SCU Shield Change on PTS - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the Uber-Secret Midget Army.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-04-30, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: SCU Shield Change on PTS

Considering I havn't seen fights where there are 650 - 650 - 650 fighting over the same base...

Instead, I've not seen the size of fights we had in ps1. I've just seen groups of zerg move from point to point using nearest base and pretty borders principles.

Let us first see if the bigger battles will occur in the new system.

Besides, I don't think the smaller bases were designed for anything over 8 vs 8. There simply isn't room for defenders in most of the spawn boxes.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-04-30 at 06:27 PM.
Old 2013-05-01, 05:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Greenthy
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
is it too late to completely scrap and redesign the bases?

the fights in ps1 were great! and i would prefer ps1 style bases and mechanics all the way!

the main features that made ps1 base-fights work and that are totally missing in ps2:

Bases had a ringwall with only 3 entrances (2 gates to courtyard, 1 backdoor to interior) -> easy to coordinate a defence until hotdrops or maxcrushes break the lines.

Bases had one(!) mainbuilding with all the tactical stuff inside. so no vehicle spawncamping but several methods to turn the tide other than just sending in wave after wave of brave men. (hacking terminals/radar/doors, blowing and holding down the generator, blowing the spawntubes, drain energy,etc.)

the fights had only one little flaw: often after spawns were down, the defenders left and the attackers had to wait at this base for 15 minutes until it would flip and give the xp.

so how can we make planetside 2 as fun as ps1 was, and polish it a little more to get rid of the unnecessary congoline time?

scrap the open base design, reintroduce doors, put spawnrooms where they belong - at the most secure place in the base and make the tubes themself destroyable instead of putting a scu somewhere else, where freshly spawned soldiers cannot defend it.

the locations of the spawnrooms are the biggest mistake in ps2´s design. the camping starts too early and the victims are restricted to a very small room with no chance to escape. camping happened in ps1 as well, but you needed a zerg to completely camp a spawnroom and the victims had the chance to fight back for some time until the spawnroom was flooded with enemies because the camping started at a big area and the attackers had to close the circle slowly and step by step . in ps2 you only need 2 tanks or one lib to completely lockdown a spawnroom.

the hack and hold mechanic was also a lot better than the bf capture mechanic! just standing near a capture point is stupid. having to hack a console while your team has to keep your 6 was far more thrilling!
like i said, the only flaw was the boring 15 min timer that forced you to stay at the base even when all enemies went away.
so please reintroduce the hack and hold routine, just change the timer thing. or keep the timers as they were, just change how xp is given, to allow the victorious attackers to move along while the timer is still ticking.
²²²²²

This plus add the addition of number selecting loadouts (numpad) at a terminal would make even spawn camping and breaking exciting

I basicly miss gal dropping a base, getting in there with effort and having a defendable position once inside.

Last edited by Greenthy; 2013-05-01 at 05:18 AM.
Old 2013-05-01, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

I would love to see some variety of game play as well. If you have doors - make it so you need C4 to blow them open. SCUs need to be hacked by infiltrators, Engineers can construct or squad leaders can call down disrupters to make hacking take longer, ... that kind of thing.

This way an infiltrator cant take down an SCU by himself, he needs someone with C4 to open the door. This all adds a layer of strategy and team work, makes the game more fun, and increases defensibility (slightly).

Last edited by Rahabib; 2013-05-01 at 09:48 AM.
Old 2013-05-01, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by wasdie View Post
Actually they've said that they are working on the tech to prevent a faction from overloading the generators on a disconnected hex. You have to have a hex connected to be able to attack the enemy. I also believe you need to have full control of your control point before you can attack an enemy from that hex.

So if you're on the defense, you cannot just counter attack mid-fight and start flipping their adjacent hex. You have to drive them off of your hex fully first.

Better flow overall.
Thats good. I hope they do this.
Old 2013-05-07, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Kail
Staff Sergeant

Update via tweets today:

and more interesting:

So not only will blowing the SCU disable spawning, it will also stop The Alamo now too
Old 2013-05-07, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

I'm going to have to give this a look before rendering a verdict.

I still think that they should put the generators back in, so that you have to take out a generator in order to down the SCU Shield (Honestly can't recall if they put that back in yet or not).

I think this is good though. You loose your generator or 50% of the base cap, you loose your SCU, you have now lost the ability to spawn in, And your SCU room's defenses can now be used by the attackers.

To the people saying that this is a step away from contested spawn rooms, I think your wrong. This is most assuredly a step in that direction. Now, Spawns in facilities are convertable.

It adds in an extra step in there for defenders, and despite what some people are saying about offense being secondary to defense, I really just don't see that at all. Offensive has so many more tools than defense, since defenses are themselves fixed in place and predictable, all offense can simply Sidestep defense, just not that hard.
Old 2013-05-08, 07:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Bravix View Post
There wasn't anything wrong with the way Planetside did it (IMO). Take away exp from overloading gens and you won't have people farming them for certs. Make them a strategic target, not a cert resource.
Exactly.

At present the fights at bases are poor, apart from Bio Lab. I see this change as not improving the fight at AMPS and TECHS but making them worse at Bio Labs.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion