GO meet the attack or Turtle? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: No forks allowed! Only Spoons!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-01-28, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

GO meet the attack or Turtle?

Author Topic: What Incentive is There for Defenders to Leave Facilities?
CharlieDickens
Station Member
Registered: Nov 2002 posted 01-28-2003 02:59 PM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm trying to get my mind around a gameplay aspect of PS that doesn't make sense to me. Bear with me here and I'll see if I can explain it.
Why would defenders ever leave the safety of their facilities and expose themselves to air/ground vehicle fire? Why wouldn't they "horde" inside facilities to stop hackers, and won't they stay in the extra cover and safety of facilities when moving outside exposes them to danger?

I guess what I'm saying here is I don't really see much potential in PS for vehicle vs vehicle combat because what incentive would there be for a defender to go out in a vehicle? You're leaving your base exposed and you are so much more vulnerable as a target.

This in turn makes you wonder what vehicles are going to do in the game other than transport players to the fight.

Thoughts?

Wadda you think? Heres What SJ thinks.

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 01-28-2003 03:28 PM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Respectfully...I hope you try it when I'm the attacking Commander.
If you let me get into your courtyard without stopping me, I will hack open your doors and lob tank shells into the front rooms. When you've been driven/killed out of those rooms, I'll begin a systematic assault, starting by sending in infantry-supported MAXs through one entrance, stealth hackers through another, and a paratroop attack through the roof. Eventually, I'll blow your gen or hack your facility and you'll have nowhere to respawn.

On the other hand, I could just ignore your base entirely and go capture everything around you before coming back to take you apart. That way, by the time I blow your spawn tubes, you won't even be able to respawn on the same continent.

This is all hypothetical actually. But there are a LOT of ways to crack a base in this game. Defenders will need to be very flexible and a pure "turtle" defense probably won't be very successful against competent commanders.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/001965.html
Old 2003-01-28, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

"and a paratroop attack through the roof"

HFS!!!!

I've been asking about that for months. I've wanted to do that from the very beginning!!!! I love SJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-01-28, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
ABRAXAAS
Lieutenant Colonel

heres the answer to why people will leave the base .............EHEM!.......IT WILL BE BORING AND YOU"LL NEVER GET TO SEE ANYTHING IN THE GAME !!..........thankyou
Old 2003-01-28, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
�io
Lieutenant General

Originally posted by ABRAXAAS
heres the answer to why people will leave the base .............EHEM!.......IT WILL BE BORING AND YOU"LL NEVER GET TO SEE ANYTHING IN THE GAME !!..........thankyou
Old 2003-01-28, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Half the reason I want to get in the beta is to get pwned by the developers. Ok, not half, but that is a helluva edge come release.
Old 2003-01-28, 11:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
FraBaktos
First Sergeant

I think I would use the vehicles for defending... if you are all packed into the base then you can't use the vehicles which have more firepower and defense than infantry. The vehicles could be used for a more effective defense.
Old 2003-01-29, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

Roving gunship squads would help defense.
Old 2003-01-29, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

I remember someone more important than me as far as this game goes, saying that there would definately be a set of squads/platoon of guys who's whole job is to defend bases and respond when they are hacked. THat is awesome. I really hope the teamwork aspect of this game plays out.

Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-01-29, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
txMaddog
Corporal

What SJ said.

If you 'Turtle' you give the attacker the initative, mobility and a safe haven. You also lose situational awareness and mobility (the ability to respond).

My idea for Defense would be a layered defense with a mobile reserve to plug breeches and counter-attack plus an AMS hunter/killer component.

West Coast Planetside Server
"If it's not Flashy and in High Style then what's the point?!?!" - B.D.N.
Old 2003-01-30, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
FraBaktos
First Sergeant

If you all packed inside the base, it would give them a chance to call in additional forces with no opposition, AND they could set up AMS's and be able to keep respawning. There is NO way the person inside could succeed. They could hold out for awhile but could never eliminate the opposition
Old 2003-01-30, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

If I was putting together a defense for a base, I would probably leave two maxes with darklight vision to patrol the interior and everyone else outside watching the horizon. But that sounds boring. What I would do instead is put a bunch of people in a Galaxy and fly to a base that has just been hacked away. You get CEP for taking the base back, the only standing around is during staging at the pickup zone, and you can defend a whole group of bases. You probably don't get much reward for patrolling the interior of objective #317.
Old 2003-01-30, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

I want to play SJ and force him to use the god mode command. You know he has one.
Old 2003-01-31, 03:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
PanzerJudge
Private

Talking Now this is how you defend a base and a island

To all you people,

I would set up a Advanced Mobile Station aka AMS right outside of my most important facilities. I would also have a about 2 to 3 squads of Basilisk and Wraiths doing routine patrols of my island. When I spot those SOB's trying to attack or the SOB's on route to attack I would fly a squadrin of Reavers to rip the bejesus out of those poor fools who came on my island. If that was not doing the trick than I would follow up with oh about 4 Galaxys each loaded with a mixed group of heavy armour infantry, anti-tank infantry and it would also drop off four Lightnings (light 75mm tanks). Which with air support should be able to reapel most attacks or atleast weaken them to a point were they would become completly inefective. As far as the base goes I would MAX suits inside equipt with anit-personel, I would have a few MAX suits outside equipt with both anti-vehicle and anti-air. I would also have maybe 1 Vangaurd tank sitting outside with the driver not to far away or I would have a few Lightnings. So pretty much the sucka fool who attepts to meander his dumbass into my territory will be in a world of hurt, lets just say the comander wouldn't be getting very good reviews.

-The Judge

Freedom, Liberty, and life without oppresion forever!!!!

[Rough Rider Forever]

NC Forever. "May the other two rest in pieces."
Old 2003-01-31, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

Me likey

Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-01-31, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
PanzerJudge
Private

Thanks

Hey if you NC and you need an outfit, which it looks like you don't, or if you know someone loking for one then send them to this forum page,

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...=20&LastLogin=

Its the NC forum at Planetside.com tell them to go to the topic about the Rough Riders outfit, me and RRComander are the leaders and he is just as good of a tactician as I am so yeah. Just send anyone intrested in NC outfits there we will be recruiting.

-The Judge

Freedom, Liberty, and life without oppresion forever!!!!

[Rough Rider Forever]

NC Forever. "May the other two rest in pieces."
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion