What will being "a good FPS player" mean in PlanetSide 2? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Drinking your chocolate milk since 2003!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-08-01, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
LostSoul

Re: What will being "a good FPS player" mean in PlanetSide 2?

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Nobody wants warping in Planetside 2 though.
Please for the love of saint mickey read stuff in context.

And if there is a saint mickey.. that would be awesome!
Old 2011-08-01, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
Please for the love of saint mickey read stuff in context.

And if there is a saint mickey.. that would be awesome!
Um, the rest of your post is about warping in PS1, so if there's no warping in PS2 it's moot.
Old 2011-08-01, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by DreaM View Post
Perhaps in your opinion. I personally really enjoy games like ArmA and Project Reality. Realism when done right is fun
As I've played neither of those games I can't comment, but I expect the fun comes from the mechanics of those games rather than the realism. As you said, you could put them in a Planetside setting and still have it be fun.

I wasn't saying realism and fun were mutually exclusive, but that fun should take priority when given the choice.
Old 2011-08-01, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
LostSoul

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Um, the rest of your post is about warping in PS1, so if there's no warping in PS2 it's moot.
Yes, which was related to a post which was miss read on the first page of this topic. This quotation system doesn't work for me, it should've linked that post too. I'm nub at forumside.
Old 2011-08-01, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
DreaM
Private

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
As I've played neither of those games I can't comment, but I expect the fun comes from the mechanics of those games rather than the realism. As you said, you could put them in a Planetside setting and still have it be fun.

I wasn't saying realism and fun were mutually exclusive, but that fun should take priority when given the choice.
Fun is such a loaded word. Fun is subjective. I personally disagree with your opinion.
Old 2011-08-01, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
Moving is one, the a+d statement is another. Hitting someone inside a wall/staircase/box/roof is sort of hard. Currently I feel someone with better mechanics (read: better at warping but with mediocre aim) is rewarded more then someone with a good aim.
So yea you would have no problem with straifing if there is no movment prediction that predicts people going through walls in PS2 then?

which there is a 99% liklyness that there wont be...since not many games use extrapolation anymore.

All these arguments againt straifing are peoples grips with a movment prediction system thats 8 years old, people need to get over it..they can fix that...what you need to look at is if you want the game to play like another COD or BF clone or like tribes, quake or unreal...where planetsides roots lie.

Seems the devs are going the clone root though, sadly.
Old 2011-08-02, 02:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
It is slightly irritating that people are trying to come up with overly creative yet unnecessary solutions to a problem that very likely won't exist in PS2.

If I remember reading correctly, with the hybrid client/server side model, all in-game physics (like movement), will be handled by the server? Can't be 100% sure, but I think that pretty much handles any ridiculous warping issues. People should stop trying to turn this into an ultra realistic shooter that no one will play because it won't be fun.
I'm pretty sure they will use the other movment model(interpolation) where your client runs at a 1 packet delay, and renders movement between the last 2 packets its received. there wont be asmuch warping, but if the servers tickrate is low like it is in PS1...while people wont warp up through the roof, they could likely still render through pillars as in one packet they're on the left of it and on the next they're on the other side..so the game would render their movement through it...but with a high enough tick rate that wont be a problem...the same could be said about PS1 too...with a high enough tick rate extrapolation would not be a problem, because their is less time in between packets, so less correcting of the packets. (thats warp in nub speak)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion