Self Deconstructing Vehicles - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Making thousands of fans cry every day.....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should vehicles deconstruct..
a few minutes after exiting the vehicle 5 4.31%
hours after exiting the vehicle 26 22.41%
never 17 14.66%
until a player enters a new vehicle 48 41.38%
when the player chooses to 20 17.24%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-04-22, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Re: Self Deconstructing Vehicles

I'm happy with one vehicle per player. I shouldn't be able to spawn a bunch on mags and crowd them on the backdoor of the base.
Old 2012-04-22, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
I'm happy with one vehicle per player. I shouldn't be able to spawn a bunch on mags and crowd them on the backdoor of the base.
agreed but everyone is kinda losing focus about the original topic. this isn't about how many vehicles you can pull (as I mentioned earlier you should only be able to have one) instead this is about how soon your vehicle deconstructs after exiting.
Old 2012-04-22, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
agreed but everyone is kinda losing focus about the original topic. this isn't about how many vehicles you can pull (as I mentioned earlier you should only be able to have one) instead this is about how soon your vehicle deconstructs after exiting.
Which would mean it would stay active until I spawn another vehicle, disconnect, or leave the continent.

However it isn't that big of a deal to me. If it gets in the way of performance and can be abused it should be tossed out for time based despawns.
Old 2012-04-22, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
Which would mean it would stay active until I spawn another vehicle, disconnect, or leave the continent.

However it isn't that big of a deal to me. If it gets in the way of performance and can be abused it should be tossed out for time based despawns.
agreed
Old 2012-04-22, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Xyntech
Brigadier General

It's still pretty on topic based on the poll options.

One poll option is "never," implying that a vehicle wouldn't auto deconstruct even if you pulled a new vehicle. Another option is "until the player enters a new vehicle," which I find a bit of a misnomer, since entering as a passenger of a galaxy shouldn't remove ownership of your own vehicle, but wording aside let's just take it to mean that pulling a new vehicle would allow your old vehicle to auto deconstruct.

I am of the opinion that it should never deconstruct. It could still cause clutter, but it is limited to one vehicle per person. If that person logs out, the vehicle is treated as if it has no owner and will auto deconstruct after the allotted time. But as long as a character is logged in and hasn't pulled another vehicle, they should get to keep their vehicle no matter how long they are away for it.

As for how long a vehicle can have no owner without deconstructing, I don't know. It doesn't matter to me very much. Maybe 5 minutes maximum, but much shorter if the server load is high in the area.
Old 2012-04-22, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

Vehicles should disappear:

After logging off.
~15 mins after not being used.
After a player spawns a new vehicle.
At the deconstruction command from the player.
Old 2012-04-22, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by Tamas View Post
Vehicles should disappear:

After logging off.
~15 mins after not being used.
After a player spawns a new vehicle.
At the deconstruction command from the player.
Agreed

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
It's still pretty on topic based on the poll options.

One poll option is "never," implying that a vehicle wouldn't auto deconstruct even if you pulled a new vehicle.
If you look in my original post you will find details about what this means, ill post it here for reference.
Yes this option is giving you the choice to never have your vehicle self deconstruct unless it is destroyed. As far as if the server could handle that is another story. By never I would say until you logout/change continents/ect something along those lines, already apologized for not being specific, just wanted some general options. As I told you before, I wanted to give everyone the right to vote for what they wanted, regardless of if I wanted that or it was possible.

Another option is "until the player enters a new vehicle," which I find a bit of a misnomer, since entering as a passenger of a galaxy shouldn't remove ownership of your own vehicle, but wording aside let's just take it to mean that pulling a new vehicle would allow your old vehicle to auto deconstruct.
Ummm...? no wording aside, it means exactly what I said. If you enter a galaxy, or gun someones tank, your vehicle is no longer needed and it should deconstruct. This will save server space as well. It doesnt matter if you pull your own vehicle or enter someone else's, by doing this you are stating you no longer require your vehicle.

I am of the opinion that it should never deconstruct. It could still cause clutter, but it is limited to one vehicle per person. If that person logs out, the vehicle is treated as if it has no owner and will auto deconstruct after the allotted time. But as long as a character is logged in and hasn't pulled another vehicle, they should get to keep their vehicle no matter how long they are away for it.
exactly, except i added that entering ANY vehicle deconstructs a vehicle you currently have. Reason being is to save server space, if the game has enough room to allow someone to leave their tank somewhere and jump in a gal or gun for someone, that is fine. But since it seems that server space is an issue, I decided that this wasn't as important. The main idea is as long as you have your vehicle and don't enter another one, yours shouldnt self deconstruct.

As for how long a vehicle can have no owner without deconstructing, I don't know. It doesn't matter to me very much. Maybe 5 minutes maximum, but much shorter if the server load is high in the area.
yea I agree

Last edited by The Kush; 2012-04-22 at 03:08 PM.
Old 2012-04-22, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
CTheRain
Corporal

Planetside 2: Parking Lot the game.
Old 2012-04-22, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

15 minutes after the owner leaves the area and does not return.

It will not self deconstruct if another player is using it, which bumps the timer to 5 minutes after his exit.
Old 2012-04-22, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Keep the original concept.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-04-22, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
Keep the original concept.
I assume by original concept you are referencing to planetside 1? I agree if so, but currently at least alpha footage shows vehicles deconstructing rather quickly upon exit
Old 2012-04-22, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

I assume by original concept you are referencing to planetside 1? I agree if so, but currently at least alpha footage shows vehicles deconstructing rather quickly upon exit
I think it can be safely assumed that it is that way for alpha testing. I don't think the devs have anything concrete down for how empty vehicles behave in terms of physics or ownership.

I think this issue will crop up again with beta and we will be able to have a much more appropriate grasp on what can be done with them.
Old 2012-04-22, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Mechzz
Major

I don't recall that? In fact, Higby spawns at the Gal and runs past his Vanguard quite a few times in the courtryard section.
Old 2012-04-22, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

I'd prefer that vehicles stay until you log out or buy another one. If that isn't possible, then maybe a proximity solution would work -- that way your vehicle would stay while you were capping a base or defending a bridge or tower, but if you got really far away it would despawn.
Old 2012-04-22, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

yeh pside1 style because........... it works.

Aside from an ams that has lost its owner i seem to recall that pside vehicles would stick around for hours provided you hadn't spawned another

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.

Last edited by Mastachief; 2012-04-22 at 07:33 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion