjuju
First Sergeant

Re: Max abilities effecting AA

Originally Posted by RykerStruvian View Post
The NC Max ability doesn't make sense when you compare it to the other MAXs. You could argue this is a 'grass is greener' argument, but that really is not the case. The NC MAX shield does not belong in the game when in comparison to the other MAX abilities. The reason for this is that the other two MAX abilities are not for strategic applications, they're good for essentially all applications.

The TR can lockdown at a moments notice and counter infantry, ground, and air advances across different types of engagements, either from interior battles or exterior battles. The VS MAX, while taking more damage, is still more practical across different engagements as a standard tool.

The NC MAX ability, however, is a STRATEGIC tool. This makes it specifically situational and lowers its actual combat viability because of the fact it is strictly situational. You could argue the other MAX abilities are situational too and strategic in application/use, but you can't argue that their actual frequency of being useful is extremely low/situational.

The fact is this: The NC MAX ability was a very poor choice for the developers to put into the game in its current state in comparison to what the other factions got. If the TR/VS got something similar, an ability which lets them soak damage up while not being able to deal it, or honestly just a copypasta of the NC MAX shield, then it would make sense. But currently, in comparison to the TR/VS have, it really does not logically fit in the game as a game design choice by the developers.

What would make sense is if the NC MAX had a personal shield like the HA personal shield, but with less soaking potential than the current NC shield pool. This would allow the MAX to still be able to shoot. If not this, then at least allow one gun on the NC MAX to be able to used when the riot shield is equipped. Given the current trade off, the shield is not worth it.
Really? The NC max ability is by far the best of the three, especially if the max has an engi. It also increases its combat viability drastically and is useful in any situation. Why you think other wise is beyond me.

The VS is good, TR is laughable aside from its AA capabilities. There are very few places where it is even remotely safe to use lockdown and mobility is just to important to lose in a low TTK game.

All are completely stupid in my opinion. They should have gone for utility instead of making incredibly durable killing machines more deadly or durable.
Old 2013-05-23, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Badjuju
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Technologist View Post
I messed with the MAX's of all 3 factions for most of the day.

The VS Max ZOE abilities are just plain OP and as users CERT it up it will just be more out of proportion. VS Burster MAX's are more powerful and can destroy air that much quicker. ZOE never shuts off and you get Faster movement speed with much higher damage and quicker time to kill on all weapons. ZOE MAX's can now stalk infantry, over-run them quickly destroy them with ease. This is going to turn the game into a "MAX Predator" infantry as Prey situation.

The TR MAX is just a third baked VS max as all you really get is a quicker time to kill with limited range of motion and inability to move. It will definitely have many uses and is better then nothing but the VS MAX is way over the top in comparison.

The NC Shield in 95% of situations is almost useless and using Shield instead of Charge really offers very little benefit as getting out of danger with charge is better then blocking 1.5 tank rounds only to be in the same place with a blown out shield. The shield also makes it extremely hard to see incoming projectiles. I'm sure some will create bizarre tactical uses for the shield but overall it sucks.

Everyone should at least create alts and try out each of the other factions MAX abilities in the training facility. You really need to know the advantages and limitations so you can better defend yourself against them.
Maxes Niche is in doors. There is nothing it can do out doors which something else cannot do better. Scatt maxes already ruled in doors, and the shield is beyond viable in doors. How the shield holds up to tank rounds is irrelevant.
Old 2013-05-23, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Went up against my first ZOE MAXes tonight; they certainly didn't seem too OP.

And with them glowing like they do they are even more of a bullet magnet than a normal MAX.
Old 2013-05-24, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
SolLeks
Master Sergeant

This was not originaly ment to be a Max Vs Infintry / tanks thread, it was how the bursters gain effect with these abilitys vs aircraft.

AA maxes prior to GU9 were already OP imo, now they are even more so except NC ones, but I don't have to fight them so I don't really care.
Old 2013-05-24, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I still think the NC MAX shield should have taken a weapon slot. Halved damage for the increased defense.

Old 2013-05-24, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
SolLeks
Master Sergeant

If I could shoot and use the shilde or atleast partaly use it (ie, when its 'down' it still covers a good portion of the body and when its up you can't shoot) then I would be all for that xD
Old 2013-05-24, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
RykerStruvian
Staff Sergeant

Thats the point I was trying to make. Being able to at least shoot, even one burster, would be fair. As it stands the aegis shield provides no real logical benefit except in CQC.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion