Sound and destructable enviorments like BF3 Please. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Beware teh lakes!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-10-01, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dreamcast
Major

Sound and destructable enviorments like BF3 Please.

Since playing the BF3 Beta, I was amazed at the sound in the game, is pretty top notch, how the gun fire sounds and echos...Also the environment getting destroyed around is amazing.

It really makes the game more intense IMO.

Im hoping Planetside could replicate these aspects. I would love for the sound to be amazing like BF3(not sure how to replicate laser sounds)...

Not sure if the destructible enviorments are possible since a game of grand scale but it will be great if it were possible.

Does naybody know if it's possible with the current engine the game has?

It will make the game super intense.
Old 2011-10-01, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Evilmp
Master Sergeant

Re: Sound and destructable enviorments like BF3 Please.

I've got to say, I agree BF3's sound effects are incredible.

If somebody opens up, you know instantly if he's talking about you. I would love to see this in PS2.
Old 2011-10-01, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
FIREk
Captain

The ambient noise in BFBC2+ is amazing, I must agree. The automatic voice macros are great as well. The radio messages when you win/lose an objective, the "enemy spotted" comms... Good stuff.

What BF always seemed to lack, though, is animations. Of course you don't have voice macros there, but I always liked how a voice macro in PS1 made the character perform some animation. It made the game more alive.

I wouldn't count on destructible environments in a persistent MMO. Both "persistent" and "MMO" will make the implementation difficult, if not unwanted.
Old 2011-10-01, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Captain B
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
What BF always seemed to lack, though, is animations. Of course you don't have voice macros there, but I always liked how a voice macro in PS1 made the character perform some animation. It made the game more alive.
HALP!

That was something so inherently PS that I hope it comes back, too. Both the serious stuff and the "GREETZ!"
Old 2011-10-01, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

It would still be difficult to implement, but we do have a perfect excuse for a building being demolished then miraculously appearing a few hours later: nanites.

Even so, not sure if defenses would be worth it if every wall could become a new opening.

And I agree, BF3 sound was top notch.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2011-10-01, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

For sure on BF3 I echo everyone's comments on that, their sounds are awesome and it does add another level of immersion. Course, they do have a limitless budget

Hopefully PlanetSide 2 can bring some awesome sounds to the table as well

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-10-02, 12:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I'm figuring the regular bases won't be able to be damaged or destroyed (aside from stuff like maybe blowing up turrets and sensors and generators and stuff) and player built bases aren't going to be in the game at launch, but there is probably a lot of room for destructible environments in the form of the engineer setting up cover, machine guns and maybe even resupply deployables.

Maybe it takes several tank shells to destroy some of the barricades that engis can build, so they provide great cover against infantry and even some decent cover against vehicles. Not as fun as blowing out the wall of a building, but still a little of that vibe.
Old 2011-10-02, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Traak
Colonel

I don't want destructible environments. If it's deployable, then it is destructible, obviously. Terminals, turrets, and tubes, along with generators, sure. but base walls?

I just don't find the idea of a ring of tanks being able to reduce a base and everyone in it to smoldering vapor that attractive.
Old 2011-10-02, 12:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bags
Lieutenant General

Wait, there's environmental damage in BF3 beta? I've played for about five hours and haven't noticed any.
Old 2011-10-02, 01:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
cellinaire
Captain

Destructible environments : they are likely to come. Maybe sometime in the future. Smedley himself mentioned this some time ago, so I won't expect D.E to arrive anytime soon =)
Old 2011-10-02, 02:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Traak
Colonel

3D sound

As someone mentioned in another place, sounds.

I don't just want good sounds. I want environmental effects that are perfectly accurate representations of that environment, minus the more annoying environments' effects.

Examples: When I'm inside a base, I want to hear the muffled clanking of a tank clanking by on the ground above me. I don't want to hear the tank in all its audio detail as if I'm standing beside it. I want to hear what I would hear through a foot of nanoconcrete.

When outdoors, I want to be able to hear things from very far away very faintly. I want to use all available and relevant senses. I want to hear a difference between a jet approaching and one flying away. The front of a jet sounds far different from the back, even when stationary. I want to hear this.

If they can swing it, I would like to hear doppler effect to judge speed, also.

If a door opens, I want to hear with far greater detail what is going on in the next room than if the door is closed.

Also, the character of sound from far away needs to change, also. The frequencies you hear up close are all there, in complete detail. Some of those frequencies don't really make it that far away from the source of the sound. I would like to hear that in the game. Distant indistinct rumble of jets flying by off in the Wild Purple Yonder should be markedly different, not just by volume, from the roar of jets that are flying right over your head.

Sounds need to have character radii. The frequency profile from close up needs to degrade gradually or in stages from all frequencies until when you are far enough away, it will only have certain things you can hear, like the jets I mentioned.

Artillery or tank fire afar needs to have that muffled thump and boom, while up close, you can hear the sharper sound components.

And sounds that travel through walls, floors, forests, and tunnels; I would like it if they also had character reflective of their environment.

However, certain annoying things, such as the long-lived echoes from a bare, flat-walled, flat-floored, flat-ceiling concrete room would just be annoying. I'm not talking about that. But sound inside shouldn't travel as well as sound outside, due to the presence of floors, walls, and crates, and sounds in general being mitigated and modified by their environments would be a positive thing.

I understand that not all computers have the sound processor capable of processing this level of detail, but it is nice if it is available, anyway; it is good motivation to get a better sound setup.
Old 2011-10-02, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
I just don't find the idea of a ring of tanks being able to reduce a base and everyone in it to smoldering vapor that attractive.
Especially since they're one-man vehicles. /takesafewmoreswingsatthehorse
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion