Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2006-12-27, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

Music playback "skips"

Hey folks,

I've been having a problem recently with my music playback. On my computer, I have all the songs that I own in mp3 or m4a format. When I play them (using any software... including WMP10 and iTunes7), there are random "skips" in the songs. It sounds exactly like what happens when a CD is lightly scratched. It's not a repetitive-playback of the last second like a deep CD scratch, but just a "hiccup" in the playback.

Now, here's what I know:
It happens in both WMP10 and iTunes7.
It doesn't happen in the same place in the song every time.
My computer is "idling" other than just the music program. (I.E., no major tasks running.)
It happens with both CD-imported music and iTunes-downloaded music.
When I noticed this problem, I updated my sound drivers thinking that was the problem. (it wasn't.)
A few months ago, it never happened. Within the past month, it's become regular.

Any help?!
Old 2006-12-27, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Setari
General

Re: Music playback "skips"

It might be your sound card itself. That's all I can think of it being.
Old 2006-12-27, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
MattxMosh
Contributor
Major

Did you destroy all traces of your previous sound drivers?
Old 2006-12-27, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

In dxdiag, try playing around with your hardware sound acceleration. The slider should be all the way to the right.

Like Matt suggested; remove the traces of any previous drivers. If that doesnt work. Uninstall and then Reinstall the card from Device Manager.
Old 2006-12-27, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

Here's another bit of info: it doesn't always happen. For example, I just listened to about 10 songs in a row and didn't hear any skipping whatsoever.
Old 2006-12-27, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

Still sounds like corrupted drivers or driver fragments.
Old 2006-12-28, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

Can I get some detailed instructions as to how to hunt down the old drivers and delete them? Or instructions as to how to do anything to fix this?
Old 2006-12-28, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Kam
Major

Spybot has an option to remove drivers that are no longer in use or fragmented.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
Old 2006-12-28, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

Can anyone interpret this? This is the "system internals" scan in Spybot:

Code:
Category: Wrong app path
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\mplayer2.exe
Filename: "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe"
    Data: 

Category: Missing helpfile
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help\artgalry.chm
Filename: artgalry.chm
    Data: 

Category: Missing shared DLL
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\FntNames.db
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\FntNames.db
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Msvcrt10.dll
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Msvcrt10.dll
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\cob_____.pfb
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\cob_____.pfb
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\cobo____.pfb
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\cobo____.pfb
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\com_____.pfb
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\com_____.pfb
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\coo_____.pfb
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\coo_____.pfb
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\MOB_____.PFB
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\MOB_____.PFB
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\MOB_____.PFM
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\MOB_____.PFM
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\MOBI____.PFB
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\MOBI____.PFB
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\MOBI____.PFM
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\MOBI____.PFM
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\MOI_____.PFB
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\MOI_____.PFB
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\MOI_____.PFM
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\MOI_____.PFM
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\MORG____.PFB
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\MORG____.PFB
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\MORG____.PFM
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\MORG____.PFM
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\pfm\COB_____.PFM
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\pfm\COB_____.PFM
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\pfm\COBO____.PFM
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\pfm\COBO____.PFM
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\pfm\COM_____.PFM
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\pfm\COM_____.PFM
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\pfm\COO_____.PFM
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\pfm\COO_____.PFM
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\pfm\SY______.PFM
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\pfm\SY______.PFM
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\pfm\ZD______.PFM
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\pfm\ZD______.PFM
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\SY______.PFB
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\SY______.PFB
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\wmb_____.pfb
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\wmb_____.pfb
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\wmb_____.pfm
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\wmb_____.pfm
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\wmbi____.pfb
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\wmbi____.pfb
    Data:
continued...
Old 2006-12-28, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

Code:
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\wmbi____.pfm
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\wmbi____.pfm
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\wmi_____.pfb
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\wmi_____.pfb
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\wmi_____.pfm
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\wmi_____.pfm
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\wmr_____.pfb
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\wmr_____.pfb
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\wmr_____.pfm
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\wmr_____.pfm
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\ZD______.PFB
Filename: C:\DOCUME~1\ANDREW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_ISTMP1.DIR\_ISTMP0.DIR\FileGrp\Reqrd\Base\ZD______.PFB
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Rhapsody.exe
Filename: C:\PROGRA~1\HPRHAP~1\rhapsody.exe
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\_ispmres.dll
Filename: C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\_ispmres.dll
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\yourapp.Exe
Filename: C:\Program Files\HP\Non Driver CIO Components\yourapp.Exe
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\MOH.exe
Filename: C:\Program Files\NetWaiting\MOH.exe
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\ORUN32.EXE
Filename: C:\WINDOWS\ORUN32.EXE
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\cmmgr32.exe
Filename: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmmgr32.exe
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls\C:\WINDOWS\system32\msxml3a.dll
Filename: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msxml3a.dll
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help\dao360.chm
Filename: dao360.chm
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help\jetdef40.chm
Filename: jetdef40.chm
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help\jetsql40.chm
Filename: jetsql40.chm
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help\msjro.chm
Filename: msjro.chm
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Help\nmplace.hlp
Filename: nmplace.hlp
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\setup.exe
Filename: setup.exe
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\table30.exe
Filename: table30.exe
    Data: 

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help\Wireless_Assistant.chm
Filename: Wireless_Assistant.chm
    Data:
Old 2006-12-29, 01:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Well to me it looks like I really wish I knew what the hell I was talking about right now so I could seem semi intelligent.

Shoulda went to college.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2006-12-29, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Hamma
PSU Admin

It doesnt look good, run the repair

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2006-12-29, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

Lol... where's Marsman when you need him? This is right up his alley...
Old 2006-12-29, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

He's "around"

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2007-01-31, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

hey folks, this is a bump.

I've noticed that the sound in videos that I play, both on the internet and on my computer, does NOT skip whatsoever. Does this mean that it's fixable, or do I have to send this laptop back to the makers?
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge