Jetpack idea - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Man a turret!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-07-21, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

which is supposedly being updated in the near future.
Old 2004-07-22, 12:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I wouldn't want something as significant as jetpacks to be a 1-shot use. Why not let people decide how many uses it has through fuel canisters carried in their backpack?

Furthermore, allowing anyone to use a jetpack along with HA weapons would suck. It would just make the kind of ejecting from an aircraft onto a tower shit that is so prevalent even more common. Why would anyone go through the front door if they could have a HA and everything and hop over the walls?

Thus I'd personally be more in favor of either only MA weapons being useable while with a jetpack, and of course pistols and other equipment. Regardless, jetpacks are something I think would be really great for PS, and I hope eventually it gets added (all the "omg this isn't Tribes 2" people need to go sit in the corner with the "omg this isn't Mechwarrior" jerkboats).
Old 2004-07-22, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
I Hate Pants
General

OH BOY! NC jackhammer whores avoiding long rang fire by simply jumping in the air (making it hard to shoot them) and then landing infornt of your face and filling your belly with lead.

No thanks! I hate having to deal with VS maxs as it is.

Plus as stated earlier. It makes defending a base harder and encourges gung ho tactics. Which we see enough of already with HA weapon users and reaver pilots.
Old 2004-07-22, 12:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

OH BOY! NC jackhammer whores avoiding long rang fire by simply jumping in the air (making it hard to shoot them) and then landing infornt of your face and filling your belly with lead.
Have a vulnerable period after they hit dirt (having a rocket strapped to your back go off would be disorienting as hell) and a short prep timer. Problem solved. They can jump right up to you and avoid the longe range fire, but they'll get there asses beat before they are able to fire a shot.
Old 2004-07-22, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Spee
Colonel

Originally Posted by Incompetent
Have a vulnerable period after they hit dirt (having a rocket strapped to your back go off would be disorienting as hell) and a short prep timer. Problem solved. They can jump right up to you and avoid the longe range fire, but they'll get there asses beat before they are able to fire a shot.

Really, that circumvents the whole defender issue, as well. make the person immobile, and unable to fire, for say, 5 seconds. Defense issue solved, jackhammer issue solved.
Old 2004-07-22, 01:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by I Hate Pants

No thanks! I hate having to deal with VS maxs as it is.

Plus as stated earlier. It makes defending a base harder and encourges gung ho tactics. Which we see enough of already with HA weapon users and reaver pilots.
It would be for moving vertically more than horizontally, so you couldn't say, jump across a CY and shoot some poor son of a bitch in the face before he saw you coming,

Possibly a cool down time too (kinda like that annoying animation when you drop from a galaxy, except it doesn't go to 3rd person view infront of you, because I fucking hate that.) after you hit the ground.

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-07-22, 01:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Indecisive
Major General

With some tweaking, yeah, it could work.

Maybe be like some sort of super jump. SUPER SHOES!

One time use shoes that let you have one super jump that you wouldnt be able to adjust your flight pattern once you launch.
Old 2004-07-22, 01:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Meursault00
Staff Sergeant

As a sniper, I hate them because that means more missed shots for me.

Also as a sniper, I like them because it means I can get into the trees for a better sniping position.
Old 2004-07-22, 01:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Create a new hybrid class of armor, the "airframe". It could behave a bit like an aircraft, in that flak and AA MAXes could do serious damage if caught. The airframe might be little more than a modified agile suit that accepts AV ammo-sized fuel canisters. One rifle slot and 2 to 3 pistol slots could round out the deal.

I don't know. I like the idea of a flying infantryman, but they may as well be treated like an aircraft. I also like an extended animation or some timesink that limits attacks upon landing.
Old 2004-07-22, 01:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

I like that idea, make it a seperate armor class for jump-troops, maybe give it the old rexo armor numbers, one rifle slot and an invo that resembles a standards stretched out to rexo length. Can't drive OR gun vehicles that aren't open-topped. Moves like a rexo (after all, i doubt the jetpack would be light.)

Last edited by Incompetent; 2004-07-22 at 01:44 AM.
Old 2004-07-22, 02:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Look heres the deal, even if they do change defense (unlikely) the galaxy already fills this role and mossy dropping whores are already prevalent enough, i could see this for infiltrators but thats about it.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2004-07-22, 02:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

It is extremely likely that they are changing defense, as they've stated the only reason they haven't changed the basses yet is that they don't want everyone to have to dl all the maps again, and they've changed the code so we don't have to. They've already stated that new caps/subcaps are on the way, new bases overall will probably follow and we can hope that they'll move them into better spots too.

The gal does a decent job, but it isn't really the same one, this would be for a much smaller scale and alot less of a hassle, letting troops (offense AND defense) exploit situations in real time instead of five minutes later. I hate mossy dropping whores as much as anyone, I see this as a counter, they are a pain in the ass because they can get places the rest of us can't, this would kill that advantage.

Last edited by Incompetent; 2004-07-22 at 03:00 AM.
Old 2004-07-22, 03:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Incomptetent it doesnt matter how much they change defense the primary strength of defenders is going to be physical denial, this is just one more fucking thing that just chips away at that, this doesnt reduce the viability of mossy dropping whores it just creates many many more of them.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2004-07-22, 03:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

Incomptetent it doesnt matter how much they change defense the primary strength of defenders is going to be physical denial, this is just one more fucking thing that just chips away at that, this doesnt reduce the viability of mossy dropping whores it just creates many many more of them.
Bullshit, if anything, it adds to it, my biggest with mossy jumpers is they get where defenders CAN'T without incredibly wasteful tactics (buying a reaver on to jump out of it three feet away a second later.) You can't deny anything if you can't even get there. This would let defenders counter those types of tactics and be VERY useful in counterattacks, but if your defending in depth, the relative advantages can be nullified to a large degree (jumping over the wall, alone, into a CY full of spitfires and mines will end badly the vast majority of the time, sure, you bypassed the wall, your still dead.) except when the offense uses, you know, teamwork.

edit: oh, and the inventory size/fuel canister sizes suggested earlier in the thread would prevent a jumper from carrying an AV sized weapon unless it was in holster, so a couple maxes could clean up in the CY. There only option would be the rocklet. Wouldn't be as much of a disadvantage to defenders trying to clean people off the roof because they can just go downstairs and rearm, but attackers would be forced to get back to friendly lines.

Last edited by Incompetent; 2004-07-22 at 04:09 AM.
Old 2004-07-22, 05:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
PhatBoy
Private

It would be good for agile, but to stop people from shooting and using it at the same time, maybe the controller for jetpack takes up one pistol holster, so you have to draw the controller, fly, then take out your weapon. Also, make fuel canisters big so they take up a lot of inventory space.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion