Planetside Next release date -Not this march? not Q2? not this year? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Making thousands of fans cry every day.....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-02-03, 12:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Re: Planetside Next release date -Not this march? not Q2? not this year?

Originally Posted by morf View Post
I keep thinking about what Smed actually said:

" we haven't announced a release date for it but you can expect it... We're looking at late first-quarter, early second-quarter [2011]."

Expect what? A release, or a release date announcement?
This is quite possibly right. The date they release the Release Date might be in the coming months. Personally, I hope they don't. Beta would b too short, not enough community looking at the game and what they have changed.
Old 2011-02-03, 07:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Hamma
PSU Admin

I don't think the major news outlets are being irresponsible I just think Smed has been a bit to cryptic. I can understand why he is doing that but he may set expectations that will serve to make the community a bit angry.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-02-03, 07:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Grimster
First Lieutenant

I hope they announce it soon. I want a trailer to drool over. Hell it doesn't even have to be ingame I just want to be feed with something.

A new site for the new Planetside game would also be nice.
Old 2011-02-03, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Nobel
Master Sergeant

I personally, as Im sure everyone else does, hope that they release a beta in March, if thats realistic, no one knows; Alpha for PS1 Began on January 1st, 2001; The game was released in May, 2003; They took their time and it ended up working as well as one of the first MMOFPS's ever to be released could.

Though this is unconventional; it is possible that SOE is attempting a new kind of Marketing Strategy that we havent yet seen before. I think specifically to a movie like District 9; who was advertising on a budget. People didnt hear a thing about this film until roughly 8 weeks before it came out in theatres. Suddenly, the viral advertising for the film was everywhere; and it ended up being VERY successful; on a much cheaper advertising budget than most films.
Old 2011-02-03, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sirisian
Colonel

I don't want to be "that guy" but at this point I don't mind if they push the release or beta back. The Sandy Bridge processor recall made my laptop order go from shipping yesterday on February 2nd to end of March or April.

I don't want to see this game on low settings.
Old 2011-02-03, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Nobel View Post
Though this is unconventional; it is possible that SOE is attempting a new kind of Marketing Strategy that we havent yet seen before. I think specifically to a movie like District 9; who was advertising on a budget. People didnt hear a thing about this film until roughly 8 weeks before it came out in theatres. Suddenly, the viral advertising for the film was everywhere; and it ended up being VERY successful; on a much cheaper advertising budget than most films.
I'd like to think you are right, but I'm a little hesitant to think that SOE are being that clever. I mean the original had almost no marketing, and with that in mind it feels like it might be the same for PSN. I think we'll have a better idea after PAX on what SOE's marketing plan is...if they even have one at this point. They did a pretty good job with DCUO, but that had a slightly more popular intellectual property behind it.
Old 2011-02-03, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
morf
First Sergeant

Wait what? Since when has SOE ever spent money advertising their games? (See: EQ, EQ2, SWG, PS, Vanguard etc) the only places you seem to hear about them is on gaming news sites, fan sites or at station.com. and chances are if you're on either of the latter 2 then you already know about the game. There's nothing wrong with word of mouth but it requires a lot of time and a decent trailer or 2.
Old 2011-02-03, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Robert089
Sergeant

If SOE do balls up the marketing this time around it will probably be down to word of mouth again. No doubt though some member of the community will be able to make an amazing trailer and I think it will be easier for the community to get the word out this time around with all the practise we had from last time.
Old 2011-02-03, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Raymac
Brigadier General

Well I did see a commercial for DCUO during the NFL playoffs, but I think that was basically right at the release date. But hey, if PSN is even getting write-ups on places like IGN or G4tv, then I'll be as happy as a pig in shit.
Old 2011-02-07, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Bhopx
Private

Originally Posted by morf View Post
Wait what? Since when has SOE ever spent money advertising their games? (See: EQ, EQ2, SWG, PS, Vanguard etc) the only places you seem to hear about them is on gaming news sites, fan sites or at station.com. and chances are if you're on either of the latter 2 then you already know about the game. There's nothing wrong with word of mouth but it requires a lot of time and a decent trailer or 2.
I don't think people mean like TV spots or anything, I think what bothers people is that you go to sites like ign.com and gamespot and they have zero info on PS:N, yet the game is possibly (based on Smedley's comment) going to be released in the next couple months? That would be unheard of for any sort of major game release. It makes people (including me) worry that this game is some sort of half-baked effort. I would certainly hope that what he meant is that they will be announcing a release date in Q1/Q2 2011.

Last edited by Bhopx; 2011-02-07 at 02:43 PM.
Old 2011-02-07, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Bhopx View Post
I would certainly hope that what he meant is that they will be announcing a release date in Q1/Q2 2011.
I'm suspecting that's the case.
Old 2011-02-07, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Sifer2
Major

Chances are March is when they will actually reveal it not release it. There is just no way. To launch a game without any real media lead up to it would be massively stupid. Granted SOE's business decisions are not the brightest but I don't think even they are that dumb. The question to me is whether Beta starts in March.
Old 2011-02-07, 08:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
turnips
Private

I'd be surprised if it wasn't released Q1/Q2 to be honest. Presidents of companies like SOE don't just go out there and say a game will be released at a certain time and not have a grain of truth. And, I'm pretty sure a Smedly wouldn't be trying to "fool" these interviewers about the actual release date of PS:N. That doesn't make sense.

The reason they are not giving a lot of information, advertising, and in general keeping pretty quiet is because of the closeness of the release dates of DC Universe and PS:N. To me it is very obvious the marketing campaign of DC Universe is not done because I've seen multiple commercials on TV and adds throughout the internet. Basically if they started giving information out about PS:N and started advertising, it would bring unwanted competition for both SOE games. They will have a short and effective marketing for PS:N, after DC Universes.

^ My thought process as to what is going on - no need to flame, but to me that is what makes the most sense.

Going over quotes brought to us from multiple places -

"We have a very big launch coming in the month of March," Smedley said. "It's a big first person shooter franchise that we're really happy with."

I took a leap of logic and asked whether it was Planetside.

"Could be," Smedley said sheepishly. "We haven't technically announced it." He then told me that I could say that he "hinted" that the new Planetside was imminent, which translates to 99% of a confirmation. "This is the farthest I've gone [discussing it with the press] and the PR people are going to shoot me."
SOURCE; http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...ng-This-Spring

First, I've never heard of information released for a game, alpha, or beta referred to as a launch. A launch of a game is when its released. He also says that the PR people are going to shoot him, maybe supporting the idea of interfering with DC Universe marketing. (last part maybe long shot lol)

"And we haven't announced a release date for it but you can expect it... We're looking at late first-quarter, early second-quarter [2011]."

I think were looking to hard at this quote. It states they have not yet set an exact date for PS:N but they are looking for a Q1/Q2 launch.

After all this went on, Virrago on the forums posted this...

"We’re excited to confirm that we will be continuing the PlanetSide franchise with an all-new FPS action game next year. More details will be coming soon…" - Virrago (in 2010)

Says continuing Planetside Franchise with an entirely new game for next year. Not stated Q1/Q2, but confirming 2011.

I was bored thought I'd write this up and give my ideas. To me it is weird that it would be released in Q1/Q2, but you have to look at the facts given. Unless it has changed over the past month.
Old 2011-02-07, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Bags
Lieutenant General

I agree with the above. If it was anyone else but smed I'd be more skeptical, but it'd be pretty bad for the CEO to stretching/fudging the truth so publicly.
Old 2011-02-07, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
KayOneElRoy
Private

Makes me worry... I really hope it does not come out so early, unless they are only intentionally showing us models and not in game images. Also they better have some bad ass marketing cooked up to wow the world in such short notice.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion