Let's assume for a moment that a faction is wiped out on a continent. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: where we all know our ABC's upto atleast C
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-31, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Let's assume for a moment that a faction is wiped out on a continent.

What would happen to the faction that was wiped out? Obviously they wouldn't be able to spawn anywhere once the last base is taken over, so how would that faction get back into it?

I'm assuming it has something to do with a timer and then a number of bases being given to the wiped out faction (Or a continent reset?)
Old 2013-05-31, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: Let's assume for a moment that a faction is wiped out on a continent.

The same way PS1 did it. Allow factions to invade continents they have nothing on.

Old 2013-05-31, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Never played PS1. Would have done if it had been free though. *Turns out empty pockets*

Where would the wiped out factions units come from though (seeing as there's no spawn points on the continent left)?

Also, just saw the questions for new players section (boy do I feel like an idiot) so go ahead move the topic there.
Old 2013-05-31, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
Never played PS1. Would have done if it had been free though. *Turns out empty pockets*

Where would the wiped out factions units come from though (seeing as there's no spawn points on the continent left)?

Also, just saw the questions for new players section (boy do I feel like an idiot) so go ahead move the topic there.
ps1 had sanctuaries. those were like the footholds in ps2 but on a seperate landmass, only available to the appropriate faction. from there you could use a warpgate to get back to a continent that was locked by another faction.
ps1 warpgates had no bases inside, just the gate and a tower nearby.

another method of transport was a shuttle that started from the sanctuary every 5 minutes that allowed you to droppod anywhere on any cont where you owned at least one base. so a locked cont could only be invaded by warpgate, but continents where you had a foothold could be massdroppodded by whole platoons much like some outfits use the squaddeploy to storm unsuspecting enemy entranchments.

ans ps1 should be free for you now. look into your soe station account and check if planetside shows up for you with a 6 months of free time!
download is free (check the ps1 part of this forum for details)

so you - and any other ps2 player should be able to at least take a look at ps1. it is outdated, but a whole different experience than ps2. if you manage to ignore the old graphics you might learn a lot about what we bittervets cry about so often

oh, and join a squad in ps1 asap and ask someone for help, because there is so much to do, you will have a hard time figuring out everything on your own. that was a major issue with ps1, because ads kids would leave the game before they even understood what they could do, or because they failed to make a decent loadout and got killed to fast.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2013-05-31 at 06:13 PM.
Old 2013-05-31, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Shogun
Contributor
General

but back on topic:

in ps2, when the contlocking gets in, i assume warpgates will finally get a real gate function. so from your last warpgate that is not contestable, you will be able to choose any or at least one warpgate on any continent to go to. and the lattice also sends a link through the warpgate, so you can take the gate on the target continent to have a new foothold.

but i will never give up the hope, that we will get sanctuaries back to gather troops and start a continental campaign with the element of surprise.

Last edited by Shogun; 2013-05-31 at 06:21 PM.
Old 2013-05-31, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

I had a look at PS1, but from what I understand it says 6 months provided you already installed either PS. I'm currently waiting on a new comp to play PS2 and can't waste 15 gig download twice (would have to download PS2 on a comp I wouldn't even be able to PLAY it on) when I only got 40 a month.

I'm hoping I'm wrong on that and would gladly download PS1 (Link please) while waiting on the comp (and maybe even play after). If I get into the game though and it stops being free after those six months, it's going to be a real mood killer. (But at least I'll have PS2.)

Or maybe I just need a PS2 account to download it? I dunno.

Edit: I recall something about people with only current accounts at the time they said it would be free. I only made mine a few days ago.

Last edited by Taramafor; 2013-05-31 at 06:29 PM.
Old 2013-05-31, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Shogun
Contributor
General

http://planetside.station.sony.com/

download button is top left screen corner.

ps1 has about 1.5gb i think.
but i am not sure if your account qualifies for the free time if you only made it a few days ago. go to your account on the sony site and check your "game pass" section. there all soe games are listed with your status. if planetside says "closed" you are out of luck. if there is any date displayed, you can download ps1 and try it.

Old 2013-05-31, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

No account on the sony site so it's a safe bet to assume I'm out of luck. Why the heck didn't they just make it free to play for all with PS2 out?
Old 2013-05-31, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sifer2
Major

Well a good point here is that since PS2 doesn't have Sanctuaries it leaves it up in the air how exactly they will handle cont locking. Since they said it may go in as early as Hossin. One way would be to give each Empire at foothold on one of the existing continents, and make all other warpgates neutral. It's still an unsatisfying setup IMO. I want Sancts back. But I think this time they should be Orbital space stations like we discussed in out theory crafting threads before PS2 was out.
Old 2013-05-31, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Shogun
Contributor
General

i read somewhere, that the actual plan (which may change) is, that warpgates will be contestable, but if your faction got only one warpgate left, this one will be uncontestable until you have 2 gates again. so it´s not a fixed gate for every faction.

and about the ps1 free time, i wondered what you meant with "no account" and checked my account. seems like soe changed the account sites! mine doesn´t mention planetside 1 no more as well. but i still have the free time. i just don´t see it anymore anywhere in my account.
but i´m from europe and this might be related to soe´s deal with pro7 for europe.

so if you can afford to download 1.5 gb without knowing for sure that you got free time, just try. if 1.5 gb downloaded in vain is a problem, i am sorry to say i don´t know how to validate the free time anymore.

Old 2013-06-01, 01:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

We need sanctuaries back. Full stop. They don't need to be big and elaborate. We just need a sanctum sanctorum where we can practice and organize and lick our wounds and plot vengeance.... and at least two warp gates, a rotating one and one leading to our anointed 'home continent', that we can march into when we're ready.
Old 2013-06-01, 04:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
We need sanctuaries back. Full stop. They don't need to be big and elaborate. We just need a sanctum sanctorum where we can practice and organize and lick our wounds and plot vengeance.... and at least two warp gates, a rotating one and one leading to our anointed 'home continent', that we can march into when we're ready.
Yup, and with VR they already have the basis for these, all they need is a working warpgate to the other continents.

Actually the difference between VR and sanctuaries is ...........
Old 2013-06-01, 05:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
ps1 had sanctuaries. those were like the footholds in ps2 but on a seperate landmass, only available to the appropriate faction. from there you could use a warpgate to get back to a continent that was locked by another faction.
ps1 warpgates had no bases inside, just the gate and a tower nearby.

another method of transport was a shuttle that started from the sanctuary every 5 minutes that allowed you to droppod anywhere on any cont where you owned at least one base. so a locked cont could only be invaded by warpgate, but continents where you had a foothold could be massdroppodded by whole platoons much like some outfits use the squaddeploy to storm unsuspecting enemy entranchments.

ans ps1 should be free for you now. look into your soe station account and check if planetside shows up for you with a 6 months of free time!
download is free (check the ps1 part of this forum for details)

so you - and any other ps2 player should be able to at least take a look at ps1. it is outdated, but a whole different experience than ps2. if you manage to ignore the old graphics you might learn a lot about what we bittervets cry about so often

oh, and join a squad in ps1 asap and ask someone for help, because there is so much to do, you will have a hard time figuring out everything on your own. that was a major issue with ps1, because ads kids would leave the game before they even understood what they could do, or because they failed to make a decent loadout and got killed to fast.
am getting PS1 right now, since when did it come free for everyone?!
Old 2013-06-01, 05:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
am getting PS1 right now, since when did it come free for everyone?!
since its tenth birthday about a week ago! but soe didn´t advertise this!

it isn´t free for everybody, but for every former ps1 or ps2 player.
seems like there is no way to see if you are eligable for the free time any more but to download and just test it.

if it works for you, go and tell your friends! there were no emails to customers from soe for some reason.

Old 2013-06-01, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
Actually the difference between VR and sanctuaries is ...........
the only differences are:

the vr has no warpgate (easy to do for sure)
the vr has no shuttlebay for the high altitude rapid transport.

so yes, converting the vr to a sanctuary should be the easiest way to implement sanctuaries. just rename them, change the vr bordergrid to a shield dome, maybe put some kind of gridbox over the vr enemies that stand around there. and of course plant one or two warpgates.

don´t know if we really need the hart with all the squad deploy options around, but if it was reintroduced for nostalgia reasons, it has to get the takeoff shedule like it had in ps1. maybe even the longer waiting time from early after release, so it will not become the main respawn method to get anywhere fast, but mainly a tool for an organised mass surprise attack from the skies that can only happen every 15 or 30 minutes

so vr and sanctuary would be in the same map. the vr enemies being in the shooting ranges and the vr gridbox (that would just serve as an optical indicator of the vr zone) and the rest of the map being used to stage attacks.

Last edited by Shogun; 2013-06-01 at 06:13 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion