Project: Firebird - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: [Insert Witty Comment Here]
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2005-02-22, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Project: Firebird

Objective: An ambitious free thought excersize, that will most likely get me flamed, lots.

Premise:To take the planetside engine and do something otustanding with it. I whould like to note that this is not to say the current planetside is "Bad" it's just not what it could have been. I whould even go so far as to say planetside is the greatest "Shoulda, coulda, whoulda" game in history.

First step:Aquire the use of the Fallout license from whoever holds it this week. This will grant brand recognition right off the bat it will also give a nice complete background story and a better one then "the wormhole closed"

Second step:Take the planetside engine, scrap the empires, scrap the continents, take all the weapons and make them common pool. Scrap all flying vehicles save the galaxy allow the galaxy to move more agile, especially if you make it similar to an ospry, remove its weapons ecept for possibly one tail mounted gun. Allow the Gal to haul either troops, or any vehicle. To load and unload vehicles it must land completely.Scrap the base benefits. Scrap the everything is free equipment system, especially scrap the BFRs.

Third Step: Rebuilding phase.
Basicly now you've got the barebones planetside engine, with the netcode optimization and lessons learned to handle lots and lots of people on the smae continents, world.

-Redo the continents to emphasize more open spaces and fewer structures, rather then bases have towns and facilities, mines and the wrecks of cities. Fully functioning cities should be few and far between.

-Redo the econ and cert system. Everyone has the ability to use all weapons, everyone has the ability to use all armor. (Save MAX's well get to that) The limiting factor is do you have the facilities, and the equipment and the resources to produce that equipment. All buggies are available depending on what equipment you have to field them.

-Basicly the game is centered around taking territory and resources to help your factions better win the war. I whould use only 2 factions. Also servers whould reset every week and winners declared for that week.

-3 Resources whould be measured in the game, these can be traded among players shared with your outfit or made available to your faction as a whole. Creating various objects whould require the resources in difrent quatities. Certain things (i.e the TR rifle and the supressor) whould always be available.
Controlling functioning villiages whould allow for faster respawns, etc.

I'll go into a bit more detail in my next post on how to make the game difrent from the forever killing of planetside later.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2005-02-23, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Duffman
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Dont like the restarting and whatever you do it should be for the good of the empire not fo your outfit.
Old 2005-02-24, 07:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Might as well build such a game from the ground up.
Old 2005-02-24, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Doppler
Contributor
Major

The thought had occured to me Lat, but the flipside of that is they've probly got the net code and the lessons learned from a lot of it pretty down pat, so thats mainly what the PS engine has to offer.
Old 2005-02-24, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

small parts which are easily worked into a new game
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion