Empire specific game versions - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Didn't I wear this shirt the day after yesterday?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Empire specific game version?
Yay 16 21.33%
Nay 33 44.00%
Whateva 26 34.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-06-22, 05:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Empire specific game versions

I have a ton of stuff crammed up on my hard currently so when installing anything new I most often have to uninstall something. I will get a larger hard soon but anyway I don't like to waste my hard space on things I don't use or need.

Since I will (and I presume many others) play only 1 Empire exclusively I think it would be good if devs allowed us to install only thing needed for our Empire... things excluded would be other Empire's specific first person's view models and textures, empire specific music, backgrounds and everything else that falls under that same category...

I believe it would result in 2-3 gb space reduction of HD. What do you think?

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-06-22 at 05:32 AM.
Old 2012-06-22, 05:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #2

Re: Empire specific game versions

I like the idea personally, I just can’t see it happening.
Old 2012-06-22, 05:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
RageMasterUK
Corporal

I might want to play other empires, and I'd feel wrong about not having the full game on my HD. 2-3 GB of reduction is completely irrelevant to me. I got a terrabyte so thats less than 1% of my harddrive space.
Old 2012-06-22, 05:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Would be nice to have a Purple VS Screen

Like !

Btw.
Old 2012-06-22, 05:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by RageMasterUK View Post
I might want to play other empires, and I'd feel wrong about not having the full game on my HD. 2-3 GB of reduction is completely irrelevant to me. I got a terrabyte so thats less than 1% of my harddrive space.
There should be a full version too.. that's not even in question here. 2-3 gb can be a huge amount of space for others though. If I have to choose between my music and games music always wins. I don't like to install things I won't use so I like programs/games that allow you to install thing you'll actually use only.

Install options should be like this:

1. Full version (default); XX GB
2. TR version; X GB
3. NC version; X GB
4. VS version; X GB

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-06-22 at 05:48 AM.
Old 2012-06-22, 06:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Azovyr
Private

If you are running with 1 drive and it's that full it's gonna hurt your performance due to lack of swap space anyway, time to get a bigger hard disk or find something to delete.

Edit: forgot to mention with drives that full they can't properly be defragmented either which will further hinder performance.

Last edited by Azovyr; 2012-06-22 at 06:12 AM.
Old 2012-06-22, 06:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Azovyr View Post
If you are running with 1 drive and it's that full it's gonna hurt your performance due to lack of swap space anyway, time to get a bigger hard disk or find something to delete.

Edit: forgot to mention with drives that full they can't properly be defragmented either which will further hinder performance.
Thanks for advice, but I know all that plus tons of tricks and ways how to free up some space. Currently I have 2 drive with above 20% percent of free space on each and I never ever go below 15%. However I always keep my system clean and regularly defragment it and never keep the stuff I don't use anymore and remove everything both via automatic uninstall and manual cleanup of leftover folders and registries scattered around various place on your computer.

edit: and no matter how much more space I buy it usually ends up at upper limits in couple of months.

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-06-22 at 06:42 AM.
Old 2012-06-22, 06:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

I really liked your idea until I realized it wasn't about changing the theme of the client to fit your faction.
Old 2012-06-22, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
I really liked your idea until I realized it wasn't about changing the theme of the client to fit your faction.
I believe OP was pretty clear. It could this include that too, but that isn't my primary concern - primary concern is giving you a choice to exclude unnecessary stuff. I believe that devs will provides different ES client themes anyway... i just want to be able to choose not to install everything since I won't use (need) 2/3 of specific stuff at all.

Also I would shorten the download time considerably if it was 2-3 gbs less.

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-06-22 at 06:57 AM.
Old 2012-06-22, 07:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
xnorb
Sergeant

Voted "whateva"

As i'm new to Planetside i will try out different factions, so i will need the full
client anyways.
As that's something that has no impact on gameplay, i see no reason to
vote "no"
Old 2012-06-22, 07:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

10/1, it's not going to conserve much memory usage. Plus making it like you suggest, creates an open call for hackers to find how to play with mismatched clients. That's why my answer is /no.

Afterall (re)writable DVDs are quite cheap, I for one always copy non-retail game client installers onto discs. As a measure of saving time with download.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-22 at 07:20 AM.
Old 2012-06-22, 07:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Synapse
First Sergeant

The biggest stuff is just going to be texture files, which (cockpits aside) are pretty much needed for everyone.

I don't really see a big size difference out of this...

...which is too bad because i'm probably going ot need to uninstall everything to play. Permanently low on space.
Old 2012-06-22, 07:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Jomo
Corporal

I could see this benefiting some people. I gave it a 'whateva' cause while I see the benefit to others, it's not going to really affect me since for the most part, hard drive space is pretty easy to come by.

Regardless, this should just be one client, with multiple install options if that route is considered. Everyone should always be able to have the full client, or narrow it down on installation if wanted.
Old 2012-06-22, 07:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
The biggest stuff is just going to be texture files, which (cockpits aside) are pretty much needed for everyone.
Most games use different first person and third person models and texture (first multiply it by 2 for faction you won't play, then multiply that by 6 for number of different classes on opposing Empires and add up all the 1st views for additional purchasable skins and that's without 1st view version of empires specific weapons and different skin for them)... so your claim is incorrect . With 1st person textures and models having larger poly count and higher quality of textures usually.

Anyway idea is only on if it can conserve significant amount of some space (1 gb at least) and I believe it would.

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
10/1, it's not going to conserve much memory usage. Plus making it like you suggest, creates an open call for hackers to find how to play with mismatched clients. That's why my answer is /no.

Afterall (re)writable DVDs are quite cheap, I for one always copy non-retail game client installers onto discs. As a measure of saving time with download.
I wasn't talking about memory usage but about space on drive game takes (and I think you could save up quite a bit this way, I know that these things are relative but anyway, 1gb is a lot of music), also it would take you less time to download. I also backup everything I download as you do so I don't have to download it again in case I uninstall but still some people don't, but that's not the issue, I don't like having 1, 2 or 3 gbs of stuff I don't need at all.

Don't see how this would make game vulnerable to hackers... explain.

edit: I never suggested different game clients if that's what you meant. Just different install options (/install packages) so you don't have to install things required for other Empires you won't need if you decide to play only one. Also it's a pretty simple thing to do.

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-06-22 at 07:54 AM.
Old 2012-06-22, 07:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
@NS: Don't see how this would make game vulnerable to hackers... explain.
Not vulnerable. But say we have a client, and the client should be same for everyone, any missmatched content gets patched or client gets kicked.

Now with what you suggest, we're going to have 4 LEGIT clients. That basically makes figuring out the way to bypass file check 4 times easier.

EDIT: Different Clients or Same Client with 4 different legit folder sizes, it doesn't really make any difference in the situation.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-22 at 07:42 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion