[Chainfall Original] Air Cruisers: Next - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We stoled your smart!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-12, 11:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Re: [Chainfall Original] Air Cruisers: Next

I'm just trying to say that fighting something as bad ass as that would, at least to me. more sense of army, togetherness and over all teamwork.

and so I pointed out BF2142s Titan. I love its Titan mode x1000 more then the boring CTF mode.

If we could keep them from being spammed and overall limit how many can be on a "planet" at once I think being able to fight a enemy empires outfits "Titan" would be cool and ADD to the game and the fighting.

to stop too many being in one spot make them like other deployed stuff to where one friendly Titan can't be like 3 bases with from another friendly titan or something.

Last edited by Forsaken One; 2011-07-12 at 11:29 PM.
Old 2011-07-12, 11:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
That's actually worse because it's then a side-game within planetside and not part of driving conflict or fighting over resources. You may as well put them in an instance and make it a 40 v 40 outfit war for bragging rights.
No more than a water based navy would be. And I didn't say they would have no impact on the ground game. Force projection is a huge aspect of these, and while you can't just farm bases with them, they will still be relevant.

Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-12, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Not necessarily less interesting than boats. Boats could be much more fragile and not focal points. They could also be amphibious, much like Magriders, Threshers, and Deliverers.

If some hexes were swampy or dominated primarily by water but still had resources, then boats could be quite interesting for winning and controlling that territory. It could be you need a boat to capture it.

The main advantage I see of a boat over aircraft is that in PS2 aircraft aren't floating cameras - there's flight physics. A boat could just sit there as an offshore weapons platform. Perhaps they can be used as artillery for neighboring hexes. Might even have an aircraft carrier type thing with an air-term and rearm pads to use as an off-shore base.

The difference between that offshore base and a crusier is that the cruiser is all-terrain, while the carrier would be limited to coastal areas and its influence limited to watery hexes and coastal hexes. You could ignore them and not orry aobut them moving deeper into your territory (unless they could go up rivers, which makes senes). That means they have limited impact to the game to those regions, as opposed to dominating the game on all terrain types. If they can go up rivers then you'd see them vulnerable to tanks and infantry AV while they might be much safer off-shore out of range of those things.

Last edited by Malorn; 2011-07-12 at 11:26 PM.
Old 2011-07-12, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

For starters I think before something is added to the game it needs to have a clear purpose. "Because its cool" isn't sufficient purpose. BFRs were "cool" and they had a terrible impact on the game.
^ I'd like to touch on this for a moment. BFRs are for 1-2 people. In a sense they were made powerful for the "Self" such power to the "Self" has little place in Planetside.

now. for laughs I'm going to say this. If the BFR, with the level of power it had, had to have a whole squad or more piloting it, taking that much people out of the battle. been more balanced?

-- Each gun could be weak but need to be maned. and while working together it may have a decently powerful effect on the battlefield at the same time all those people manning the guns could be driving tanks, or rushing the base or etc. It would be in a sense a basic vehicle just with a high power of teamwork and man power making it strong.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-12, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Oh BTW, look at this image that was leaked a while ago:

http://img4.mmo.mmo4arab.com/news/20...e2_warfare.jpg

Look at the lower right corner - there's a warpgate AND A FACILITY in the water at the mouth of a river delta.

So if there's boats, you may need them to not only control water territories, but also in order to capture water-based facilities. There appears to be a river system on this map (looks like Hossin to me), so several bases could have riverboat production, with one facility that cannot be attacked except by boat or by air.

I like this design, looks very interesting and will make for fun fights. Seems they're already planning on boats and making them interesting. They might be release vehicles and not part of the 3-year plan.
Old 2011-07-13, 03:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Volw
First Sergeant

Matt mentioned boats won't make it for the release but they hope to add them down the line.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-13, 04:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
SKYeXile
Major General

but what about the flying bases?!?

after all planetside was highly influenced from tribes.

Old 2011-07-13, 05:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Tikuto
Major

or a floating Necropolis where necromancers perform magical necromancy
Old 2011-07-13, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Not necessarily less interesting than boats. Boats could be much more fragile and not focal points. They could also be amphibious, much like Magriders, Threshers, and Deliverers.

If some hexes were swampy or dominated primarily by water but still had resources, then boats could be quite interesting for winning and controlling that territory. It could be you need a boat to capture it.

The main advantage I see of a boat over aircraft is that in PS2 aircraft aren't floating cameras - there's flight physics. A boat could just sit there as an offshore weapons platform. Perhaps they can be used as artillery for neighboring hexes. Might even have an aircraft carrier type thing with an air-term and rearm pads to use as an off-shore base.

The difference between that offshore base and a crusier is that the cruiser is all-terrain, while the carrier would be limited to coastal areas and its influence limited to watery hexes and coastal hexes. You could ignore them and not orry aobut them moving deeper into your territory (unless they could go up rivers, which makes senes). That means they have limited impact to the game to those regions, as opposed to dominating the game on all terrain types. If they can go up rivers then you'd see them vulnerable to tanks and infantry AV while they might be much safer off-shore out of range of those things.
Actually I did take terrain into account. Even though these are technically Airships, they have the same rules as water based ships. They are altitude locked for one, which means their interaction with the ground can vary greatly from indirect support only to literally blowing up on a mountainside.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion