Since Snipers are Cloaks then OSOK Headshots is a must sniper cert - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where two personalities isn't enough.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should OSOK Headshots be in the game?
Yes as cert...they are cloaks so a regular sniper will kill a OSOK headshot sniper 18 14.88%
Yes.....Any Sniper should headshot tho. 37 30.58%
No 66 54.55%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-04-04, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Since Snipers are Cloaks then OSOK Headshots is a must sniper cert

Wait 'til beta. If OSOK headshots end up being OP, they'll be removed.

I don't know why you remade this thread. The implementation you're suggesting is horrible. When I hated the mere prospect of OSOKs I thought it was horrible, and now as someone who's undecided I still think it's horrible. It screams of someone who doesn't like OSOKs trying to make it as unattractive as possible in as heavy handed a way as they can come up with.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure why you still think cloakers will die in one shot in Planetside 2 just because they did in Planetside.

Originally Posted by TheRagingGerbil View Post
Huh?

We have headshots yes, but nowhere has OSOK been confirmed. Did I miss something?
Last time we got an update, snipers would apparently OSOK on a headshot, with the statement that it'd change in beta if need be.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-04-04 at 02:06 PM.
Old 2012-04-04, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Duddy
First Sergeant

IIRC wasn't it said that headshots would just do "bonus damage" and by that method would be OSOK versus other snipers as Vancha states?

Sorry Dreamcast, but your idea (and as such, your thread) doesn't seem well though out.
Old 2012-04-04, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
NCLynx
Major

OSOKs will probably be POSSIBLE if the sniper lands a headshot on a lower armored target (So I guess basically anyone but a heavy assault? Engineer helmets help too so classes I can't be sure of yet)

That's just my speculation though I guess.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-04-04, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Wait 'til beta. If OSOK headshots end up being OP, they'll be removed.

I don't know why you remade this thread. The implementation you're suggesting is horrible. When I hated the mere prospect of OSOKs I thought it was horrible, and now as someone who's undecided I still think it's horrible. It screams of someone who doesn't like OSOKs trying to make it as unattractive as possible in as heavy handed a way as they can come up with.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure why you still think cloakers will die in one shot in Planetside 2 just because they did in Planetside.

Last time we got an update, snipers would apparently OSOK on a headshot, with the statement that it'd change in beta if need be.

I love OSOK.....Thats why I think only the good snipers should have it and because it balances the game more.
Old 2012-04-04, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
I love OSOK.....Thats why I think only the good snipers should have it and because it balances the game more.
The point is - good snipers don't really need OHSOK. Besides making it a cert is like giving all PS veterans HA, giving all new players a beamer and putting them both into a dueling chamber.

You people need to SERIOUSLY start taking TTK into consideration. Having a sniper rifle that has the least TTK in the game of all weapons is actually worse than just removing it.

Afterall it's either OHSOK or no OHSOK, no perversions needed. I voted yes, just because there's no option "not a cert by any means"

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-04-04, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Stormhall

It should be like Counter-Strike where its a OHSOK with any gun. (Ahh Counter-Strike)
Old 2012-04-04, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Sirisian
Colonel

Was that English?
If cloak are like in planetside 1 where they day with 1 shot of a sniper....Then I think a sniper rifle should have a cert to perform OSOK headshots to regular troops(except maxes and perhaps rexo).
Reworded:
"If cloakers in Planetside 2 are like Planetside 1 where they can be one-hit sniped anywhere, then the sniper rifle needs a cert to one-hit regular troops."
I don't see why you said the first part at all. What does a cloaker in Planetside 2 being one-hit by a sniper have to do with its balance toward other classes?

Basically you're just arguing to gimp the sniper as much as possible so that they can one-hit other troops. Even if you made the sniper rifle a 1 hour cooldown between shots you'd still have a gun that essentially allows you to one-hit a soldier without them reacting. The whole idea with sniping is you have range. You can hit them and they can't hit you. That means your penalty should be a slower TTK. You can't have a slower TTK if you suddenly allow a player to one-hit other players. It's completely unacceptable, and I don't say this often, but unbalanceable.

This is also ignoring the concept that sniper rifles are empire specific and each behaves differently. You can't have a TR sniper that has a faster fire rate one-hitting since statistically it would favor them. What you'd need is a totally separate NS sniper.
Old 2012-04-04, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
What does a cloaker in Planetside 2 being one-hit by a sniper have to do with its balance toward other classes?
Counter-sniping that you didn't have in the original?

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-04-04 at 03:12 PM.
Old 2012-04-04, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Sgt Shultz
Corporal

There is no balance to this concept. If anything this is an open invitation to abuse by allow snipers to shoot and instantly recloak, free from retribution. There will be no counter-sniping via your proposed concept. Hunting down a sniper would be a pointless enterprise. I could easily see this concept being abused.

Other games such as Global Agenda had a very good sniping and cloaking dynamic and it took a minimum of two shots to kill on the weaker classes (cloaked) and more for the less mobile but tougher classes. No reason to reinvent the wheel, and especially no reason to introduce a mechanic so difficult to counter a single sniper.
Old 2012-04-04, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Sgt Shultz View Post
There is no balance to this concept. If anything this is an open invitation to abuse by allow snipers to shoot and instantly recloak, free from retribution. There will be no counter-sniping via your proposed concept. Hunting down a sniper would be a pointless enterprise. I could easily see this concept being abused.

Other games such as Global Agenda had a very good sniping and cloaking dynamic and it took a minimum of two shots to kill on the weaker classes (cloaked) and more for the less mobile but tougher classes. No reason to reinvent the wheel, and especially no reason to introduce a mechanic so difficult to counter a single sniper.
Counter-sniping is when you wait for enemy sniper to reveal himself and instagib him the second he does. Just saying.

Old 2012-04-04, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

I have total faith in the devs to balance sniping. It was awesome in Planetside, and it doesn't need to be changed much to fit right into PS2.
Old 2012-04-04, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
ThirdCross
Contributor
Corporal

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
You people need to SERIOUSLY start taking TTK into consideration. Having a sniper rifle that has the least TTK in the game of all weapons is actually worse than just removing it.
Wasn't that the situation in PS1? I thought it worked fine then and don't see any reason to change it. You have to take into consideration that while TTKs are being reduced they are still relatively high compared to most other FPSs. If the TTK for most midrange weapons is ~.75 seconds and the sniper is OSOK THAT creates some balance issues.

EDIT: My bad, mistook your post for advocating OSOK snipers. I'll keep my post the same just cause it reflects my feelings on how snipers should be in PS2.

Last edited by ThirdCross; 2012-04-04 at 04:49 PM.
Old 2012-04-04, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Based on your thread about trolling and self admission of being a massive troll, the fact that this is terribly written (I have NO idea what you're asking here), and that you've demonstrated being able to write perfectly legibly in the past. I'm going to go ahead and assume this is a troll post, especially because there's already a sniper thread going on where this discussion has already been taking place.

This just seems far too well set up to try and instigate some flaming.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-04-04, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by ThirdCross View Post
Wasn't that the situation in PS1? I thought it worked fine then and don't see any reason to change it. You have to take into consideration that while TTKs are being reduced they are still relatively high compared to most other FPSs. If the TTK for most midrange weapons is ~.75 seconds and the sniper is OSOK THAT creates some balance issues.
Sniper rifle had the highest TTK of any gun in the game except to cloakers. You fired then reloaded (assuming you weren't dual holstering) then aligned your next shot and fired again. This is one of the reasons you rarely saw people using a sniper in a corridor since it was weaker than a shotgun. (The HSR on the other hand was good at nearly all ranges).
Old 2012-04-04, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Based on your thread about trolling and self admission of being a massive troll, the fact that this is terribly written (I have NO idea what you're asking here), and that you've demonstrated being able to write perfectly legibly in the past. I'm going to go ahead and assume this is a troll post, especially because there's already a sniper thread going on where this discussion has already been taking place.

This just seems far too well set up to try and instigate some flaming.
Yehaw.

And/or

'This'
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion