Beta Question - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: line starts here.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Keep Skills or Start Over
Keep Skills 1 1.79%
Start Over 55 98.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-07-23, 04:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Beta Question

So when the beta does start, and we have access to all the crazy number of skills that will take a long time to learn them all. And I'm sure there will be changes to the skills themselves.

Question is, if it is set up as learning skills normally like in release version, we the beta testers characters retain the skills learned and not removed from the beta, or start anew at a level 1 status.

And what would you all prefer? Keeping skills or starting fresh?
Old 2011-07-23, 04:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: Beta Question

I'm sure the beta that the majority of us (all of us?) that get into is going to be a start-from-scratch extended stress test in late closed or open. I'd prefer if we all start launch tabula rasa. Beta players will have enough of a functional play experience lead (and possibly PS1 players more than that) so the extra skills would be excessive. Simply having tested a basic skill build order will put beta players ahead on the time scale as they won't necessarily be so apt to waste time skilling this and that, testing what they want to use.

That and I can't think of a single game that has let players keep beta progress. Headstart, sure, but that's only a few days.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2011-07-23, 04:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Well of course I would like keeping my progress, I mean who wouldn't.

Still, they should, and probably will start again from zero
Old 2011-07-23, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
I'm sure the beta that the majority of us (all of us?) that get into is going to be a start-from-scratch extended stress test in late closed or open. I'd prefer if we all start launch tabula rasa. Beta players will have enough of a functional play experience lead (and possibly PS1 players more than that) so the extra skills would be excessive. Simply having tested a basic skill build order will put beta players ahead on the time scale as they won't necessarily be so apt to waste time skilling this and that, testing what they want to use.

That and I can't think of a single game that has let players keep beta progress. Headstart, sure, but that's only a few days.
There is one!

APB Reloaded kept everything from a certain point of late closed beta to open beta and there will be no more wipes even from open beta to launch.

And in all honesty, it wasn't a bad idea. Game knowledge goes so far in that game, not to mention there was huge amounts of vets from RealTime World's APB who simply steamrolled every non-vet, so when open beta started, having the vets already higher up in the game meant that they wouldnt be fighting the new guys so much, but each other.

It has a matchmaking system, unlike Planetside (not saying Planetside needs one or anything, though ).

That being said, I'd be looking for a fresh start in Planetsides case. Although on one hand, I'm sure it could be beneficial to have commanders who already know the game a bit more, the first few days will probably be somewhat chaotic
Old 2011-07-23, 05:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Definitely start over for retail.

Maybe do an early access kinda thing, but definitely no keeping skills from beta.
Old 2011-07-23, 05:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Desoxy
Corporal

Since beta != demo, I would prefer I a clean slate for retail launch.

That way you can test more efficiently.. plus you would not alienate newcomers.
Old 2011-07-23, 05:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Timey
Staff Sergeant

Absolutely there must be a skill reset after beta, also lol @ 100% for reset
Old 2011-07-23, 06:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
SKYeXile
Major General

Lol for sure

unless beta has cash shop, then it may carryover.
Old 2011-07-23, 07:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Lol for sure

unless beta has cash shop, then it may carryover.
Once again to pull APB in to this. They had this refund promotion to encourage testing the cash shop. You would still need to buy the G1 points, but when you bought stuff with them, you actually got to keep all the stuff you bought for hte durations, but they also gave you a 100% refund. Just giving out the stuff from the cash shop would test the items themselves, but not the functionality of the transactions.

So, you for example bought 2000 points worth of premium (lets say it lasts 6 months), so you then had the premium for 6 months, but you got the 2000 points back

Given, they still didnt reset it, but what I guess SoE could do is make a similar kind of refund-promo and even if characters would get wiped, your account after the wipe could still carry over the cash shop benefits you bought.
Old 2011-07-23, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Cash shop in a beta? Honestly? Sounds like a total scam if you have to pay for it lol.
Old 2011-07-23, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Cash shop in a beta? Honestly? Sounds like a total scam if you have to pay for it lol.
You don't. The game is totally free to play and the only stuff you don't have full access to without paying is the customization (you get a limited amount, but still get fairly much to customize).

Also, Minecraft?
Old 2011-07-23, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
You don't. The game is totally free to play and the only stuff you don't have full access to without paying is the customization (you get a limited amount, but still get fairly much to customize).

Also, Minecraft?
I am referring to a real beta. One where it is closed and meant specifically for testing. Minecraft, APB, and LoL are 'beta' labeled, but are there to make people play and earn money for the game. If a player is there in a real beta it stupid of a company to make them buy stuff from a cash shop to test the item.
Old 2011-07-23, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I expect them to close down the beta servers at the end of beta... Especially cause I also expect them to have some chances to make it easier to get through the tree to test it all ^^
Old 2011-07-23, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Lunarchild View Post
I expect them to close down the beta servers at the end of beta... Especially cause I also expect them to have some chances to make it easier to get through the tree to test it all ^^
This. Sounds like it will take ages to max out your char in PS2, so this won't work in beta. Maybe they will even let you select X amount of skills at one time in order to test them instead of training and also allowing you to get rid of those to try others.
Old 2011-07-23, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
killergopher
Private

Closed beta reset when retail drops. Keep it simple and fair, ive never been a fan of head start. I have been on both ends of that coin and its nice to have a jump on lvling and skills but its lame if you're a new comer or a casual player like my self. it just makes the gap between you and the hardcore players that much bigger and harder to overcome.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion