Debris, its time for a change - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Free spam 24/7
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-17, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
snafus
Sergeant Major

Debris, its time for a change

I really didn't feel like putting together a snazzy video giving a ton of reasons why me and many others despise the current state of Debris. But I feel it is way past due that we start giving some attention to this damnable foe that kills so many of us. As a buddy of mine said "Planet side is the only game that punishes you for winning a fight" and what he meant by that is every time you kill a enemy vehicle you now have to account for the remnants of his vehicles carcass that is floating around just waiting to destroy your moment of victory.

Now I understand it adds substance to the game when we have the debris of a destroyed vehicle flopping around making that kill feel more real. But as a primary ESF pilot that has to contend with the horrible server latency in game, those floating debris are far more deadly then most opponents. At this point I ask that they remove the collision damage to Debris until they can find a way to reduce the collision risk and server latency. And remove the kill credit that people receive for being lucky enough to have their debris land on an enemy.

If you share my dislike for the silly state of Debris bump this thread and spread the word. Down with debris that villainous cunt that she is.

Old 2013-05-17, 02:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Re: Debris, its time for a change

Why do I feel like I've seen this thread before...?

[;P]
Old 2013-05-17, 02:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
snafus
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by EvilNinjadude View Post
Why do I feel like I've seen this thread before...?

[;P]
Shhh some might not notice.

Old 2013-05-17, 02:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

How else can I hope to kill you if not with the disfigured carcass of my reaver?
Old 2013-05-17, 03:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Canaris
Contributor
General

well you know my stance on this already, I love debris in this game and how it works, I also like Brie

Just a small case in point from something that happened yesterday, my mates & I were slugging it up the cliff from the dry seabed on Indar towards a NC position at Abandon NS offices, the NC were on top of the hill spawning from a Sunderer.
I look up to see a Mossie do a loop de loop in the sky and rain down rocket pods on the Sunderer and the thing explodes just as I'm thinking "nice manuvere and kill" the flaming carcass of the Sundy comes tumbling towards us, I shouted "watch out" into my mic and ducked for cover in the water gulley on the hill and ducked down, the wreckage passes over me and my mate Hartman but creams 3 others in the squads.
My mate Hartman just says "heh that could have been us".
Welcome to Planetside

Now without flaming wrecks and debris we just wouldn't get these types of thrills and experiences that make this game what it is.
Debris needs to stay, server lag as seems to be your real problem needs to go, your hating on the wrong thing.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2013-05-17 at 03:18 AM.
Old 2013-05-17, 03:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Bigger Explosions, More Debris, More, Collateral Damage!

I want to see the earth get ripped up as debris smashes into it at unhealthy speeds and I want to be able to hide myself in these wrecked, flaming, and smoke filled craters as I charge across the frontline!

I particularly love in on Amerish when a aircraft of any kind gets destroyed and then as a Tanker I see that debris rolling down a mountain side, threatening to damage my Prowler or crush infantry that are unlucky enough to be caught under the wreck. Debris damaging or killing Players might be a nuisance but the threat of it is thrilling and adds a extra layer to the battle that I actually love, the thrill of running from a fireball that's rolling down a hill, it's amazingly hilarious!

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2013-05-17 at 03:32 AM.
Old 2013-05-17, 03:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

I'd even go as far as to say I want Debris to last longer on the field, Debris to be used as cover is exciting, but I remember when that was attempted during the Beta and was met with catastrophic results :/
Old 2013-05-17, 05:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
PredatorFour
Major

I hate debris too when flying my scythe, you kill a mossie/reaver then have to dance a second time to avoid catastrophe when their flaming hull hangs in the air blocking your way.

On the ground however i had one of my funniest moments involving debris. I was in a mag chasing a sundy and the pilot bailed just before it blew. I saw him, then proceeded to try and run him over in the mag. As he stood their motionless as i approached, i happened to ram his flaming sundies hull up into the air and it landed on him TK'ing him with his own sundy. I didn't get the kill but it was really funny
Old 2013-05-17, 05:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
Just a small case in point from something that happened yesterday, my mates & I were slugging it up the cliff from the dry seabed on Indar towards a NC position at Abandon NS offices, the NC were on top of the hill spawning from a Sunderer.
I look up to see a Mossie do a loop de loop in the sky and rain down rocket pods on the Sunderer and the thing explodes just as I'm thinking "nice manuvere and kill" the flaming carcass of the Sundy comes tumbling towards us, I shouted "watch out" into my mic and ducked for cover in the water gulley on the hill and ducked down, the wreckage passes over me and my mate Hartman but creams 3 others in the squads.
My mate Hartman just says "heh that could have been us".
Welcome to Planetside

Wish I had been there to see that

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-05-17 at 05:49 AM.
Old 2013-05-17, 06:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I love the debris mechanic as well. I also wish the burning chunks would stay around a bit longer for cover.
Old 2013-05-17, 06:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Shogun
Contributor
General

debris mechanics are ok!

i have not been killed by debris at all. maybe one or 2 times.

the only viable reason for removing debris would be the performance.

but keeping the debris (and therefore the impact on performance) but removing the collision would be totally counterproductive!

keep it as it is, or get rid of it completely to free performance. nothing in between!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-17, 07:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
RSphil
Contributor
Major

fine as it is. as long as they fall out of the sky as intended i love it. when you kill an air target turn away from it, dont try to fly through it. simple solution really. i agree though i with the burning wreck would stay around a little longer for cover but when you 4-5 tanks ect explode in front f you it might get a little clogged up.
Old 2013-05-17, 07:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Debris are alright. Except for debris kills should count as suicides, and not give someone credit for the kill. Especially it shouldn't be counted as Teamkilling.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-05-17, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Keep the debris but modify as Newsith has already stated.
Old 2013-05-17, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Roderick
Corporal

I like the debris in the game, but I too agree with the OP that it punishes the winner at times during air fights and turns a nice earned victory into a total waste of time. I can recall a few instances where an ESF player over Teamspeak would curse in the mic after dying from debris.

Debris on the ground has a benefit, but none of that is shared in air fights. Ground vehicles can use the debris from tank/ground vehicle remains as cover as too can a soldier on the field, but in the air, if you get the 1up on a player and blow him out of the sky, the debris may hit your ship for full on damage and awards the enemy with an unearned kill credit and leaving you with a lost airship and anger over the game mechanics. This I feel should change. I would like to see debris impact damage lessened somewhat. I feel if you collide into debris, you should take some form of damage, but not 100% damage.

This is a game, not real life. Every single coded mechanic in PlanetSide 2 does not need to cause a 100% damage results.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion