Kill Cams - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the rare and elusive Hamma
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-01, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: Kill Cams

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Once we get to beta if we think it sucks we'll remove it.

If it sucks depens alot on the situation and the the person itself. It might be devestating for cloakers and snipers, but for everyone else it wouldnt affect the game much. But to speak for myself, i dont like to get zoomed to the guy who killed me. It would be by far enough to know who killed me and what weapon he used, means the same way planetside did it. Some additional info like what class he is in etc may be cool, but seeing right where he is/was, and propably even a short demo of the few secs before he killed me in his First person view sucks, especialy if you are forced to see it every damn time. It happens rarley that you got killed without knowing how, the obvious death are just painful to watch again.
Old 2011-10-01, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Ive read alot of these aurgments, but i still think id like the kill cam the only thing i see it hurting would be snipers and posabily cloakers. other then that you pretty much see people who kill you in planetside because you have the time to react to where your being shot from
Old 2011-10-01, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Wahooo
Captain

Kill cams are a horrid idea, and i've always hated them. Yeah as said, cloaking and sniping would be punished severely. DO NOT WANT.
Old 2011-10-01, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Captain B
First Sergeant

I dunno'...

With so many people to kill, when you respawn and get back in the fight, are you really gonna' go stomping around the woods looking for that cloaker that killed you or climbing the ridge to flank that sniper that killed you? Assuming they're even still ALIVE by the time you get back out there? And, in the mean time, are you going to forgo shooting and maiming and blowing up all the infantry, tanks and Reavers about in your singular quest of revenge?

Personally, I wouldn't care much. It takes all of 30 minutes to an hour of hard fighting to find all the defensive and offensive positions in an area. After that it isn't hard to speculate, and the best cloakers and snipers stay mobile. Everyone else is staying mobile out of necessity (heavy infantry, vehicles on the front line, aircraft, and so on).
Old 2011-10-01, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Wahooo
Captain

So what is the benefit to the game with kill cams? Crutch learn where the hard way where firing lanes are and when you weren't aware?
Old 2011-10-01, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
Xyntech
Brigadier General

The kill cam should be able to be turned off. If someone doesn't like it, don't use it. It really won't affect gameplay though, so I have no problem with it's inclusion.

Sometimes I like a kill cam, on those rare occasions where the kill spam isn't enough. "WTF? A tank killed me? There were no tanks in the area... Ooooh, it was a random stray shot." That sort of shit. It's just kinda nice to know sometimes.
Old 2011-10-01, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Sometimes it's not that easy to tell where exactly AA is shooting from
In addition, aircav is too mobile to be hampered by it.

I guess I like this idea
Old 2011-10-01, 08:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
Desoxy
Corporal

I have the feeling many of you underestimate the scope of Planetside compared to CoD or even Battlefield. As Captain B pointed out: In the time it takes you to spawn and get back to the place you were killed at, your opponent will be long gone or already killed. Yes, you can tell your squad mates via voice chat who killed you from where, but if they are experienced players they noticed exactly what got killed and react accordingly.

I do like the "This is how you got killed"-recap, tbh. More often than not you find out that the - obviously cheating - opponent with his overpowered weapon right in front of you was not actually what killed you. You can learn from your mistakes easier, as was already stated.

And once you know the game you turn them off yourself in order to spawn a few seconds earlier - at least in my experience.

Just showing your killer for the next 5 seconds has this learning effect to far lesser extent and serves no practical purpose besides smoking out campnests, though. And this actually could give your squadmates valuable intel (is the enemy retreating or not etc.).
Old 2011-10-01, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
The kill cam should be able to be turned off. If someone doesn't like it, don't use it. It really won't affect gameplay though, so I have no problem with it's inclusion.
If players can turn it off in that they will neither see or be seen by others via kill cam, an option to completely disable the feature by individual players, I'm pretty sure all the objections here including my own will vanish.
Old 2011-10-01, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
Kill cams are a horrid idea, and i've always hated them. Yeah as said, cloaking and sniping would be punished severely. DO NOT WANT.
Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post

Sometimes I like a kill cam, on those rare occasions where the kill spam isn't enough. "WTF? A tank killed me? There were no tanks in the area... Ooooh, it was a random stray shot." That sort of shit. It's just kinda nice to know sometimes.
From previous page on the thread.

Old 2011-10-01, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
Hamma
PSU Admin

I know someone here said it's not "PlanetSide" which I will somewhat agree with.

But the reason I don't think it is, is because it's an MMO. It's not a quick 20 minute fast map in a game like BF or COD. There is another level to it completely. Since the maps are so big spending time getting to an awesome hiding spot is entirely possible, having someone see where you are right off the bat sets you back several minutes of hoofing it again.

I'll be curious to see the implementation before the final judge.

Cool to hear!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-10-01, 10:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
Sometimes it's not that easy to tell where exactly AA is shooting from
In addition, aircav is too mobile to be hampered by it.

I guess I like this idea
Exactly it is a direct nerf to some classes/roles and a non-factor to others.
I'm not worried (much) about the guy I just killed coming to find me as much as his 100% knowledge of EXACTLY where I was/am he can rely on voice coms to a bunch of other people who may have otherwise been good targets.

Guy I killed - "V-W-S"
Squad mate (and another potential victim) "Where"
1st guy "Not sure, I think toward the North"

versus

Guy I just killed "Crap there is a Sniper on that hill to the north-east between the trees with a perfect view of the north wall everyone look out, somebody get some air to take him out."

The other thing about seeing it wasn't some guy you think was hacking but oh... stray bullet is kinda funny, because in other threads not PS related i've seen this discussed it is always brought up as an ability to find cheaters/aimbotters, which I also find a tired argument as well. Stop thinking every time you die it was a hacker. Aim botters are obvious enough and what good is kill cam when you have no ability to take action other than some form of /report or /appeal.

What it adds to the game is a direct nerf to classes and roles that rely on being able to hide or stay hidden or try and be sneaky... V-V-G
Old 2011-10-01, 11:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I know someone here said it's not "PlanetSide" which I will somewhat agree with.

But the reason I don't think it is, is because it's an MMO. It's not a quick 20 minute fast map in a game like BF or COD. There is another level to it completely. Since the maps are so big spending time getting to an awesome hiding spot is entirely possible, having someone see where you are right off the bat sets you back several minutes of hoofing it again.

I'll be curious to see the implementation before the final judge.
I still don't see how thats "not Planetside". This is a little frustrating for me, because it's not that I badly want this feature. I just don't like how people are immediately dismissing it out of hand just because another game does it, or for no reason what-so-ever. I don't have a problem with people not liking something, but at least weigh the pros and cons. If it doesn't make it into the game at launch, you won't see me shed a single tear, but I'm not going to ignore the benefits.

I agree that in a game like Planetside with maps that are as vast as they are, you probably won't learn as much as you would on a small COD arena map. At the same time, when you are new to the game (which most of the players will be) and you die, the first thing that comes to your mind is "How the hell did that just happen?" A killcam answers that question and can take the sting out of a 1:10 K/D ratio.

Old 2011-10-01, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Raymac for someone who doesn't really care if this feature makes release or not you sure have spent a great deal of time posting defending it. If true it doesn't seem a very efficient way to spend your time on these forums.

Most of us are not dismissing it out of hand, the very post above yours by Wahoo gives very clear reasons why a good few of us are concerned by the possible inclusion of this feature. I'm not sold on your idea that a kill cam is a needed or even wanted learning tool either, nor does it seem are many others.

So, with what information we have, we have weighed the possible pros and cons, and found the likely cons far outweighing any likely benefits of kill cams in
PS2.
Old 2011-10-02, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #90
cellinaire
Captain

Originally Posted by Captain B View Post
I dunno'...

With so many people to kill, when you respawn and get back in the fight, are you really gonna' go stomping around the woods looking for that cloaker that killed you or climbing the ridge to flank that sniper that killed you? Assuming they're even still ALIVE by the time you get back out there? And, in the mean time, are you going to forgo shooting and maiming and blowing up all the infantry, tanks and Reavers about in your singular quest of revenge?

Personally, I wouldn't care much. It takes all of 30 minutes to an hour of hard fighting to find all the defensive and offensive positions in an area. After that it isn't hard to speculate, and the best cloakers and snipers stay mobile. Everyone else is staying mobile out of necessity (heavy infantry, vehicles on the front line, aircraft, and so on).
^_^b

and my idea : after your character dies, camera just gives direction of the killer over your dead body for first few seconds and start rotating slowly like PS1's way.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion