Custom (Outfit) Decals Pre-load? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: When damaged, it may be repaired with a Nano-Despenser.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-23, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Custom (Outfit) Decals Pre-load?

What about this feature? Pretty much like Blizzard did with their Diablo 3 banners...

When the OBT (or the release) is close, I'd like an option to pre-load a personal decal bound to your account, that can later be used as an outfit decal. This way you can have a good variety of decals checked by SOE and delivered to the server when shit gets real. It can save some time and effort for devs, so they can concentrate more on the gameplay fixes instead of dicks disapproval.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-05-23, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
That one noob
Sergeant

Re: Custom (Outfit) Decals Pre-load?

This can work only if there is a limited amount of time this option is available before submissions can end, otherwise they're going to be spending shit loads of time going through pictures and filtering out the filth. No deadline=No end to the spam of dicks.
Old 2012-05-23, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

A reasonable request. PS1 had a set of decals for an outfit to choose a sigil from.
Vehicles already cater to this idea so the trooper gear will probably have its own level of customisation.

#edit#
Do you mean upload your own image to be checked by the devs?
Or pick from a sizable database provided and selected by the devs and whatever suggestion box they look at? (more options usually results in lower detail, though the Diablo 3 banners would be a fantastic system to emulate, many simple components coming together into a #mostly# unique emblem)

Personal uploads I can't see happening, due to copywrite laws and the hastle of manually checking a few hundred thousand images. ATB online allowed it but the game was crap and the setting more gangland so the system will be forgotten for a few years before someone else tries again.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-05-23 at 07:12 PM.
Old 2012-05-23, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

TERA has a system where you can upload a picture to display next to your guild name...but displaying decals on vehicles could be a bit more tricky.
Old 2012-05-23, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Algo
Corporal

Eve online has been doing custom alliance logos for years (iirc thay also show on ships), it has tight requirements though (minimum number of people and 6+ months in existence, on top of exact technical specs) and alliances in eve are way fewer than outfits will be. edit:they're still manually approved at the end of the process.

I guess if you make it a fee service, and with some nasty punishment in case you submit something not in the theme of the game (cocks, copyrighted logos/material, political, etc) it could weed out a good number of cocks before they're submitted?

Last edited by Algo; 2012-05-23 at 07:30 PM.
Old 2012-05-23, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Algo View Post
I guess if you make it a fee service, and with some nasty punishment in case you submit something not in the theme of the game (cocks, copyrighted logos/material, political, etc) it could weed out a good number of cocks before they're submitted?
There will still be cocks ingame, they'll just be incognito without decals.
Old 2012-05-23, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

If I was SOE I would charge 20$ to put an outfits insignia into the game.
Old 2012-05-23, 10:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by captainkapautz View Post
There will still be cocks ingame, they'll just be incognito without decals.
This. SOE should remove inappropriate images as they see them but they should not lock down otherwise good features over it.
Old 2012-05-24, 12:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Algo View Post
Eve online has been doing custom alliance logos for years (iirc thay also show on ships), it has tight requirements though (minimum number of people and 6+ months in existence, on top of exact technical specs) and alliances in eve are way fewer than outfits will be. edit:they're still manually approved at the end of the process.

yea, games like WOT, aion and TERA all allow custom decals, and its not hard to get them onto a vehicle if they're in the right format with transparency...well you can put them on without transparency...they will just look terrible,

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-24, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Yeah just make it a cash shop feature. If it takes extra work, make it help fund the game in the process.

It will tend to be more popular for outfits, since one payment could pay for the entire outfit being supplied with the logo, but I'm hoping for the option of personal decals as well. More money for SOE, more customization for the fans. Win win, as long as everything gets properly filtered for content.
Old 2012-05-24, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
LightningDriver
Corporal

Do you guys remember the game Spore, where you could create your own creature? If your game was linked up to the internet, you could get random user created creature into your game. The problem was, 9 out of 10 user creations were giant penis-people.

The end result of user generated content is always a penis.
Old 2012-05-24, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
SixShooter
Captain

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Yeah just make it a cash shop feature. If it takes extra work, make it help fund the game in the process.

It will tend to be more popular for outfits, since one payment could pay for the entire outfit being supplied with the logo, but I'm hoping for the option of personal decals as well. More money for SOE, more customization for the fans. Win win, as long as everything gets properly filtered for content.
I really like the idea of making it a cash shop feature (non refundable for people who submit cocks or other crap and get denied). Custom outfit logo's/decals on vehicles would be great but I don't really see much use for a personal decal since it would end up being quite small and no one would really see it. Not against the idea at all but just don't see the use.

Edit** If personal decals bring in more money to support the game then it can't be a bad thing.

Last edited by SixShooter; 2012-05-24 at 10:57 AM.
Old 2012-05-24, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Uploading outfit insignias would be a massive cash cow for SOE, it would be silly for them to not try and incorporate it in some way - even if it is post-release.
Old 2012-05-24, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
I really like the idea of making it a cash shop feature (non refundable for people who submit cocks or other crap and get denied). Custom outfit logo's/decals on vehicles would be great but I don't really see much use for a personal decal since it would end up being quite small and no one would really see it. Not against the idea at all but just don't see the use.

Edit** If personal decals bring in more money to support the game then it can't be a bad thing.
This.

There will be plenty of items for you to customize your personal armor appearance with. Including the Loverator. Custom outfit logos are pretty much a must for PS2, too, but it has to be done right. That translates to added cost, so why not turn it into a profit? $20 non-refundable submission fee in the cash shop. Then again, I still think that even the outfit charter - the ability to create an outfit - should be a cash-shop item, too.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-05-24, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I too, support custom insignia.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion