PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's so scary you'll pee your Max.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2013-02-26, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rickyrozay
Private

Getting new laptop, hows it gonna hold up.

Now I know this is frowned upon and I please just ask you to understand that I simply cannot have a desktop. I move around ALOT and I'm not carry my desktop on a plane. I wanted to get a real treat so I ended up customizing one on ibuypower.com because newegg doesn't have any processors i7 over 2.4.

Ibuypowers really sketchy about links to customs so here it is.

Valkyrie CZ-17 [2] Gaming Laptop 1 x Case ( Valkyrie CZ-17 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080 LED-Backlit Display Laptop w/HDMI Port, E-SATA, USB 3.0, Illuminated Keyboard, Li-Ion Battery, Universal AC Power Adapter - Original Metallic black )
1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7-3840QM Mobile Processor (4x 2.8GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )
1 x Memory ( 16GB [8GB x 2] 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM [Laptop Memory] - G.SKILL )
1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M 4GB GDDR5 Video w/ NVIDIA Optimus [CZ-17] )
1 x Free Stuff ( [FREE In-Game Voucher] - $150 Value In-Game Currencies: Hawken, Planetside 2, and World of Tanks ($50 for each title) - Free with purchase of NVIDIA GeForce GTX660 or above )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 60 GB Intel 330 SSD - Single Drive )
1 x Data Hard Drive ( 500 GB 7200rpm Serial-ATA Super Slim Laptop Hard Drive )
1 x Optical Drive ( 6X Blu-Ray-R/8x Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + 24x CD-R/RW Combo Drive [CZ-17] )
1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( Built-in 4-in-1 Media Card Reader/Writer [Laptop] )
1 x Sound Card ( HD Audio with THX TrueStudio Pro )
1 x Network Card ( Killer E2200 Gaming Networking )
1 x Internal Wireless Network Adapter ( 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Combo [CZ-17] )
1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )

$2,179.00 is the total. If yall see any improves or what might be better to upgrade than another such as ssd vs ram pls inform me
Old 2013-02-26, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: Getting new laptop, hows it gonna hold up.

I dono, what do you want us to say? The best gaming laptop'll you can really get work a little less well than a $1200 desktop?

CPU is pretty much everything - that's probably the killer here.
RAM over 8gb doesn't really matter in the game. SSDss help a good bit when you move around the continent/between them.
I'd go ahead and get win8 IMO. The only thing I've found not better, in 2 weeks usage is the start menu, and that's mostly the learning curve.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2013-02-26 at 12:55 PM.
Old 2013-02-26, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rickyrozay
Private

I guess what I'm trying to find out if the cpu and gpu are worth goin top end for if the ram isnt top end.
Old 2013-02-26, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Looking at the site, you're paying $200 for 100mhz and 2mb of cache. Doesn't scream worth it to me. You'll have to dig up benchmarks, if you can.

You're paying $270 for the 680m...but it's kepler instead of Fermi and has a lot more transistors. Might be worth it. Find some benchmarks.
Specific to PS2...I can't imagine it'll matter all that much. The actual graphics seem to be pretty easy to run.

More than 8gb, like I said won't make a difference in PS2. But it's $50 out of 2000+ to get the 16gb.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2013-02-26, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
therous
Private

your processor and gpu are almost top notch as far as laptops go. Rbstr is right as far as the ram goes though, 16 gigs is a little overkill, especially as far as lap tops are concerned. your lap top will have no problem playing planetside, probably even at ultra settings as i have seen people run medium on integrated graphics and the 680m only really has trouble with extremely tasking games such as the witcher 2, crysis 3 or metro 2033. if you are also going to play graphically demanding games such as that or you wish to get a little more longevity out of your system i would recommend putting in a little extra money and getting a 680MX SLI which has almost 600 more cuda cores which should give you a significant boost.

Last edited by therous; 2013-02-26 at 01:55 PM.
Old 2013-02-26, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
therous
Private

though fermi has more transistors kepler is more efficient in almost every field, higher performance and lower power consumption, noise and heat output.
Old 2013-02-26, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by therous View Post
though fermi has more transistors kepler is more efficient in almost every field, higher performance and lower power consumption, noise and heat output.
You've missunderstood: I'm pretty sure the 680m (kepler) has more transistors than the 675m (fermi). It's got a lot more stream processors.
That's because kepler is 28nm - it's more efficient and they fit in the thermal budget.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2013-02-26 at 02:21 PM.
Old 2013-02-26, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rickyrozay
Private

What company builds laptops with dual 680m sli, honestly ibuypower is the first one I came across with options as high performance as they are.
Old 2013-02-26, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rickyrozay
Private

Sweet jesus disreguard, I'm not made out of money double 680m's just aint gon happen
Old 2013-02-27, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ailos
Contributor
Major

A single 680M will be plenty powerful for you to run the game, on medium-high settings, with plenty of eye candy and not having to worry about any gpu-related slowdowns.

PS2 is much more limited by the CPU and the memory subsystem. You're better off trading the 16 GB of DDR3-1600 for 8 GB of DDR3-1866+. CPUs: any Ivy Bridge (3rd gen) Intel quad core with a base at 2.5 GHz will probably be OK for a laptop. With that in mind, I think you could probably save a couple dollars here and there by picking up less RAM and an i5 instead of an i7.

This laptop won't give you a constant 120 FPS in 3D Vision mode, but it should give you a consistent 30-60 FPS with rather high eye candy levels, and I think that's commendable for a laptop.

Oh and the 60 GB SSD: if you store any sizable amount of data or have lots of programs installed on your laptop, the boot drive won't make that much of a difference in your actual speed. For laptops, I personally recommend having at least a 160 GB SSD so that you can forego having a second drive altogether. Otherwise, you can probably uncheck that option, too, and just have the standard 500 gigs worth of platters.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-03-31, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
BossRigs
Private

Originally Posted by Rickyrozay View Post
Now I know this is frowned upon and I please just ask you to understand that I simply cannot have a desktop. I move around ALOT and I'm not carry my desktop on a plane. I wanted to get a real treat so I ended up customizing one on ibuypower.com because newegg doesn't have any processors i7 over 2.4.

Ibuypowers really sketchy about links to customs so here it is.

Valkyrie CZ-17 [2] Gaming Laptop 1 x Case ( Valkyrie CZ-17 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080 LED-Backlit Display Laptop w/HDMI Port, E-SATA, USB 3.0, Illuminated Keyboard, Li-Ion Battery, Universal AC Power Adapter - Original Metallic black )
1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7-3840QM Mobile Processor (4x 2.8GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )
1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M 4GB GDDR5 Video w/ NVIDIA Optimus [CZ-17] )
1 x Free Stuff ( [FREE In-Game Voucher] - $150 Value In-Game Currencies: Hawken, Planetside 2, and World of Tanks ($50 for each title) - Free with purchase of NVIDIA GeForce GTX660 or above )
1 x Optical Drive ( 6X Blu-Ray-R/8x Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + 24x CD-R/RW Combo Drive [CZ-17] )
1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( Built-in 4-in-1 Media Card Reader/Writer [Laptop] )
1 x Internal Wireless Network Adapter ( 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Combo [CZ-17] )
1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )

$2,179.00 is the total. If yall see any improves or what might be better to upgrade than another such as ssd vs ram pls inform me
Ewwww :/ iBuyPower

Support your fellow gamers next time go to BossRigs.com
Old 2013-06-29, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Traak
Colonel

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152395 2699 dollars

E-SATA, USB 3.0, Illuminated Keyboard, Li-Ion Battery, Universal AC Power Adapter - Original Metallic black )

1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7-3840QM Mobile Processor (4x 2.8GHz/8MB L3 Cache) ) Third Gen Intel

i7 4700MQ(2.40GHz) Fourth Gen Intel

32GB (8G*4) DDR3 1600MHz

GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

1 x Free Stuff ( [FREE In-Game Voucher] - $150 Value In-Game Currencies: Hawken, Planetside 2, and World of Tanks ($50 for each title)
PS2 is free for anyone.

Super RAID 2(128GB SSD*3

1TB HDD

Blue Ray Burner: I didn't find the speeds. But how man times a day are you going to be burning Blu-Rays?

?

dunno

DoubleShot Technology (Killer™ E2200 + Killer™ Wireless-N 1202

?

MSI stuff is in bold.

You can get an even faster model, with some extras
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152430 3999 dollars.

Anyway, that gives you some idea. I don't feel like researching if bluetooth comes with the killer gaming networks' card.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum