New Mr.V Poll: MAX armor, the 1337 choice, or the n00bs salvation? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: WILSON! COME BACK!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: 1337 choice or n00bs salvation?
The MAX will be the 1337 armor/weapon of choice. Skillz will reign here 5 6.76%
n00bs need a toy, only the unskilled will wield a max 9 12.16%
I need to see it in game to have an opinion 24 32.43%
Niether 1337 nor n00b, personal choice and nothing is that "powerful" 36 48.65%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-03-08, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Hellsfire123
Contributor
Captain

Lol why would you need to lock on while vanu maxes fly? Its an arch, they cant change direction. Just plot the course in your head, and almost any FPS fan can do that, and fire on an intercept. Just like quake III with the rocket luancher.

And as for heavies being a noob class, i have a friend in TFC that can bunny hop the heavy up to scout running speed(he needs a conc to start off, but hey, thats skill). Also, one of the best groups i was ever in while i played EQ was all tank classes. We had 2 monks, 2 warriors, a paladin and a bard. We kicked ass, we hand out so much damage we where almost unstopable, and we all had someway to heal ourself (bind wound, lay hands, spell or song). Thats saying something becuase i havnt played EQ in about a year.
Old 2003-03-08, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Flameseeker
Captain

I think unskilled MAXes will be eaten alive by Nades/AV weapons. Skilled ones will lay down a withering patern of fire, provide AA and AV support, and act as mobile lockers. N00bs will run around in circles as I destroy them with Reaver Missiles.
Old 2003-03-08, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

It will be a newbie weapon often, and newbies will find it easyer to get kills, but they will be killing other newbies who dont have enough certs to get a long range AP weapon. Or that cant run away. The MAX in the hands of a skilled player will be deadly. But a MAX can not do many things such as hack, use nades/mines/turrets/vehicles and cant heal people. It is balanced.
Old 2003-03-08, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Flameseeker
I think unskilled MAXes will be eaten alive by Nades/AV weapons. Skilled ones will lay down a withering patern of fire, provide AA and AV support, and act as mobile lockers. N00bs will run around in circles as I destroy them with Reaver Missiles.
The thing I am having a hard time seeing is the difference between a skilled and unskilled max.

They both have only one weapon.
They both have only one MAX special ability.
They both move fairly slowly.

The big difference they will have is execution of the special ability and implants. Most people will be very similar in their MAX usage.
Old 2003-03-08, 10:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
MarkHawk
Corporal

anything that is a LARGE or Flying threat will be a bullet magnet. You know it i know it. It's all about who see's who first then all that matters is the reaction.
Old 2003-03-08, 11:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hife246
Corporal

I put it down as being for newbies and for the 1337 players. Alot of newbies will see it as a way to get some easy and quick experience and either keep it cause they like it or eventualy re-spec. into something different.

On the other hand I can see 1337 MAX players playing teh MAX cause they just that dam good. I can see a couple really skilled MAXes holding a base for abit with a med and an engi that work really well together until reinforcements get there. MAXes may not have many options upfront with skills and stuff, but a smart and experienced MAX player could probably put together a VERY effective AI or AV or AA MAX.
Old 2003-03-09, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

And i suppose running around in a faster more agile armor takes more skill than using a MAX... right. The same thing that differs the MAX's is the same thing thats different between the other armors. The difference between the armors and guys is just the weapons they use.

What, does it all of the sudden take more skill to aim a weapon in a non max then a max...

Heh, i don't see the MAX as noob friendly, simply because it will be focused on to be killed fast. What do you kill first, the guy whit a cycler or the guy whit 2 miniguns...

*shrug*
All comes down to the player.
Old 2003-03-09, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Hife246
Corporal

I wasn't Bashing MAX players, Skilled ones will be very important in teh game.

Like I said see it as a easy way to get xp. If u were entirely new to a game and u saw something like a MAX in teh game and did abit of reading on it and u wanetd to get some quick xp, wouldn't u atleast try it out to see how it goes?? I haven't played a MAX or even the game for that matter so quite frankly I can't really say much, just my opinion.

(If that post wasn't directed at me sry)
Old 2003-03-09, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

Both. A noob in a MAX would maybe take a skilled Inf., but a skilled MAX could take a whole noob platoon.
Old 2003-03-09, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Unknown
First Sergeant

I don't think MAXs will be the armor of choice for n00bs, that role is reserved for standard amor (the true n00bs anyways). I also don't think the slightly competent n00bs (the ones that actually figured out how to learn some certs) will choose MAXs either, because they will be too slow and hard to get around (though this is where the auto-run comes into play, some n00bs may take this route and go solo towards the first battle they see with their MAX). Hmm...actually maybe a good amount of this group will take MAXs...

Oh well, in either case they probably wouldn't be too much to worry about, a lone n00b MAX charging a base is like a large moth heading for a bug zapper, it might make a bright flash but it won't last very long. The MAXs to worry about will be the average competent player, who is teamplay minded and actually joins a sqad, and is somewhat competent with his weapons. They don't even have to have much of an aim, if they are a team player, then they could be vital to a squad, even if it's just to lay down blanket fire, draw fire, and/or act as a mobile trunk.

So in summary, n00bs may choose MAXs, but good squads won't choose n00bs (or they won't last long in squads anyways). MAXs will be a useful tool for the average player however, and in competent hands could prove invaluable to a squad, and even prove quite deadly
Old 2003-03-10, 01:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Irnbru
Contributor
Master Sergeant

i played a hero (highest hp in game) on daoc and being a good tank is not as easy as it sounds. Sure, nubs can pick MAX thinking they will be Billy Badass, but without a solid group behind them, they cant do jack. From what i've read however, MAXs dont seem to have any abilities other than being a meat shield, which doesnt appeal to me, but there are ppl out there who enjoy that aspect of the game. I'm gonna be infantry, but dont see any reason to raise armor that high.

One thing i will say after playing a hero (had ability to transform into a 12ft tall Stag), ppl in general go for the biggest target first. I still dont understand the logic behind going for the guy who can take the most dmg, but ppl do.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion