Long absence, AV question - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Mmmm, nice
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2005-02-07, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
chavr
Corporal

Long absence, AV question

I haven't played in a very long time. I thought I'd give it a spin because I had some pretty decent memories while I was deployed. I got to br5 yesterday and was trying out my good ol' striker again, but I must say I'm rather disappointed.

What do the dev's intend for an AV person to do?

I remember being able to kill mossies and reavers.. sometimes. I could kill harrasers and lightnings if I played it right. Max's used to be fair game and I could even put a dent in tanks somewhat. Last night and today though has just been a very long line of death after death while I watch rocket upon rocket fly into vehicles and nothing happen. I couldn't even kill a switchblade for goodness sakes.

It could be that I'm just really, really rusty and there are new tactics to using the striker that I don't know. Right now it just seems like the striker has been nerfed to the point it's nearly useless and that the game has gone from being infantry oriented to favoring vehicles. Any advice would be appreciated because I'm frustrated enough right now I doubt I will continue to play. What's the point of spending 7 certs to get AV (and reinforced for the ammo room) if I can't kill a 3 cert vehicle.
Old 2005-02-07, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
GreyFlcn
Sergeant Major

1) Yes vehicle armor was buffed up a lot
2) Striker now does 125 damage per shot instead of 200, but has a 5 clip instead of a 3 clip
3) AMP stations now add some percentage of armor as shielding
4) Switchblade actually has 2000 armor. Sinifigantly more than Lightnings, Assault Buggies, and about on par with a Deliverer.
Old 2005-02-07, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
KIAsan
First Sergeant

Welcome back. Sorry about AV, but this is now vehicleside, not infantryside. You will find it is still an useful cert, if there are at least 3 of you firing at the same target at the same time. It's also good for maxs, since you can get them from a distance. For close support, use the deci. Decis + jammers are also great as a point attack against BFRs and tanks. And of course, you can still kill spits from a safe range.

If your certing the striker to solo kill anything (other than maxes), your going to be disappointed. I have solo killed noob pilots with the thing (those who make multiple runs at you), but if they hover and rocket spam you, your dead. You can also use the striker to leech kills off others, just don't start firing until just before that BFR/Tank/mossy dies, and you will get the kill about 50% of the time (timing is everything here, so a little practice will pay off).

Actually, you will find that there is still a role for infantry in the game. BFRs need infantry support. Also, bases can't be capped without infantry. However, just don't expect to run around in the open with out being reaver/bfr spammed to death. Infantry in the open is a reaver/bfr pilots wet dream. Also, if you do infantry support for a BFR, expect to be targeted first (since your easiest to kill).

I know this all sounds a bit discouraging, but the game is actually a lot of fun to play now. You just need to adjust your expectations of the way it was, to what it is now.

If it's not nailed down, it's mine. If I can pry it up, it's not nailed down.
Old 2005-02-07, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
chavr
Corporal

Are the alien tech weapons better then the standard stuff? Hard to imagine they would give the switchblade 2k armor unless they are trying to make people want to buy the expansions.

Also, is there anything else I should know that ya'll can think of?
Old 2005-02-07, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hamorad
First Sergeant

Deci got nerfed
Old 2005-02-07, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
GreyFlcn
Sergeant Major

Well switchblade can only be gotten with a vehicle module, or via the caves
It also can't damage armor worth crap.
And it's mobile firepower isn't that good on anything.

It's essentially a deployable AI wall turret.
Old 2005-02-08, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Thrik
First Sergeant

The weaponry offered with the expansion is actually excellent, and probably for the "incentive" reason that you gave. I haven't actually used the Core Combat vehicles and weapons since it originally launched and there were free trials of it (any more of these floating around?), but at the time I recall the artillery vehicle being absolutely deadly, and the pistol was pretty damn good too. And have you seen those huge robots walking around and leaving a trail of destruction behind them yet? Yep, more expansion evils.

The game is still very fun without these slightly more expensive goodies though, and there are always to take them down -- with teamwork. Just don't try doing it alone.
Old 2005-02-09, 12:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Xijx
Private

I've been away from planetside for a while too....But i'm pickin it up again fast(lots more people seem to have DarkLight now =D)....but i gotta ask, what did they do to my flail?! The thing seems absolutly horid now.
Old 2005-02-09, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
GreyFlcn
Sergeant Major

Flail is bugged horribly right now
I never liked it, so I didn't feel like mentioning it

But the shots actually fall through the ground....
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion