"It's Just a Game" - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What happens if you play 100 hours a day.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-12-18, 06:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ridetehlightnin
Staff Sergeant

"It's Just a Game"

After reading about some guys problems with the TR Markov cr5s, and how one of them said, "It's only a game" I felt i needed to communicate a few ideas..

- Yes, It is only a game, but does that mean we shouldn't take the objective of it seriosly? Isn't that why we play games, to complete an objective. Here, it's Defending wat u got/capturing some more bases. As far as i read, thx to the markov tr cr5s, the tr didnt success in any of it. Had one cr5 had replied correctly to someone, rather than say 'its only a game', wouldnt the tr have done much better that night? And isnt that what the game's about?

- People can read this post and continue thinking 'It's only a game', but when they play planetside and just muck around, they are letting down the players who bought planetside, and pay for it monthly, who actually want to play it how its meant to be played! Ahem!
Old 2004-12-18, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
martyr
Contributor
Brigadier General

Misc Info

since i was defending the idea that it's just a game, here's what i mean, more specifically.

yes, we can take our game objectives seriously, and i'll admit that i usually do.

however, that doesn't merit getting angry at someone for not telling everyone else to do what you want them to.

when i say "it's just a game" i mean that we're there to have fun. if you get yourself that worked up over what someone's saying to other people because you think it's wrong, maybe you need to take a step back.

i know the cool thing has always been to say the cr5s are all idiots. it's a great generalization to make. in fact, the title of the thread all about iMartyr's decision addresses "TR Markov cr5s." also smart. one guy makes one decision and you conclude that anyone wearing a red backpack is an idiot.

here's how it looks:
"i saw a guy knock an old lady down once because he sucked at skateboarding."
"yeah, all skateboarders suck and are stupid."

that's taking things too seriously. that's falling into the OF trap. that's when i say "it's only a game."

now to take it from kam's point of view, if he had been more open and friendly about the conversation - and willing to understand that imartyr has significantly more information and experience - things would have gone much more smoothly, and perhaps he would even have been able to influence the decision to defend.

more anecdote:

if someone says to me
"roland, you've got a surface low developing rapidly just south of your route about 100 miles ahead"
then i'm likely to take this into account, and i may adjust my plan accordingly.

if someone says to me
"wtf, you idiot, why're you flying that way? there's a massive storm over there you moron!"
then i'll think to myself 'to hell with that tool' and tell him to bugger off.

why? because some random passenger who's browsing weather.com saw rain on the map, whereas i have years of flight and meteorology training behind me.

this game is not about fighting bots, it's about working with people, so you can have fun killing other people.

social skills are important here. calling people morons, idiots, etc. won't improve your reputation for providing good strategic information, and will severely erode your potential for influencing the direction of your empire.

that's when you need to relax and remember that it's just a game.

Last edited by martyr; 2004-12-18 at 11:26 AM.
Old 2004-12-18, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ridetehlightnin
Staff Sergeant

I agree with a lot of what you are saying yes. ys if this guy had been more polite you would have acted dif. I just realised, why is everyone bitching about it on the PSU forums? Who really gives.. I must delete this thread =]
Old 2004-12-18, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
martyr
Contributor
Brigadier General

Misc Info

haha, also a good question. isn't the OF made for threads like these?
they're pretty out-of-place around here.
Old 2004-12-18, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

CR5s on average don't take anything but criticism with any kind of effort.

Old 2004-12-19, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

All CR 5's get is shit most of the time. Weather we win or lose. I have just decided to stop /comall and /comcont. It is useless to even try. They will ignore you or they will send you hate through /tells. Not all CR5's are bad guys, I hope you all know that.

Old 2004-12-19, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
KIAsan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by SilverLord
All CR 5's get is shit most of the time. Weather we win or lose. I have just decided to stop /comall and /comcont. It is useless to even try. They will ignore you or they will send you hate through /tells. Not all CR5's are bad guys, I hope you all know that.
Ahh, another convert. Doesn't take long. When you first get CR5, your like, "wow, now I can make a difference". Then you soon learn the sad fact that: 1) It's a lot of work running a continent's battle. 2) Your only effective if your winning (then the zerg halfway listens). 3) If your not winning, your getting hate tells. 4) You had better be certed as an engy with mossy, since your going to end up flying around to repair gens & tubes. and my personal favorite, 5) Other idiot CR5s, who come late to the battle and just start issuing their own objectives, which pretty much screws everything, since now the zerg is hearing two sets of objectives. Usually these asshats either think they are god's gift to warfare or they just think they are in charge by some divine right.

And of course, be prepared to get blamed for everything that goes wrong, and get zero credit for everything that goes right. Add that all together, and you have the CR5 experience. That's why most of us just sit on the sidelines and play our own game. At least the OS is cool.

If it's not nailed down, it's mine. If I can pry it up, it's not nailed down.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion