NC tank screenshots - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's not personal, Firefly hates everyone.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-01-23, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Westy543
Private

Re: NC tank screenshots

Originally Posted by CGar View Post
Not too bad, it's a bit underwhelming, but not terrible by any means. Poly count seems fairly low, and the textures leave something to be desired, but then again it's pretty much staticly lit, so we don't know what kind of shaders or maps are going to be applied to it. However if Planetside is going to retain it's epic battlescale, they can't crank up the details too much. I always thought the models in Planetside were pretty good for its time, but it was the world and the bases that needed work.
I guess, makes sense. I just hope the TR and VS ones are spectacular, the Magrider 2.0 better be a show pony.
Old 2011-01-23, 07:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
EVILoHOMER
Major

I loved Planetside more than anyone from beta up to the shitty expansion of Core Combat that made my Outfit fall apart. However I can't love something that looks as dated as that, judging that pic they're gonna use the same engine because it barely looks any better. Really that is why Planetside fails to draw people in anymore because it looks so dated and the shooting feels pretty bad compared to modern FPS.

SOE ruined Everquest, launched Everquest 2 that sucked and didn't even feel like Everquest. They ruined SWG with the NGE and the CU and ruined Planetside with CC and BFRs, then they left it to die. DC Universe Online is another failure of an MMO from them that is so shallow and boring.

Really what have they done of any impact since 2003? They bought a few crappy MMOs like Vanguard and PoTBS and released a couple of casual kids MMOs like Freerealms and The Clone Wars.

Like after seeing that pic am I meant to have faith in SOE again for all the disappointment they've given me over the years? I showed that pic to my mate who I played Planetside with back in 2003 and he said it's dated and he'll pass. Which was my reaction at first, I was hoping for something better than based on the same engine lol.

Just gotta hope that pic is a bad one.
Old 2011-01-23, 07:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
EVILoHOMER
Major

Originally Posted by Westy543 View Post
I guess, makes sense. I just hope the TR and VS ones are spectacular, the Magrider 2.0 better be a show pony.
No do crank up the graphics...

I get over 200 FPS in Planetside on a mid ranged PC with everything turned up. I can afford to lose 140FPS, so please go nuts with the graphics. Big battles wont be impressive if it looks the same as planetside, I was impressed by it in 2003 and it has lost it's impact by now lol.
Old 2011-01-23, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

Gameplay über alles IMO. So what if the graphics don't look like the latest CoD? Better to attract as large of a player base as possible with reasonable system reqs and hopefully a better subscription model (maybe freemium like running the original reserves program all the time?)
Old 2011-01-23, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
No do crank up the graphics...

I get over 200 FPS in Planetside on a mid ranged PC with everything turned up. I can afford to lose 140FPS, so please go nuts with the graphics. Big battles wont be impressive if it looks the same as planetside, I was impressed by it in 2003 and it has lost it's impact by now lol.
Go away troll. You have no idea about anything. Great that YOU have 200FPS, but most people dont, and if you loose 96% of the players, you still dont have big battles...
Old 2011-01-23, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by LesserShade View Post
Gameplay über alles IMO. So what if the graphics don't look like the latest CoD? Better to attract as large of a player base as possible with reasonable system reqs and hopefully a better subscription model (maybe freemium like running the original reserves program all the time?)
Agreed.

Honestly sacrifices have to be made in a game like this. There are so many people in one area if we were running around with insane graphics it would become a slideshow for all.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-01-23, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Miir
Malvision

After looking more at that the picture it got me thinking. What if it's not even a working game model. What if it's just a static prop? Something to show on the battlefield like a rock or ruined building.

That would explain why there is next to no paint on it or maybe why the detail isn't as high.
Old 2011-01-23, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
EVILoHOMER
Major

Yeh but this is 2011, not 2003 and this doesn't look any better than the first Planetside. It still looks like it uses DX7 or something and the mode is such low poly. Frigging even the textures on it is so bad and I understand the game will have big battles but it never has any impact on my performance in Planetside. That game isn't even coded to take advantage of 4-6 cores and DX11 SLI/Crossfire machines.

My only guess is it'll be some free to play Browser based game that they want everyone to have access to playing, which would be my worst nightmare.

Only good thing I can take from this is with graphics like that they're probably going for big battles again. I was worried they would go small scale 32 player instances or something lol. Every MMO these days seems to get less massive as time goes on. The old days had us all in the same areas, now it's all max players 100 or whatever. DC Universe cause it's on the PS3 has small scale PVP instances.

Have to wait and see how this turns out but this screenshot has just made me less excited.
Old 2011-01-23, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Homer, for you, and i hope you understand this:

THIS IS A RENDER TAKEN OUF OF THE PROGRAM USED TO MODEL THIS MODEL! IT DOES NOT SHOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE GAME ENGINE!
If you post again, i simply ignore you. You didnt even read Smeds blogs...

Miir: Nice idea. But that would mean that everything we learned from that shot is wrong or not completly accurate. Have to wait for another shot to confirm or deny pretty much everything that came up after the first shot.
Old 2011-01-23, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

I really don't know what some are complaining about, but lets get a few misconceptions out of the way.

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER
SOE ruined Everquest, launched Everquest 2 that sucked and didn't even feel like Everquest. They ruined SWG with the NGE and the CU and ruined Planetside with CC and BFRs, then they left it to die. DC Universe Online is another failure of an MMO from them that is so shallow and boring.
EverQuest evolved with the times, and still is going strong.

EverQuest 2 was an amazing game until PVP was established (which was requested by the community). Did they go about implementing it wrong? No, they increased the speed and progression of the game to make the PVP relevant, and focused too much on other releases like WoW and WAR instead of doing their own thing.

Star Wars Galaxies NGE and CU were pushed by LucasArts, SOE actually had little to do with it since it ruined their Trials of Obi-Wan expansion and had to give a mass refund. LucasArts owns and controls the intellectual property of Star Wars, thus they have the final say on everything.

Planetside needed an expansion to bring the attention of the game to more people since it would have a presence on store shelves. Core Combat added tons of new content and some over-powered weapons, which was done to sell more copies of the expansion. It makes sense from a business perspective, but it can screw over the players in the end. Not to mention the caverns which brought the modules, which I think was a great addition to Planetside. BFRs started out over-powered, but they were eventually balanced out and they are a decent addition to the world now. And they haven't left it to die, the players have. SOE has done what they can to continue development on it with updates and other such improvements such as Phantasm, New Deployables, and Black Ops.

DC Universe Online isn't a failure at all, in fact there are so many people playing on both PC and PS3 they need to open up new servers. Sure there's no crafting, but the game is a ton of fun and the story is presented perfectly. But I'll get back on topic.

John Smedley has released a render of what appears to be a New Conglomerate Tank, of which the turret bares a striking resemblance to the current Planetside Vanguard. You can see the comparison here:

Obviously there's a huge detail increase from the current model in Planetside to this flat light render of a Tank in Planetside Next. But why don't we take the comparisons a step further and compare this render to a render of a tank from Bad Company 2.

Here's the tank from Planetside Next:

Here's the tank from Bad Company 2:

Ignoring the lighting, effects, and physics animations as none are present in the Planetside Next Tank render, we can see a lot of similarities. The tank treds on both contain individual road wheels within the track, which we can assume with provide realistic handling and physics based animation similar to the Bad Company 2 tank. We also see a hatch for the driver and a hatch for the gunner on both models, which leads me to believe that entering and exiting a vehicle will be animated as in the current Planetside.

Now if you applied the same lighting and muzzle effects to the Planetside Next Tank, it would look 'current generation' and comparable to other games in the genre. Also, as has been stated before, if they are expecting 1000 person battles then they need to keep the requirements low. I know it's a bit picture heavy, but hope this explains a bit.

Last edited by Saieno; 2011-01-23 at 01:56 PM.
Old 2011-01-23, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

Thanks Typwn, great post.
Old 2011-01-23, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Typwn, Post of the year. You changed my mind about it. Thanks!
Old 2011-01-23, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Westy543
Private

Round one, thread goes to Typwn. Well done sir. Yeah you can't accurately reflect an engine based on a model render. Mods do that all the time, they render it right out of 3DSMax. It's pretty rare for companies to do that, in my experience.
Old 2011-01-24, 01:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Hazardous
Private

I have been googling information on planetside next for the past few days in hopes of finding any scrap of information available either leaked or given, and i can find a photo..

This game will be "released" in Q2 2011, Whilst its 5 years late, i say put it off longer. Smed earlier posted in 09 that he had learned from his mistakes on this very site and now has '20/20 Hindsight', yet i see Core Combat happening all over again! No questions being asked, just implementing as they see fit without the communities feedback.

One of the major complaints of the first game was the lack of marketing.. I do not see that being improved in the slightest for the sequel. Even now with a few months to go before release i have read FAR more about The Agency, which is scheduled for a later release. Planetside Next isn't even listed on www.mmorpg.com, i just had to send them an email requesting them to add it.

I have my theories on the lack of information, namely limited changes, limited budget, which is fine.. planetside already had the fundamentals, but the lack of community input (please dont say that survey counts, who knows who got it besides the planetside player base making its input moot), and what i foresee to be a lack of marketing and future support will soon have the players dubbing the game Planetside Deja Vu.
Old 2011-01-24, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Hamma
PSU Admin

Hazardous,

I know your concerns are shared amongst many in the PS community. It's a very strange development process to be sure.

Typwn - Great post!!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion