Release Date, your opinion. - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What's this... "PlanetSide"... you speak of?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: When will Planetside 2 release.
q3 2012 30 9.52%
q4 2012 141 44.76%
q1 2013 64 20.32%
q2 2013 39 12.38%
q3 2013 9 2.86%
q4 2013 6 1.90%
2014 26 8.25%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-22, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Release Date, your opinion.

Now we just need to figure out who in this thread is a secret SOE employee account who spilled the beans anonymously.

Assuming that happened, which I always do.
Old 2012-05-22, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

SOE might not even have a date set. Before Beta begins how can they be sure it will live up to the quality standards by the time that date rolls around?

I would guess Q1 2013. Beta will start this year I think, maybe in a few months but I can't imagine the game out before this year is over. They need a long beta period to test the game and get it ready. And beta hasn't even started and likely won't for a month or 2 still.

Even if they announce beta at E3 it wont be them opening the gates, just an announcement. Looking at the TB footage there is no way the beta will begin in the first half of June.
Old 2012-05-22, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
I'm a developer for the worlds largest advertising agency. So I have some insight to development timelines and Marketing strategies
You mentions sales. I was told that PS2 will be f2p and free to download, if that is true why would they release a retail version?
Old 2012-05-22, 09:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Wanderer
Private

I would love to see it this year, but it makes more sense to push it to 2013 to escape the crazy of Q4 competition. WOuld like to see it before the 10th anniversary, and then they organise something in game for that, rather than release on that date.
Old 2012-05-22, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Shkrla
Private

I voted 2014. This game is great, but I think they're gonna want it perfect before release. Also, don't you think we'd all rather a poll on the beta release date?
Old 2012-05-23, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Sirisian
Colonel

I didn't reply when I voted earlier, but I'm surprised with the poll results. People are extremely optimistic. For the release date I said Q4 2013 since that's the general impression I'm getting from the gameplay videos we've been seeing and the progress in the development. The amount of art, content overall, and polish left looks like it'll take another year. Not to mention the time for iteration and feedback before even letting us try things. I really feel like SOE wants this to do the right thing and go for a near perfect beta. Not a "oh you found a bug we knew about before we launched the beta" beta. They seem to be committed to an awesome launch where they use beta to simply test hardware compatibility and tweak balancing from some outside feedback.

I feel like the people hoping for Q4 2012 are putting undue pressure on SOE. It's the same thing I said last year in this poll when people were hoping for a 2012 Q1 launch. Really need to give them the time so they really tweak and change things. They've already shown us they are perfectly find ripping out models and redoing them. Hoping to see that kind of attitude going forward as they polish things and remove any complaints players might have. Would really like to see this game launch with no complaints from any faction.
Old 2012-05-23, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Artimus
Master Sergeant

So if I get this straight by the time we play beta the game will be near if not completed.. Thats fine with me it will be more beneficial at launch
Old 2012-05-23, 05:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

As always more information and in this case video will now allow more reasoning but not yet enough information to base a good prediction on.

Personally after TB's video i have revised my expectations to

Beta: September 2012
Open Beat: December 2012/January2013
Release: April/May 2013 (with 3 continents)

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-05-23, 05:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
Personally after TB's video i have revised my expectations to

Beta: September 2012
Open Beat: December 2012/January2013
Release: April/May 2013 (with 3 continents)
But September is not "soon"... not at all. It would be quite weird if they didn't announce beta at E3 or short after. Really... otherwise PC Gamer Keys in April (or when was it?) were heavy trolling
Old 2012-05-23, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Lorgarn
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by MacXXcaM View Post
But September is not "soon"... not at all. It would be quite weird if they didn't announce beta at E3 or short after. Really... otherwise PC Gamer Keys in April (or when was it?) were heavy trolling
A developers definition of "Soon" might be distorted thanks to them being in contact with the game on a regular basis. It's a major part of their life. Top that off with the market being as unpredictable and volatile as it is, you shouldn't rarely take their "Soon" too seriously.

Although I'm curious as to what their gameplay with the PCG April keys were..

Bah, I give up. It's impossible trying to "decipher" a developers plans without having the clues and information necessary to make a final or even worthwhile conclusion. Guesswork is just that, it's confusing, unreliable and makes one go crazy trying to make sense of it all.

(And yet I'm here guessing as much as the next guy. I just hate when things doesn't make sense from an outsiders point of view. It rarely does though..)
Old 2012-05-23, 06:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Graywolves
General

My birthday is in September...

I haven't had a decent birthday for years...

Beta now. Release September
Old 2012-05-23, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
brickbuster
Private

If you ask when it will be ready, I would say by Quarter 1 2013, but I think they'll probably try a summer release

Edit: I see people talking about Beta, and I believe that the closed Beta is coming very soon. Higby has hinted at it on multiple occassions, Maggie had those Betta Fish, and the PCGamer thing was back in March. All signs point to either the closed beta coming soon, or SOE being a bunch of trolls. I sincerely hope that it is the former.

Last edited by brickbuster; 2012-05-23 at 04:31 PM.
Old 2012-05-23, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
MgFalcon
Captain

I haven't done a good amount of speculating in a while so here it goes:

Game Informer says (in it's most recent issue) that release date is 2012 (least informed source of any gaming magazine (IMHO) especially if GameStop will make no money from sales of PS2), PC Gamer says 2013, TB is a wild card and is like "OMG PS2!!" and from what there have been hints about on Twitter [Redacted] ('twas and example) I can safely assume that at E3 there will be a REAL trailer/cinematic and not a teaser. As RadarX states "Every awesome game needs an awesome trailer. PlanetSide 2 will be an awesome game."

So just saying - E3 will be a fun week for all of us, just buckle down - grab a six-pack, and enjoy the ride!
Old 2012-05-23, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Would not be surprised to see it in 2014. At a minimum Q4 2013 which allows them two E3's to get the message out.
Just seems like little drip feeds are designed to keep us hanging on as long as possible.
Building a bigger fan base before its released.
Testing the waters with having TB release videos and get him back in a year to see how things have progressed.
Then start bringing in the gaming publications to ramp up the promotion.

They seem to be putting in extra long hours atm for E3 so I expect its going to be a show stopper. Then next years E3 will be even bigger when they've finished the details on micro-transactions.

Other side of the fence, what would be a nice surprise, Q4 2012 for a xmas release! (Please!!)
Old 2012-05-24, 05:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Dogbolta View Post
Would not be surprised to see it in 2014. At a minimum Q4 2013 which allows them two E3's to get the message out.
Just seems like little drip feeds are designed to keep us hanging on as long as possible.
Building a bigger fan base before its released.
Testing the waters with having TB release videos and get him back in a year to see how things have progressed.
Then start bringing in the gaming publications to ramp up the promotion.

They seem to be putting in extra long hours atm for E3 so I expect its going to be a show stopper. Then next years E3 will be even bigger when they've finished the details on micro-transactions.

Other side of the fence, what would be a nice surprise, Q4 2012 for a xmas release! (Please!!)
I would be okay with a 2014 release so long as beta started before/early in 2013. If it's progressed as far as it currently has by now, it should be somewhat playable by 2013, and I wouldn't have any problem with them taking a long time during beta to make sure shit is done properly and to give themselves extra time to develop the other continents, add content, etc.

But if I can't try/help beta test the game until 2014 or shortly before, I'm going to go crazy.

Also, I doubt beta would be too far away. They keep saying soon. I don't think that anybody would say "soon" if they meant "more than a year away." Unless the devs are totally evil, which I suppose is possible
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion