The Learning Curve. Not so few questions. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: against SOPA!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-11-15, 01:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
DaBigCheese
Private

The Learning Curve. Not so few questions.

I have been on it for a few days now. Something I learned from in the game, and something I don't understand that I would like to ask here.

Spawn points.
Why can't I spawn on a flashing grid to defend it ? Do I really have to flash it all the way from the warp gate or the nearest hot spot ?
Sundy cert. AMS 25 point is like the ability to make my own spawn point, right ? How do I deploy it ?

The cert is so very hard to come by, how do I get cert faster ? Do I have to stick around with the zerg capping empty grid after grid ?
With the cert so hard to come by, how did those fly boys got their hellfire rocket or other vehicles got thier AA weapon ? Alpha's Station cash ? Or because they've been playing for months ?

I can't dual-wield on MAX, but I saw others did. Am I missing something ?

Cloak glitch and jetpack glitch can be remedied by logging out, right ?

Got a few "stop working" happened. Anyone else got that ?

2 days till closing shop for the launch and there're still some patches. I'm walking into a glorified open beta, right ?

Maybe more later.
Old 2012-11-15, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Tenhi
Corporal

Re: The Learning Curve. Not so few questions.

Originally Posted by DaBigCheese View Post
I have been on it for a few days now. Something I learned from in the game, and something I don't understand that I would like to ask here.

1) Spawn points.
Why can't I spawn on a flashing grid to defend it ? Do I really have to flash it all the way from the warp gate or the nearest hot spot ?
2) Sundy cert. AMS 25 point is like the ability to make my own spawn point, right ? How do I deploy it ?

3) The cert is so very hard to come by, how do I get cert faster ? Do I have to stick around with the zerg capping empty grid after grid ?
3b) With the cert so hard to come by, how did those fly boys got their hellfire rocket or other vehicles got thier AA weapon ? Alpha's Station cash ? Or because they've been playing for months ?

4) I can't dual-wield on MAX, but I saw others did. Am I missing something ?

5) Cloak glitch and jetpack glitch can be remedied by logging out, right ?

6) Got a few "stop working" happened. Anyone else got that ?

7) 2 days till closing shop for the launch and there're still some patches. I'm walking into a glorified open beta, right ?

Maybe more later.
1.) Its flashing because its in the process of being capped right now. Either by your faction or by the enemies faction... so yeah if its still in the hands of your enemies you have no spawnroom there. If its your factions... dunno maybe you arent close enough to it? Your ability to deploy has some kind of range (that is sometimes broken... <_<).

2.) Yep 25 Certs for your own Spawnpoint. Should deploy with "B"...

3.) Fastest way to cert if you dont have a fully certed Lib/MTB is to zerg as Infantrie... but not running around capping emty grids. That gives you almost no Certs. If you want Certs zerg at largescale Inf-Battles.

3b.) 2 Weeks (?) ago SOE gave everyone ~3000 Certs because the Server had to rollback... so yeah everyone that had a Char at that time has all the nice stuff.

4.) You have to buy the 2nd Weapon for the MAX... kinda dumb but thats how it is. So if you want to wield the same weapon right/left you have to buy it for both hands (you start with Anti-Inf left and AA/AV right).

5.) Never had it myself but it seems like you have to relogg

6.) Yeah until one of the last hotfixes I crashed after ~1h. Now its fine... had no crash during my last sessions (2h+)

7.) I'm only in the beta for 2 weeks now but its getting better and better... so yeah I think it will be fine. Then again I guess we will see tons of patches after the launch
Old 2012-11-15, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
DaBigCheese
Private

Thank you for your answers

1. I meant defending a grid of my own faction. The spawn room should still be available since it hasn't flipped yet, but if I were somewhere else far away I couldn't spawn there, unless I rode a flash there, got shotgunned in the face by a sneaky capper, then I could spawn from the spawn room of that facility. So maybe it's like you said that there are range involved... Kinda annoying when I was tired of marching with the zerg and wanted to contribute by going after lone cappers taking grids on the quiet other front. You know, fight lone wolf with lone wolf :P

3. I remember one time in a fight over the crown I flanked and gunned down a whole bunch of enemy defenders and got multiple certs, and the other times I lone capped grids I got nothin'. So I guess I should...
-Racking up kills all day long = Do not
-Capping grids without firing a shot = Do not
-Capping grids with intense firefights = Do
Well, fair enough. Guess staying alive in a big ops are more challenging and thus should be more rewarding.

3b. I only got the beta invite mail from SOE, didn't feel like asking around for keys, 6 days before beta closing day.

4. I looked around in cert page but couldn't find it. Please don't tell me it's in the cash shop...

6. Now that you mentioned it, after the hotfixes I didn't get anymore crash that I remember.

Now for some more...
-C4
Should I save up for C4, bloody 100 certs!, so I can sneak around an enemy line and blow up their tanks ?
Is C4 in this game as good as in BF3 ?
Do I have to restock it like other explosives ?
How many do I need to destroy a big tank ?

-Guns
I've just wasted 50 certs on a carbine that's exactly like the default one but only fire burst. LOL.
Is it the same for other 50-cert guns ? Same gun just different fire mode ?

-Medic/Engi
I bought a medic cert for some kinda regen, but couldn't find it in the loadout. How will I know it's working ?
Are there upgrade cert for engi repair tool ?

ฺ-Base facilities
What is SCU ?
Generators can only be destroyed by explosive ?

Guess it will be over tonight. Too bad RL got a firm grip on me for 2 whole days.

Last edited by DaBigCheese; 2012-11-15 at 10:00 PM.
Old 2012-11-15, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Tenhi
Corporal

Thank you for your answers

1. I meant defending a grid of my own faction. The spawn room should still be available since it hasn't flipped yet, but if I were somewhere else far away I couldn't spawn there, unless I rode a flash there, got shotgunned in the face by a sneaky capper, then I could spawn from the spawn room of that facility. So maybe it's like you said that there are range involved... Kinda annoying when I was tired of marching with the zerg and wanted to contribute by going after lone cappers taking grids on the quiet other front. You know, fight lone wolf with lone wolf :P

Yep if you are far away you cant spawn there. I dont know the actual range of the "deploy-ability" but its quite... wacky. Sometimes I can spawn at Sundis that are >5km away... sometimes I cant. <_<

3. I remember one time in a fight over the crown I flanked and gunned down a whole bunch of enemy defenders and got multiple certs, and the other times I lone capped grids I got nothin'. So I guess I should...
-Racking up kills all day long = Do not
-Capping grids without firing a shot = Do not
-Capping grids with intense firefights = Do
Well, fair enough. Guess staying alive in a big ops are more challenging and thus should be more rewarding.

Thats natural. Each kill gives you ~100XP... capping a small base gives you ~250XP and takes forever (capping large bases gives ~1000 XP). So yeah... going with the zerg capping large bases is the way to go. If you want to maximise the gain dont stay for the cap. It takes >10min and only gives you 1000XP... thats 10kills worth of XP for siting around 10min. So not worth it (even if the game is about caping territory and not about k/d. <_<).

3b. I only got the beta invite mail from SOE, didn't feel like asking around for keys, 6 days before beta closing day.

4. I looked around in cert page but couldn't find it. Please don't tell me it's in the cash shop...

Should be on the Cert page? Take for example the Chaingun for TR, or the Scattergun for NC. You should have one unlocked in the MAX Certs and one that you can unlock. The one that you can unlock is the 2nd hand. Then again MAX Weapons cost a shitton of Certs... 720 just so I can dualwield the Chaingun? Yeah right...

6. Now that you mentioned it, after the hotfixes I didn't get anymore crash that I remember.

Now for some more...
A) -C4
Should I save up for C4, bloody 100 certs!, so I can sneak around an enemy line and blow up their tanks ?
Is C4 in this game as good as in BF3 ?
Do I have to restock it like other explosives ?
How many do I need to destroy a big tank ?

B) -Guns
I've just wasted 50 certs on a carbine that's exactly like the default one but only fire burst. LOL.
Is it the same for other 50-cert guns ? Same gun just different fire mode ?

C) -Medic/Engi
I bought a medic cert for some kinda regen, but couldn't find it in the loadout. How will I know it's working ?
Are there upgrade cert for engi repair tool ?

Guess it will be over tonight. Too bad RL got a firm grip on me for 2 whole days.
A) Depends on your Class. As a Medic/Engi I would wait until you have the other more important stuff unlocked. As a Light Assault? I would go for it rather early. I never played BF3 so no idea... but its pretty good in PS2. Yep you have to restock it like grenades. So with the first 100 Certs you gain 1 C4 per restock. Not sure how many it takes to kill a MBT... but I guess 2 to the rear armor are enough?

B) Well the guns that say "XYZ Burst" are basically just normal guns with Burst Fire Mod. I unlocked the Equinox Burst for my Vanu Medic today and I find it pretty good. It FEELS like the accuracy is better at long range (compared to firing the standard gun in bursts). The thing is if you spamclick the Burst Mod it feels like it fires faster than the Auto Mod.

But to answer your question. Yes the 50 Cert Guns are just like the normal Gun only with Burst Mod o. (There is an Carbine that can switch between Single/Burst/Auto Fire... but thats 375 Certs <_<).

C) Well it depends on what reggen . If its Triage I have no clue how to check it... its just a passive. If its the Medics Ability you can see it in the Loadout. If you click the Ability it says Nano Regen II (or whatever its called).

Yep you can Cert the Engi Gun.

Last edited by Tenhi; 2012-11-15 at 10:16 PM.
Old 2012-11-16, 04:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sunrock
Major

RE: C4 as good as in BF3.
Almost BF3 C4 can destroy a tank with 1 charge... here you need 2. But you can drop 2 and blow up both at the same time.
Old 2012-11-16, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

How do you drop C4 ? After dropping, does the detonator auto-appear in your hand ? Press what to detonate ?
C4 seems like any easy way to be killed when I roll a max......I need to see how the other 1/2 lives & try C4.

Certs confuse me in certain applications. If I want to build a super-Sundy can I use blockade armor, & ammo refill, & repair vehicle ALL-at-the-same time ? (.....the base ammo silos repair & reload simultaneously)....a Sundy should be able to be certed to do the same - ideally with a Faster armor repair rate.

Or, do I have to pick and choose one from each area of upgrades ?....seems like a waste (or luxury) of certs to buy multiple upgrades - if you can only use 1 at a time....same issue/questions with building a super MBT....Max armor upgrades (can I have Flak armor & nano heal & anti small arms fire all active at the same time ?)....it's not clear to my little BB-head.

Last edited by Chaff; 2012-11-16 at 09:59 AM.
Old 2012-11-16, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Tenhi
Corporal

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post
1.) How do you drop C4 ? After dropping, does the detonator auto-appear in your hand ? Press what to detonate ?
C4 seems like any easy way to be killed when I roll a max......I need to see how the other 1/2 lives & try C4.

2.) Certs confuse me in certain applications. If I want to build a super-Sundy can I use blockade armor, & ammo refill, & repair vehicle ALL-at-the-same time ? (.....the base ammo silos repair & reload simultaneously)....a Sundy should be able to be certed to do the same - ideally with a Faster armor repair rate.

Or, do I have to pick and choose one from each area of upgrades ?....seems like a waste (or luxury) of certs to buy multiple upgrades - if you can only use 1 at a time....same issue/questions with building a super MBT....Max armor upgrades (can I have Flak armor & nano heal & anti small arms fire all active at the same time ?)....it's not clear to my little BB-head.
1) You start with the detonator in hand. You have to press the right mbtn to drop the C4. Left to detonate it afterwards.

2) Its only one from each category (One Performance, one Utility, one Defense). So you can have Ammo Refill OR Blockade Armor OR Auto Repair. Had to learn that the hard way after buying all 3 Suit Upgrades for my Medic

Its btw the same for all Classes/Vehicles. Only one upgrade per Slot. The latest patch atleast made the Slots a little bit more obvious. Its also only one typ of grenade... <_< So you can either have the Healing Grenade OR the HE Grenade as Medic
Old 2012-11-16, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

....as much as it makes me feel dense...I'm glad I asked. So, thanks for the clarification.
I feel sorry for all the non-Beta folk that will slow down their ability to buff-out their avatar because many are likely to make the same unfounded assumption(s).

(I was afraid I had wasted certs - at least EARLY in the game when certs are more crucial).

...speaking of dense....I dbl-click the Rt mbtn to drop 2 C4....and then 1 left-click to blowed dem both up ?

C4 seems OP..........ONE Light Assault with a little flying skill & C4 certs can pown Maxes, Sundy's, Armor,......

Hell, howza bout a Lib that drops C4 packlets ?......

Thanks again. I appreciate you cats who took the time to answer this stuff on this here thread.

...one more question. Post-Beta, only ONE Empire per account, right ? How many av's per account ? I hope it's at least 2 or 3.....so I can let the alt char's acquire certs offline....and then I can sort of Test-drive other Specialized Cert Trees before I decide what to branch into with my Primary.

I like the different Medical grenades.....seems like you can do a LOT of good from a safer distance or position. It's a very interesting area. After one purchases that entire cert tree, I wonder how big of a pile of dead friendlies one of these Med Uber-grenades will revive...

Last edited by Chaff; 2012-11-16 at 04:19 PM.
Old 2012-11-16, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Tenhi
Corporal

As much as it makes me feel dense...I'm glad I asked. So, thanks for the clarification.
I feel sorry for all the non-Beta folk that will slow down their ability to buff-out their avatar because many are likely to make the same unfounded assumption(s).

Yep that will happen and it will make many new Players unhappy...

(I was afraid I had wasted certs - at least EARLY in the game when certs are more crucial).

...speaking of dense....I dbl-click the Rt mbtn to drop 2 C4....and then 1 left-click to blowed dem both up ?

Yep.

C4 seems OP..........ONE Light Assault with a little flying skill & C4 certs can pown Maxes, Sundy's, Armor,......

A MBT with 2 Players inside can quite easily kill a lone LA. Same with the Sundy... hell even the MAX can instagib the LA pretty much. While C4 is powerful its not almighty.

Hell, howza bout a Lib that drops C4 packlets ?......

Zaph105 > C4

Thanks again. I appreciate you cats who took the time to answer this stuff on this here thread.

np

...one more question. Post-Beta, only ONE Empire per account, right ? How many av's per account ? I hope it's at least 2 or 3.....so I can let the alt char's acquire certs offline....and then I can sort of Test-drive other Specialized Cert Trees before I decide what to branch into with my Primary.

Not Sure about the one Empire thing. Right now you can have a Char for each Empire... and I dont think that will change (yay for Empire hoping ). Also its 3 Chars for non-premium accounts.

I like the different Medical grenades.....seems like you can do a LOT of good from a safer distance or position. It's a very interesting area. After one purchases that entire cert tree, I wonder how big of a pile of dead friendlies one of these Med Uber-grenades will revive...

You revive everyone thats in range. I tested it once and revived like 5-6 Players with one Grenade. The Nanite Healing Grenade is also quite nice. Its basically the Medics Ability as a Grenade. Only thing thats "bad" is that your Allies automatically run away if they see a grenade flying at them

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions