“Four!”
Or was it the sound?
“Three!”
Maybe it was the lack of it..
“Two!”
We knew what we were stepping into.
“One..”
But still..

The thought was quickly interrupted as well over a dozen drop pods crashed into the steel panes of the tower. As the shutters opened a terrifying sight met our eyes. Singed metal, destroyed emplacements, bullet holes scattered about like decorative paint.. “Alpha! Clear point! Bravo, sweep the pads! Charlie Secure secondary objective!” Just like that whatever fear gripped us was torn away. We’re soldiers, this is what we do.

“Tonley, get your head in the game! We’re up!” A swift jab to the head brought me to my senses before I quickly fell in line, the fleeting sight of the commander kicking a blueberry off the tower disappearing as we passed the corner. “Fuck off, three!” It felt wrong abandoning the rest of the platoon but orders were orders and we weren’t about to dispute them. As the sounds of gunfire and explosions below played in our ears we got into position on the rear of the tower. A second later and any noises of opposition were drowned out by the roaring of a dozen jetpacks.

It was all going according to plan. It was clear to me that my doubts were the products of a mind gripped by foolish fear. As the squad landed atop the two story building; Charlie lead quickly motioned for us to remain hidden behind the struts. “With any luck they’re ignorant to what we’re up to.” With that One gave us the go ahead. Three and myself got into position over the rear doors while the rest of the squad perched themselves on the edge. A pin was pulled and subtle streams of smoke began to rise before we leaned over and tossed them through the doors.

A torrent of smoke flooded the building as the rest of the eight soldiers in our squad turned on their optics and dropped below. A torrent of gun fire much akin to the one happening in the tower would greet our ears. It was a comforting sound that all Terran soldiers had grown to apprec- “Alpha and Bravo must be really tearing those rebels apart, eh Tonley?” Three would chuckle to himself as he continued to scan the area surrounding the tower. “So sure Three? Your brother was always a hothead.” Three just laughs again before gesturing towards the tower, “Hear that, Tonley? Not, a, noise!” He nods with a sudden sense of confidence. The opposite however was invoked in me. He was right.. There was no tearing of chainguns, chatter of orders or even the pain addled screams that they had come to expect from the New Conglomerate..
“Three.. Don’t you find it.. troubling that the commander hasn’t said anything about their success over the comms.” Three stared at me with a gaze I could only place as puzzling before replying, “It’s like you said, Tonley.. He’s always been a hothead.” There was no chuckle this time as he turned his head back towards the tower with an intent sense of purpose.

The radio chatter would abruptly return as Charlie Lead spoke in a frantic tone, “They’ve got reinforcements! APC, two hundred meters out! Seven, eight! Get rockets on that vehicle. Nine, ten, left door! Eleven, Twelve, Right door! Tonley, Three! Get off the fucking roo-“ A thunderous roar would erupt from below as the building shook. Myself and Three giving each other a whimsical glance before peering over the struts towards the west. “My god..”

There wasn’t just an armored troop carrier there was a whole bloody platoon of armor turning the bend of the canyons. “Tonley, you heard ‘im, we’ve got to get off the roof!” As if he needed to remind me I turned my head to retort before pausing. Was there something on my mind I couldn’t quite find? Or was it the bullet lodged so far in my neck it paralyzed me? One way or another, I was off the roof. I must have blacked out because the next thing I can recall is being propped against one of the many lab devices in the room surrounded by a flurry of gun fire and yelling.

“Lead’s down, I repeat lead’s down- Christ Three they’ve all been wiped out! Alpha and bravo aren’t coming to support us!” The only reply I could make out to the statement was that sweet soothing sound we’e all grown so familliar with. “Shut it Five! Focus fire on those suits damnit! Focus fir- Fuck!” Three would collapse to the ground holding his shoulder as he caught a bullet. The man I was proud to call a friend would back pedal his way out of the lien of fire and into my position as he reached up for his comms once more, “Damnit Guss! Where the hell are you! We’ve been in worse scrapes than this don’t you dare die on me now! I’m down to seve-“ He watched with a pain soaked grimace as another of them caught a round of gauss to their skull, “-Six men! Damnit Commander where the fuck are you!”

Was this what it felt like to die?
“Five!”
It was a strange feeling..
“Four!”
Or was it the sound?
“Three!”
Maybe it was the lack of it..
“Two!”
We knew what we were stepping into.

“Commander where the Fu-Ah!” Just like that Three bought it but not before spraying several rounds of his carbine into the perpetrator. He always said he’d kill the bastard who killed him. A stupid smile parted my lips as I began laughing. Whatever blueberries had overlooked me were certainly well aware of my pressence now. “I guess I owe him that hundred after all..” As I lifted my gaze and stared into the mask of my killer I couldn’t help but smile more..

“One..”

But still..

Last edited by KesTro; 2014-07-11 at 08:15 PM.
Old 2013-09-19, 04:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

Re: Tales From Connery

Reserved

Last edited by KesTro; 2013-09-19 at 10:25 AM.
Old 2013-09-19, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

Reserved
Old 2013-09-19, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

So this happened out of the blue. I'm going to be writing a three part story based on events that took place on the Connery server. The first being from the perspective of the TR, the second the NC and the third the VS. If you guys liked this one then I will post the second two and possibly more depending on the feed back. Enjoy the read and hope to see you on the battlefield gentleman!
Old 2013-09-20, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Thanks Kestro...keep'em coming!

Old 2013-09-24, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sonny
Contributor
First Sergeant

That was very well written Kestro, exciting stuff

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide 2 Media > Fan Fiction